The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried about what might just be a big Spitz mole. But I don’t know

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Worried about what might just be a big Spitz mole. But I don’t know

Participant
      Hello there! 28-year-old, less-than-slim (okay, 227 lbs 5’2″) male here, if that helps with context.

This might be completely nothing (well, at least not melanoma, and may not even be anything serious), and I might just be wasting anyone’s time. Still, I’m kind of worried about these two things on my chest ( https://i.imgur.com/r0jZjmz.jpg ). My “best” personal diagnosis is a Spitz nevus. Big, red, shiny, itchy on and around it, occurred in a cluster (just two), very slow growing (from 2015/16, hasn’t changed in maybe a year or two). But it’s also pretty tender and painful on and around it. Perhaps even two inches around it. The tenderness comes and goes though. That could just be an extension of the itching. Maybe the constant stretching and squeezing of my chest as I move around the day irritates it. I’ll sometimes sleep on my left side and find it shrunken for a few hours, but really, it’s just more bunched up from being squeezed.

My worry is that it’s a really, really slow-growing nodular melanoma. Still, it’s just a worry. My bare chest has not seen sunlight since I was a kid. Had sunburns maybe once a year until I was 16. Pretty moley skin, including on my chest (maybe four or five). No history of skin cancer in the family, but my father, his mother and father all passed of liver, lung and throat cancer respectively (butI never drink or smoke, not even once in a super wolf blood moon).

I’d just get it checked, but I have no income currently and no insurance (live with my mother, not a lot of money and I have some physical and mental issues that make finding work difficult, but I’m now in therapy, so here’s hoping it helps!). We’re going to try to get me indigent care until I feel comfortable in my won headspace to get a job, but the sudden death of my uncle (which is probably making me more worried than I might need to be. nerves, ya know?) has thrown so many monkey wrenches in so many plans.

I guess I just wanna know if I should just convince my mother to drive me to the emergency room or if I’m likely to be okay for the several month process of getting indigent care. We’re scared of a bill half the size of a paycheck if we go to a walk-in clinic. Should we be?

I just figured that maybe y’all would have some advice for me. I’ve looked around, and it’s honestly good for me right now to see people encouraging others to keep going through hardship. The desire to help those we may never meet is, honestly, something that I enjoy seeing in the world. Even if my story ends not being applicable to this site’s mission statement, y’all are doing dang good work.

Thank you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Hey Knight, where are you from? You talked about going to an ER, that really won’t do much for you. They will make sure you are breathing well aren’t bleeding badly and aren’t suffering from some immediately life threatening condition. What you need is to see a dermatologist. Looking at the picture you posted, none of us can know that it is melanoma, but it does look quite angry and concerning. I really think you should have it looked at by a dermatologist. Is that an option for you? I hope and pray that you can get care somehow!
          Good luck with it,
          Ted
            Knight of Whispers
            Participant
              I’m from Southeast Texas. It’s gross, and wet, and humid, and there are mosquitoes everywhere. Would not recommend.

Sadly, it’s not an option right now. No insurance, little income. At least, not right now. We’re gonna shoot for indigent care until I can get my anxiety attacks from basically incapacitating me. It looks bad, but it’s looked this bad for *years*. And I have basically no other physical symptoms besides a urinary issue that I’ve have forever, and some issues just from being overweight (not big ones, but they’re there).

Unfortunately, getting indigent care is on hold for a little bit while the whole family’s dealing with a sudden loss.

Thanks for your post and concern!

casagrayson
              Participant
                I’m so sorry for your recent loss. It’s a tough time for you. I’m assuming that you are trying to get on Medicaid in Texas. Do you have a social worker that is helping you? There are different types of healthcare that are available in Texas that are somewhat short of full Medicaid — and I think a social worker could help you navigate the system quicker. Why don’t you ask your mental health professional if they can get you a referral? I can’t say much about the lesion you have, but after this much time I can’t imagine a few more weeks making much of a difference. However, the sooner you get some help with medical bills the better off your health will be overall, so I hope you can push for that.
                Knight of Whispers
                Participant
                  Thank you. I’ll get through it, but it’s tough at the moment.

I don’t have a social worker YET, but I am going to be talking with someone at the doctor’s office about trying to get me SSI in June. Yeah, I’m thinking that if it’s been the same for so long, it’s likely not going to for a while. Can’t say for 100% certain of course. Best case scenario, I get SSI, Medicaid or indigent care while I’m in therapy, use it to fund looking into my medical issues, and once I can deal with my headspace better, I can get a job.

Thanks for your post and concern! Strength and courage, indeed!

Meka.tx24
                  Participant
                    I have seen that some dermatologist offices will have dates for free skin cancer screenings. I would call around your dermo clinics and see if they are offering it anytime soon. Should be with summer coming. I’m from Texas as well but live in Florida and my dermatologist is offering it later this month. Good luck.
                  Summer S.
                  Participant
                    Hello Dear,

I believe the best approach to solving a problem is to break it down into little pieces,
                    The first little piece, and only one you should worry about now, is to get a dermatologist to check you.

Often dermatologists can determine from a regular check-up whether or not you have suspicious moles, this may just turn out to be unsuspicious or may be a very simple derma problem that just needs a topical cream.

But what if it was not? then we will think about it and find a way to finance the diagnosis process.
                    Afterwards, most companies producing melanoma meds (and they are all expensive) do offer those meds on compassionate use basis, and absolutely for free. You can also come back when you have a diagnosis and we can work it out at its time.

So, for now, just get started, baby steps with finding and financing a derma appointment, and hope for the best. I am sure it will all be ok.

Good Luck

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics