The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried about mole changing

Forums General Melanoma Community Worried about mole changing

Participant
      Hello everyone I’m 22 years and recently I noticed a mole I had since I was a toddler has changed it has been flaking off a bit when wet like after a bath and got a bit darker. No change in the size or shape of the mole though. I went to dermatologist he looked with a microscope and said it’s not cancer and wrote in his notes seborrheic keratosis. I don’t believe it’s this as SK only occurs in adults and I had this mole since childhood.
      I have now had to pay to get my mole removed and biopsied.

So here are my questions:

Can children get seborrheic keratosis ?

How accurate are the microscopes they use? He seemed pretty certain it wasn’t cancer by looking at this but I’m not convinced. what do they look for? Surely the black colour on top is a sign it’s cancer. It looks like nodular melanoma i’m only 22 and i never go out in the sun and no family history of cancer so i dont get why this is happening to me i am so worried i have health anxiety this is ruining my life im happy im getting it removed but worried its a fast spreading melanoma and it’s too late

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        soonerjenn14
        Participant
          Hi Luc,

I don’t have answers to your questions but I will say this – if you are not comfortable with the diagnosis you were given get a second opinion. I had a bad experience with a dermatologist in the past and ended up with melanoma stage IIIC a few years later. You have a right to go see someone else for a second opinion. I wish I had earlier, but luckily for me, I was able to get in treatment and am currently NED.

Best wishes and good luck!

Jenn

Luc
            Participant
              Hello Jenn

thank you so much for your response. Yes I am getting it removed with that derm so luckily it’s going to be biopsied but I think I may get a second opinion. I am sorry to hear about your bad situation with your dermatologist and your diagnosis

All the best

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics