The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WLE tomorrow, wish me luck

Forums General Melanoma Community WLE tomorrow, wish me luck

Participant

Hi

Having my third WLE tomorrow, 1cm margins for stage 1 melanoma on my chest, about 5cm below my collarbone. Am bummed to have a mel on my trunk, I prefer them as far from my head/neck as possible. Am worried this one is going to make it tricky to wear e.g. v-neck tops. The 2mm excision got the whole mel, so hopefully the WLE pathology result will have no surprises. I  need to pin my doc down on what other moles she wants to biopsy – she mentioned 'a few' but I have no idea which ones she means as last time I queried this she only mentioned one, on my back. I really need to get all necessary cutting and path done so I can get on with life, it's just been weeks now of biopsy, excision, re-excision and now mention of 'a few' more. I'm changing up to a derm mid- August so hopefully I'll get more definitive (as in, not having to always go back for one more biopsy) care there. I've been working fulltime the whole time and I really, really, really want to get back to a somewhat normal life without spectre of biopsy/pathology hanging over me. I know WLEs are no big deal but I don't enjoy them one bit and feel a bit panicky before and during. Wish me luck,

Stars

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        DianaD
        Participant

Best of luck, Stars.  You mention moving to a derm in mid-August–so your general doctor performs the excisions?  And it seems that you are not receiving or planning to receive at this time a systemic treatment? I'm new on this board, so I'm not familiar with your history  Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.  

DianaD
          Participant

Best of luck, Stars.  You mention moving to a derm in mid-August–so your general doctor performs the excisions?  And it seems that you are not receiving or planning to receive at this time a systemic treatment? I'm new on this board, so I'm not familiar with your history  Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.  

stars
              Participant

Thanks Diana. Yes, in Australia a GP can do both biopsies and then wide excisions. I have had three very thin melanomas – one in situ, and two stage one – so there is no need for systemic treatment. Systemic treatment is indicated for metastatic disease, not local disease. I'm like Janner – more than one melanoma but thankfully all so far very thin and localised.

DianaD
                Participant

Thank you for the information, and I wish the best for you. 

DianaD
                  Participant

DianaD
                    Participant

stars
                      Participant

Thanks Diana. Yes, in Australia a GP can do both biopsies and then wide excisions. I have had three very thin melanomas – one in situ, and two stage one – so there is no need for systemic treatment. Systemic treatment is indicated for metastatic disease, not local disease. I'm like Janner – more than one melanoma but thankfully all so far very thin and localised.

stars
                        Participant

Millykamp
                          Participant

Prayers!!!!!

Millykamp
                            Participant

Prayers!!!!!

Millykamp
                              Participant

Prayers!!!!!

DianaD
                              Participant

JoshF
                                Participant

Wishing you all the best Stars! 

JoshF
                                  Participant

JoshF
                                    Participant

dfeng
                                      Participant

best wishes and good luck.

stars
                                          Participant

Thanks guys. I know a WLE is no big deal but three in three months is kind of my limit. I feel like I haven't been without stitches of one kind or another for ages. All the best,

Stars

stars
                                            Participant

Thanks guys. I know a WLE is no big deal but three in three months is kind of my limit. I feel like I haven't been without stitches of one kind or another for ages. All the best,

Stars

stars
                                              Participant

Stars

dfeng
                                              Participant

dfeng
                                                Participant

DZnDef
                                                  Participant

Best of luck to you, Stars!  It'll be over before you know it.  I hear you on the never-ending-stitches.   This whole melanoma ride does get tiresome.  Make sure you plan a nice treat for yourself once its over.  It's always nice to have something to look forward to.

Maggie

stars
                                                      Participant

Thanks guys. It's all done, much better than last time. The biopsy already had clear margins so the doctor didn't have to go out a full cm in each direction, more like .5-.8cm as there was already roughly .5mm clear margins all around. Stitching was no worries either, I was a bit worried if there would be enough skin to stitch (on my chest/sternum). Best of all, I finally got a look at the path – 0.15mm Breslow, clark II but mainly in situ, no mitosis, no ulceration. As good as it gets for an invasive mel. I've got three moles imaged but they are not changing so no immediate need to excise (though part of me wants them gone, even if there's a shadow of suspicion). Thanks for your well wishes.

PS a ray of hope for those worried about moles not yet biopsied – I looked at my wedding photo 8 years ago, I think this lesion has changed ever so slowly since then and fortunately still stayed very shallow. So some mels can be slow and somewhat lazy, thank goodness.

stars
                                                        Participant

Thanks guys. It's all done, much better than last time. The biopsy already had clear margins so the doctor didn't have to go out a full cm in each direction, more like .5-.8cm as there was already roughly .5mm clear margins all around. Stitching was no worries either, I was a bit worried if there would be enough skin to stitch (on my chest/sternum). Best of all, I finally got a look at the path – 0.15mm Breslow, clark II but mainly in situ, no mitosis, no ulceration. As good as it gets for an invasive mel. I've got three moles imaged but they are not changing so no immediate need to excise (though part of me wants them gone, even if there's a shadow of suspicion). Thanks for your well wishes.

PS a ray of hope for those worried about moles not yet biopsied – I looked at my wedding photo 8 years ago, I think this lesion has changed ever so slowly since then and fortunately still stayed very shallow. So some mels can be slow and somewhat lazy, thank goodness.

stars
                                                          Participant

DianaD
                                                            Participant

Glad to hear that all went well, Stars.  

I'm waiting to be scheduled for a biopsy.  I noticed the two moles (almost grown together) on my back on Friday, July 24th (I felt an irritation and looked in the mirror).  Because I had dysplastic moles removed ten years' ago, and becuase I had two skin tags removed at the same time, in the exact location where the two moles are now, I asked my son to come over and photograph the moles on Friday, 7/20.  The moles are very difficult for me to see in the mirror, but when I looked at them again yesterday, Friday, 7/31, they seemed to have changed, within one week.  My son came over, and I asked him to photograph the moles again, without telling him why.  As soon as he saw the moles, he said, "they've changed already."  So I seem to have very rapidly evolving moles.  

DianaD
                                                              Participant

I'm waiting to be scheduled for a biopsy.  I noticed the two moles (almost grown together) on my back on Friday, July 24th (I felt an irritation and looked in the mirror).  Because I had dysplastic moles removed ten years' ago, and becuase I had two skin tags removed at the same time, in the exact location where the two moles are now, I asked my son to come over and photograph the moles on Friday, 7/20.  The moles are very difficult for me to see in the mirror, but when I looked at them again yesterday, Friday, 7/31, they seemed to have changed, within one week.  My son came over, and I asked him to photograph the moles again, without telling him why.  As soon as he saw the moles, he said, "they've changed already."  So I seem to have very rapidly evolving moles.  

ldub
                                                                Participant

Diana – I had the same thing on the front of my shoulder – a mole that looked like two moles coming together – one black, one brown and growing.  I was terrified, of course.  It turned out to be moderately dysplastic and just needed a deeper excision just in case.  The other mole that I was not concerned about – smaller, not raised and seemingly not changing turned out to be my melanoma in situ.  I guess you never know until path is back, so keep the faith!

ldub
                                                                  Participant

Diana – I had the same thing on the front of my shoulder – a mole that looked like two moles coming together – one black, one brown and growing.  I was terrified, of course.  It turned out to be moderately dysplastic and just needed a deeper excision just in case.  The other mole that I was not concerned about – smaller, not raised and seemingly not changing turned out to be my melanoma in situ.  I guess you never know until path is back, so keep the faith!

ldub
                                                                    Participant

DianaD
                                                                      Participant

DZnDef
                                                                      Participant

Best of luck to you, Stars!  It'll be over before you know it.  I hear you on the never-ending-stitches.   This whole melanoma ride does get tiresome.  Make sure you plan a nice treat for yourself once its over.  It's always nice to have something to look forward to.

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

Maggie

stars
                                                                          Participant

Hi all

Quick update – rang doc today as had not heard about results of WLE – all clear, thank goodness. Next step for me is a 2nd opinion – appt with derm on Wed (first visit). Part of me just wants to leave things be and not have to think about mel til my next dr appt in three months. However, I want that 2nd opinion and now is as good a time as any to have another set of eyes checking my skin. What I dread is yet more excisions and waiting, waiting, waiting. But better that than find anything too far down the track. All the best,

Stars

stars
                                                                            Participant

Hi all

Quick update – rang doc today as had not heard about results of WLE – all clear, thank goodness. Next step for me is a 2nd opinion – appt with derm on Wed (first visit). Part of me just wants to leave things be and not have to think about mel til my next dr appt in three months. However, I want that 2nd opinion and now is as good a time as any to have another set of eyes checking my skin. What I dread is yet more excisions and waiting, waiting, waiting. But better that than find anything too far down the track. All the best,

Stars

DZnDef
                                                                                Participant

Great news, Stars!  Congratulations!  I hope your second opinion doc gives you peace of mind without needing any more excisions.

DZnDef
                                                                                  Participant

Great news, Stars!  Congratulations!  I hope your second opinion doc gives you peace of mind without needing any more excisions.

DZnDef
                                                                                    Participant

stars
                                                                                    Participant

Hi all

Stars

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics