The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

worried..

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community worried..

Participant

So the story is im not exactly sure if i do or do not have subungual melanoma…. but im not going to rule it out that it isn't. i have not been diagnosed but iwas wondering if ya'll could help a fella out…. last week i noticed a small black line had appeared underneath my left hand thumbnail. I did some research on it and read about melanoma. When any of you found your melanoma when it started out was it a thin line just 2mm away from your fingernail? or was it a semi-thick line going all the way down the fingernail from top to bottom. Please someone give me some incite….. im really hoping its not subungual melanoma im only 22 years old…..

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        doragsda
        Participant

Odds are definitely in your favor that it is NOT melanoma, but the only way to be sure is to see a doctor and have it biopsied if he thinks it should be.   Don't ignore it, just go to a dermatologist and have it evaluated by a professional.

casagrayson
          Participant

More than likely it is an injury.  Take a picture of it today, and then in a few weeks.  If it grows out with your nail, it is almost certainly an injury.  Also, I think most melanomas start at the cuticle, and it sounds like you are saying the line starts in the middle of the fingernail…

Lucygoose
            Participant

Go to a dermatologist.  They can do a biopsy of it looks suspicious. 

Summer S.
              Participant

Do not worry my dear, 

just go get it checked, 

if it is not melanoma you are fine,

if it is melanoma, you catch it early and still be fine. 

Good Luck 

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics