The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried about a liver spot seen on CT scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Worried about a liver spot seen on CT scan

Participant

I had a CT scan after almost 3 years of clean scans and there is a spot on my liver.  I had a PET scan done last week  and waiting for the results…and very worried.  Any one had liver surgery?

I had a CT scan after almost 3 years of clean scans and there is a spot on my liver.  I had a PET scan done last week  and waiting for the results…and very worried.  Any one had liver surgery?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Hi –  can you give us more information about your primary, stage,  and treatment?  That might help assess the probability of a liver met.   I have a hemangioma (bruise?) on my liver that didn't show up in initial scans.  I was told this is pretty common.

Fen

tri_girl
            Participant

I am stage IIIB, primary on the back of left calf in 11/07.  I have done 8 months of Interferon ending in 12/08.  The current "spot" is only 1.3 cm.  PET results will be back this week.

tri_girl
              Participant

I am stage IIIB, primary on the back of left calf in 11/07.  I have done 8 months of Interferon ending in 12/08.  The current "spot" is only 1.3 cm.  PET results will be back this week.

Fen
              Participant

Hi –  can you give us more information about your primary, stage,  and treatment?  That might help assess the probability of a liver met.   I have a hemangioma (bruise?) on my liver that didn't show up in initial scans.  I was told this is pretty common.

Fen

King
                Participant

Yes, I had a liver resection in 2005.  On a routine PET/CT, a 3.3 cm liver lesion was detected in the right lobe of my liver.  I had a CT guided liver biopsy that confirmed melanoma.

Almost 2 months later, I had a liver resection.  The liver surgeon wanted to allow time for other liver mets to show up.  If that had happened, then surgery would not have been an option.  By the time of surgery, the liver met had grown to 4.5 cm.  The surgeon removed 70% of my  liver…the maximum amount of liver tissue and my gallbladder (to give the melanoma one less place to go).  During surgery, he did discover one small tumor (positive for melanoma) nearby that was not seen on scans.

Surgery was an option since this was my only area of metastasis and since this was thought to be a single tumor.  My surgeon was very aggressive which I think is a big reason as to why I am still here today.

If in fact this is a spread of melanoma to your liver, I would be very happy to share more information with you.  Feel free to email me or post.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

tri_girl
                    Participant

How long was your recovery for the surgery?

King
                      Participant

I would say my recovery was 6-8 weeks.  I was in the hospital for 7 days…the intensive care unit for the first couple.  I then entered a Phase II clinical trial of GM-CSF for 12 months.  

Stay Strong
                        King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                        Participant

I would say my recovery was 6-8 weeks.  I was in the hospital for 7 days…the intensive care unit for the first couple.  I then entered a Phase II clinical trial of GM-CSF for 12 months.  

Stay Strong
                          King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

tri_girl
                          Participant

How long was your recovery for the surgery?

King
                          Participant

Yes, I had a liver resection in 2005.  On a routine PET/CT, a 3.3 cm liver lesion was detected in the right lobe of my liver.  I had a CT guided liver biopsy that confirmed melanoma.

Almost 2 months later, I had a liver resection.  The liver surgeon wanted to allow time for other liver mets to show up.  If that had happened, then surgery would not have been an option.  By the time of surgery, the liver met had grown to 4.5 cm.  The surgeon removed 70% of my  liver…the maximum amount of liver tissue and my gallbladder (to give the melanoma one less place to go).  During surgery, he did discover one small tumor (positive for melanoma) nearby that was not seen on scans.

Surgery was an option since this was my only area of metastasis and since this was thought to be a single tumor.  My surgeon was very aggressive which I think is a big reason as to why I am still here today.

If in fact this is a spread of melanoma to your liver, I would be very happy to share more information with you.  Feel free to email me or post.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Jydnew
                            Participant

Hi,

My husband had a spot found on a CT scan after 7 years NED from stage iiia – it was indeterminable (about 1 cm in size, but couldn't say for sure whether it was benign or malignent).  They did an MRI 3 months later and ruled it benign.  They saw it again this year, and it's the same.

Again, this was found after 7 years of completely clean PET/CT scans.

Of course, it is impossible to say that this is what you're going through, but I just wanted to put a positive story out there.

Take care, and I hope it's nothing but a hemangioma or some other benign pesky spot.

gaby
                                Participant
                                  Hello, I am very worried, my husband (38 years old) was diagnosed with melanoma estdio 3A in June 2012, the pegylated interferon began 14 months ago, and scan (CT) every 6 months. So far the scan was clear but this last scan showed subcapsular liver spot of 11 mm. I am desperately seeking information on the internet to see if it may be melanoma. These lesions had not been in the previous scan. My husband had a hemagioma (benign) in liver from the first scan, but nothing more.

appreciate the info you can give me.

gaby from Argentina

gaby
                                  Participant
                                    Hello, I am very worried, my husband (38 years old) was diagnosed with melanoma estdio 3A in June 2012, the pegylated interferon began 14 months ago, and scan (CT) every 6 months. So far the scan was clear but this last scan showed subcapsular liver spot of 11 mm. I am desperately seeking information on the internet to see if it may be melanoma. These lesions had not been in the previous scan. My husband had a hemagioma (benign) in liver from the first scan, but nothing more.

gaby from Argentina

gaby
                                    Participant

gaby from Argentina

Jydnew
                                    Participant

Hi,

My husband had a spot found on a CT scan after 7 years NED from stage iiia – it was indeterminable (about 1 cm in size, but couldn't say for sure whether it was benign or malignent).  They did an MRI 3 months later and ruled it benign.  They saw it again this year, and it's the same.

Again, this was found after 7 years of completely clean PET/CT scans.

Of course, it is impossible to say that this is what you're going through, but I just wanted to put a positive story out there.

Take care, and I hope it's nothing but a hemangioma or some other benign pesky spot.

debbieVA
                                      Participant

Hey Trinity….

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving….because…even with all the craziness….we do have much to be thankful for!

Praying for good results on your scans!

Debbie Stage 4 NED

debbieVA
                                        Participant

Hey Trinity….

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving….because…even with all the craziness….we do have much to be thankful for!

Praying for good results on your scans!

Debbie Stage 4 NED

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics