The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wondering if I am getting a response from ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community Wondering if I am getting a response from ipi

Participant

I am due to see my oncoligist on June 4th after my cat scan to see if I am having a response to the Yervoy or not, then will discuss treatment. I went the other day to have my hair done and eye brows and my beautician said some of the hair on my brows are white, I said are you sure they are not grey and she said they are white!! I can't see that since I wear glasses and the brows are kinda hidden, I thought I saw on this board that it would be a good sign  that  the ipi was working although my tumors are still big so I guess I won't really know until we discuss my scan.

I am due to see my oncoligist on June 4th after my cat scan to see if I am having a response to the Yervoy or not, then will discuss treatment. I went the other day to have my hair done and eye brows and my beautician said some of the hair on my brows are white, I said are you sure they are not grey and she said they are white!! I can't see that since I wear glasses and the brows are kinda hidden, I thought I saw on this board that it would be a good sign  that  the ipi was working although my tumors are still big so I guess I won't really know until we discuss my scan. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyR3
        Participant

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that's a good sign.  Good luck!

WendyR3
          Participant

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that's a good sign.  Good luck!

WendyR3
            Participant

Angela C
              Participant

Hi there. I also have heard that this can be a good sign. I experienced the same thing while on Yervoy. I had my last dose in November of last year and I still have a few white eyebrow hairs. Once they went white, they stayed that way. I moved on from Yervoy to TIL because my tumors were still growing. However, while on Yervoy, I did have a few spots in my lungs shrink slightly after about a year of being stable. So, maybe I was a partial responder to Yervoy?

I hope that your white hairs mean you are at least going to have a partial response! Some people, who often times are complete responders, will have their eyebrows turn white and then it moves on to the crown of their head and eventually it all turns white. So, here's hoping that you are at the beginning stages of going all white! It would be a small price to pay for NED!!

Angela C
                Participant

Hi there. I also have heard that this can be a good sign. I experienced the same thing while on Yervoy. I had my last dose in November of last year and I still have a few white eyebrow hairs. Once they went white, they stayed that way. I moved on from Yervoy to TIL because my tumors were still growing. However, while on Yervoy, I did have a few spots in my lungs shrink slightly after about a year of being stable. So, maybe I was a partial responder to Yervoy?

I hope that your white hairs mean you are at least going to have a partial response! Some people, who often times are complete responders, will have their eyebrows turn white and then it moves on to the crown of their head and eventually it all turns white. So, here's hoping that you are at the beginning stages of going all white! It would be a small price to pay for NED!!

Angela C
                  Participant

Linny
                    Participant

Looks like a good sign, Yoopergirl: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/06/us-cancer-melanoma-hair-idUSTRE6542SF20100606

…"I'm pretty confident to say if patients start to develop depigmentation after six to 12 months, they are going to have a durable response."

Pavlick said that when patients were asked about their hair turning white, their stories were all the same.

"It always starts in the eyebrows. It goes from the eyebrows to the crown of the hair, assuming they have hair there. If they don't, it usually starts with their sideburns," she said. "To me it's a healing sign."…

Only your doctor will be able to determine if it's a complete or partial response. But you're definitely moving in the right direction with getting the white eyebrows.

yoopergirl
                        Participant

Thanks for the link, it was interesting and am hoping that it is a good sign for me but like I said I still have some large tumors on my arm and my last infusion was feb 20th so praying the ipi is doing its stuff.

yoopergirl
                          Participant

Thanks for the link, it was interesting and am hoping that it is a good sign for me but like I said I still have some large tumors on my arm and my last infusion was feb 20th so praying the ipi is doing its stuff.

yoopergirl
                            Participant

Linny
                            Participant

Looks like a good sign, Yoopergirl: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/06/us-cancer-melanoma-hair-idUSTRE6542SF20100606

…"I'm pretty confident to say if patients start to develop depigmentation after six to 12 months, they are going to have a durable response."

Pavlick said that when patients were asked about their hair turning white, their stories were all the same.

"It always starts in the eyebrows. It goes from the eyebrows to the crown of the hair, assuming they have hair there. If they don't, it usually starts with their sideburns," she said. "To me it's a healing sign."…

Only your doctor will be able to determine if it's a complete or partial response. But you're definitely moving in the right direction with getting the white eyebrows.

Linny
                              Participant

Gene_S
                                Participant

My husband got the white eyebrows, lost pigmentation in the skin in most spots down to the chest, and his mustache area except for in the center under the nose are white.  He has been on Ipi (Yervoy since March 2011) and his Dr. said this is a good sign since most of his lesions are gone and just waiting for the last one to go.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene)

Gene_S
                                  Participant

My husband got the white eyebrows, lost pigmentation in the skin in most spots down to the chest, and his mustache area except for in the center under the nose are white.  He has been on Ipi (Yervoy since March 2011) and his Dr. said this is a good sign since most of his lesions are gone and just waiting for the last one to go.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

yoopergirl
                                        Participant

That sounds like good news to me, does he continue to take the Yervoy? I can't have  my 4th one since I had bad side effects.

yoopergirl
                                          Participant

That sounds like good news to me, does he continue to take the Yervoy? I can't have  my 4th one since I had bad side effects.

Gene_S
                                            Participant

Yes after the initial 4 doses in 12 weeks he gets another every 12 weeks.  He originally started Mar 3, 2011.

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Yes after the initial 4 doses in 12 weeks he gets another every 12 weeks.  He originally started Mar 3, 2011.

Gene_S
                                                Participant

yoopergirl
                                                  Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics