The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

worried about melanoma removal and doctors advice

Forums General Melanoma Community worried about melanoma removal and doctors advice

Participant
      This is all new to me so any advice would be great! Today i had a melanoma in situ removed from my left ear with 5mm margins taken. The doctor is sending this to pathology and assures me if the pathology is good, that is the end of the issue. This is great news! However, the doctor who performed the removal was a second opinion i had sought after the first doctor ummed and ahhhed over that mole and told me to leave it and come back in six months. I am terrified that he has missed other possible melanomas because there were atleast two other moles he spent some time looking at, as well as the one just cut out. One is on my lip and an itchy mole on my back. Should i insist the others are biopsied as well? I feel a little wigged out today, i didnt even go in for the initial check up because of my ear but because of a mark on my lip! I dont want the doctor to think i’m nuts but i really want anything even remotely suspicious gone- cost and scarring are not an issue, is this a fair request my doctor is likely to go through with or am i just responding from fear and shock at having found a melanoma insitu unexpectedly on my ear??
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        kathycmc
        Participant

Yes.  If you are concerned about them have the 2nd Dr. look at them.  I would probably push to get the itchy one biopsied.  You are the best advocate for your health and most melanoma's, especially ones that are found early, are found by the patient.

kathycmc
          Participant

Yes.  If you are concerned about them have the 2nd Dr. look at them.  I would probably push to get the itchy one biopsied.  You are the best advocate for your health and most melanoma's, especially ones that are found early, are found by the patient.

kathycmc
            Participant

Michelle820
              Participant

Hi, I can can completely understand your concerns. I also agree with have the them both looked at by the 2nd doctor. Request them to be biopsied. It's horrible to worry and wonder-it will give you peace of mind and of course remove anything troublesome. Wish you well and let us know how you are doing:)

Michelle820
                Participant

Hi, I can can completely understand your concerns. I also agree with have the them both looked at by the 2nd doctor. Request them to be biopsied. It's horrible to worry and wonder-it will give you peace of mind and of course remove anything troublesome. Wish you well and let us know how you are doing:)

Michelle820
                  Participant

lou2
                    Participant

You should do what makes you feel safer.  However, having said that, I did that and was sorry afterwards.  I was more or less rushed into it and it was the first opinion.  I should have gone for a second opinion.  It was a kind that grows very slowly, and the PA did not even think it was a problem on first glance.  Just biopsied to make me feel like he was doing something, probably.  At my age and with other health problems, it was unlikely to kill me or lead to more problems in the time I have left.  I was left with a big ditch on my back, which was not explained to me that it would be like this.  This was definitely overdone.  I think it is hard to find someone who will be disinterested if they will also do the surgery.  Maybe this is more true in an independent office than in a big medical institution.

On this board, my remarks will probably not be in the majority because most are dealing with a more serious situation.  I just didn't know and wasn't given enough information to make an informed decision.

lou2
                        Participant

I should make it clear that the surgery was preceded by a biopsy.  The problem came with their opinion that surgery was indicated when the biopsy results should have meant a less drastic response.  So maybe the answer for you is to biopsy if you are worried, but research the results so you don't do surgery that is not necessary.

lou2
                          Participant

I should make it clear that the surgery was preceded by a biopsy.  The problem came with their opinion that surgery was indicated when the biopsy results should have meant a less drastic response.  So maybe the answer for you is to biopsy if you are worried, but research the results so you don't do surgery that is not necessary.

lou2
                            Participant

lou2
                            Participant

You should do what makes you feel safer.  However, having said that, I did that and was sorry afterwards.  I was more or less rushed into it and it was the first opinion.  I should have gone for a second opinion.  It was a kind that grows very slowly, and the PA did not even think it was a problem on first glance.  Just biopsied to make me feel like he was doing something, probably.  At my age and with other health problems, it was unlikely to kill me or lead to more problems in the time I have left.  I was left with a big ditch on my back, which was not explained to me that it would be like this.  This was definitely overdone.  I think it is hard to find someone who will be disinterested if they will also do the surgery.  Maybe this is more true in an independent office than in a big medical institution.

On this board, my remarks will probably not be in the majority because most are dealing with a more serious situation.  I just didn't know and wasn't given enough information to make an informed decision.

lou2
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics