The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried, any advice greatly appreciated

Forums General Melanoma Community Worried, any advice greatly appreciated

Participant

Hello everyone..

I am newbie… Looking for some advice…

I have what I was told was a sebhorric keratosis under my breast… I saw my GP (UK)… who told me so, and a dermatoloigist who also told me the same.

I haven't given it another thought until recently (this was about 4 years ago)… until the area around the keratosis started itching…

Fast forward 3 weeks… The itching has subsided (though not completely gone)… but more alarmingly, there is a black patch appearing that wasn't there previously…

I have been searching for information as to whether sebhorric keratosis can can colour to black, but all I see is likely melanoma…

I have an appointment booked with a dermatologist in a week, but I am honestly shaking lwith fear with worry… My research is taking me down dark alleys on Google… with zero info on SK turning black/changing colour. Could it be that the doctors misdiagnosed what it was back then?

Can a sebhorric keratosis turn cancerous?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I'm not sleeping well.

Thanking you and wishing everyone wonderful healing

Kimmy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Hi Kimmy,

I would ask for it to biopsied no matter what they say. A sebhorric keratosis and melanoma can look so similar and the only way to know for sure is to biopsy. Last May I had a new dark brown growth on my calf and saw my GP and she said that is was just a sebhorric keratosis and that it was nothing to worry about. She did not refer me to a derm. I trusted her. I lived with it until October when I saw a derm for a different skin problem and asked if I could have the sebhorric keratosis taken off because it was so ugly and kept getting bigger. The derm said it needed to be biopsied to rule out melanoma. Well, two weeks later it comes back as melanoma and I'm stage 3. I really wish I would have seen a derm and had it biopsied in May, I can only speculate that it wouldn't have progressed very far at that early point. I don't want to worry you or scare you more, the area on your body that you have the sebhorric keratosis is very common (mine being on calf is uncommon for those I found out), so it's very possibly it is not melanoma. But, to be safe, get it biopsied. 

Hope all goes well for you, try not to go too far into the internet.. it can only make your anxiety worse. No need to stress a bunch before you know any real answers. 

-Jenn

wildpoppy
            Participant

Thank you Jenn

I will ask to have the thing removed as it gets irratated under my bra sometimes… This thing appeared on me out of nowhere too, about 4 years ago, which is why I went to the doctors! Doctors said it was SK… But I didn't fully trust him so I went to derm.. He said it was SK…

But now its changing, all this time later after my first 'itching' episode… There are dark speckles aroung the skin  too πŸ™ and then dark cluster of black pigment. I got a shock today e=when I saw it, as I'd only looked yesterday.

I am so sorry for your diagnosis, I have heard too many times of misdiagnosis, its disgraceful.

I hope that your treatment is going well? Did it get into lymph?

Again, thank you so much for takin the time

<3

wildpoppy
              Participant

Thank you Jenn

I will ask to have the thing removed as it gets irratated under my bra sometimes… This thing appeared on me out of nowhere too, about 4 years ago, which is why I went to the doctors! Doctors said it was SK… But I didn't fully trust him so I went to derm.. He said it was SK…

But now its changing, all this time later after my first 'itching' episode… There are dark speckles aroung the skin  too πŸ™ and then dark cluster of black pigment. I got a shock today e=when I saw it, as I'd only looked yesterday.

I am so sorry for your diagnosis, I have heard too many times of misdiagnosis, its disgraceful.

<3

wildpoppy
                Participant

Thank you Jenn

<3

jennunicorn
                Participant

Hi Kimmy,

I would ask for it to biopsied no matter what they say. A sebhorric keratosis and melanoma can look so similar and the only way to know for sure is to biopsy. Last May I had a new dark brown growth on my calf and saw my GP and she said that is was just a sebhorric keratosis and that it was nothing to worry about. She did not refer me to a derm. I trusted her. I lived with it until October when I saw a derm for a different skin problem and asked if I could have the sebhorric keratosis taken off because it was so ugly and kept getting bigger. The derm said it needed to be biopsied to rule out melanoma. Well, two weeks later it comes back as melanoma and I'm stage 3. I really wish I would have seen a derm and had it biopsied in May, I can only speculate that it wouldn't have progressed very far at that early point. I don't want to worry you or scare you more, the area on your body that you have the sebhorric keratosis is very common (mine being on calf is uncommon for those I found out), so it's very possibly it is not melanoma. But, to be safe, get it biopsied. 

Hope all goes well for you, try not to go too far into the internet.. it can only make your anxiety worse. No need to stress a bunch before you know any real answers. 

-Jenn

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Hi Kimmy,

-Jenn

Janner
                    Participant

SK's are totally benign and if it truly is a SK, it isn't mysteriously going to change into melanoma.  They are different beasts altogether.  Many SK's can be black.  Both my older parents (who have both had melanoma) had SK's that fit all the descriptions of melanoma, but they are truly SKs.  A new resident who looked at my father's back was appalled because he thought he had many melanomas — very dark, irregular shaped and large — but they were all SKs.  If observed under magnification, SKs do have a different surface structure that makes them unique and they can peel off — I've had the surface peel on a couple of mine.  That being said, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain what is the makeup of any skin lesion.  And since you are concerned that it has changed, it is a reasonable request to have it biopsied.

Google is not your friend in this case – and rarely is in very specific cases.  You just need to relax and know that you are going to have this looked at soon and taken care of.  Pre-worry never helped anyone. πŸ™‚   It most likely will come back benign and if it is something more concerning, you will have caught things early because you are being proactive now.

wildpoppy
                        Participant

Hi there 

Thank you for taking the time to reply πŸ™‚

I saw a doctor (my GP) to begin with (4 years ago as it appeared suddenly out of nowhere), but then had a derm look at it just to be sure… He did use some kind of hand held magnification thing, but I have no idea if it was the right thing?

I guess I am worried as it began itching quite alot (I know this can be typical of an SK)… but then I saw little flecks of pigment here and there on surounding skin… which I though was odd. Then today.. an area of black. I got a shock to be honest as I wasn't expected a big change like that. It hasnt changed in size, but I guess that means very little since its about 8mm already.

You are right of course re Google not being a friend! At least it led me here to you guys, thank you for helping, and reassuring me. Another reason I am freaked out is because I have had a swollen lymph node for a few months, and now I'm panicking that they are related. πŸ™

But as you say, pre-worry never helped anyone. I just cannot find any info that SK changes over time, or might slowly change colour etc…Ugh! I must stay off damn pesky Google!

Thank you so much for your time, it's really appreciated. 

Rlukas79
                          Participant
                            Under a dermoscope a trained derm can tell the difference between a SK and melanoma. Dermoscopes are now getting into the 90% accuracy range. The dermoscope technology has gotten so much better over the last 5 years. My derm won’t do a skin check without one.
                            Rlukas79
                            Participant
                              Under a dermoscope a trained derm can tell the difference between a SK and melanoma. Dermoscopes are now getting into the 90% accuracy range. The dermoscope technology has gotten so much better over the last 5 years. My derm won’t do a skin check without one.
                              Rlukas79
                              Participant
                                wildpoppy
                                Participant

Hi there 

I saw a doctor (my GP) to begin with (4 years ago as it appeared suddenly out of nowhere), but then had a derm look at it just to be sure… He did use some kind of hand held magnification thing, but I have no idea if it was the right thing?

I guess I am worried as it began itching quite alot (I know this can be typical of an SK)… but then I saw little flecks of pigment here and there on surounding skin… which I though was odd. Then today.. an area of black. I got a shock to be honest as I wasn't expected a big change like that. It hasnt changed in size, but I guess that means very little since its about 8mm already.

You are right of course re Google not being a friend! At least it led me here to you guys, thank you for helping, and reassuring me. Another reason I am freaked out is because I have had a swollen lymph node for a few months, and now I'm panicking that they are related. πŸ™

But as you say, pre-worry never helped anyone. I just cannot find any info that SK changes over time, or might slowly change colour etc…Ugh! I must stay off damn pesky Google!

wildpoppy
                                  Participant

Hi there 

Janner
                                  Participant

SK's are totally benign and if it truly is a SK, it isn't mysteriously going to change into melanoma.  They are different beasts altogether.  Many SK's can be black.  Both my older parents (who have both had melanoma) had SK's that fit all the descriptions of melanoma, but they are truly SKs.  A new resident who looked at my father's back was appalled because he thought he had many melanomas — very dark, irregular shaped and large — but they were all SKs.  If observed under magnification, SKs do have a different surface structure that makes them unique and they can peel off — I've had the surface peel on a couple of mine.  That being said, a biopsy is the only way to know for certain what is the makeup of any skin lesion.  And since you are concerned that it has changed, it is a reasonable request to have it biopsied.

Google is not your friend in this case – and rarely is in very specific cases.  You just need to relax and know that you are going to have this looked at soon and taken care of.  Pre-worry never helped anyone. πŸ™‚   It most likely will come back benign and if it is something more concerning, you will have caught things early because you are being proactive now.

Janner
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics