The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Will in hospital

Forums General Melanoma Community Will in hospital

Participant

On Wednesday night, Will stopped vomiting from the chemo and by Thursday morning felt better, except his voice was a little raspy.  By Thursday  night he was coughing and wheezing and I called an ambulance because he seemed short of breath.  They took him to a local community hospital.  He has pneumonia.  It's being treated and he is stable and improving, however, the experience was really awful.  The doctors at the community hospital were absolutely clueless about stage IV melanoma treatments and their side effects.  They told me he would die Friday n

On Wednesday night, Will stopped vomiting from the chemo and by Thursday morning felt better, except his voice was a little raspy.  By Thursday  night he was coughing and wheezing and I called an ambulance because he seemed short of breath.  They took him to a local community hospital.  He has pneumonia.  It's being treated and he is stable and improving, however, the experience was really awful.  The doctors at the community hospital were absolutely clueless about stage IV melanoma treatments and their side effects.  They told me he would die Friday night, they told me there was probably no point in treating this, melanoma was untreatable anyway, etc.  When I said "He's been responding well to the chemo", the doctor snapped, "What does THAT mean?"  I hauled out his latest CT scan ("reduction in tumors" , etc.) and the guy ignored it and sent hospice people in to me who told me, "Melanoma is a horrible cancer and there is no treatment that works."    I kept explaining that as long as he was responding to the treatment he had a chance at prolonging survival and opportunity for more targeted treatments, but was treated as though I was waving entrails and bones and claiming the fairies would heal him. 

I had his oncologist staff from Rush call the hospital and talk to them and things have improved since then.  He was moved out of ICU within 48 hours, he's getting breathing treatments and his appetite has improved.  His oncological nurse said that while his next chemo dose may be altered by this, this was NOT unexpected at 8-10 days post chemo when his immune system is so low..  What an experience, though.   I am anxious to get him back home and to his proper doctors. 

If I'd had any warning, I would have definitely just gotten him to Rush asap.  But this came on so fast that I didn't – and with breathing trouble, I was too fearful to drive him myself.   With his oncology staff insisting to the community hospital staff that this is "an acute crisis that is treatable", things have turned around but this was a big eye opener.  Stay away from medical staff who don't understand melanoma!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        molly
        Participant

What a nightmare……and what a blessing Will had you there fighting for him! Hope he will continue to improve and get out of the hospital soon. Take care of yourself too.

molly
          Participant

What a nightmare……and what a blessing Will had you there fighting for him! Hope he will continue to improve and get out of the hospital soon. Take care of yourself too.

washoegal
            Participant

So terribly sorry you and Will went through this.  I have never in my life heard of such treatment.  Thank goodness Will's doctors at Rush were so accessible.  Thanks for sharing this story, we all learn from each other.

washoegal
              Participant

So terribly sorry you and Will went through this.  I have never in my life heard of such treatment.  Thank goodness Will's doctors at Rush were so accessible.  Thanks for sharing this story, we all learn from each other.

Fen
                Participant

How awful, Lori!  You probably would have gotten better treatment if you had done the entrails and bone thing – psychiatric nurses might be better.  Keeping you both in my prayers.

Fen
                  Participant

How awful, Lori!  You probably would have gotten better treatment if you had done the entrails and bone thing – psychiatric nurses might be better.  Keeping you both in my prayers.

makedoandmend
                    Participant

wow I can't believe they treated you like that. Your husband is lucky to be armed with you in this battle.  Sounds like this is just a bump in the road on the way to better times!

pat on li

makedoandmend
                      Participant

wow I can't believe they treated you like that. Your husband is lucky to be armed with you in this battle.  Sounds like this is just a bump in the road on the way to better times!

pat on li

Cate
                        Participant

Hi Lori,

So sorry you had to go thru this.  Will is lucky to have you  It always surprises me how little the medical profession really knows about Melanoma if it is not their specialty.

Cate
                          Participant

Hi Lori,

So sorry you had to go thru this.  Will is lucky to have you  It always surprises me how little the medical profession really knows about Melanoma if it is not their specialty.

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Lori,

I am astounded as to the treatment of Will at that hospital! How dare they just cast him aside like that and not treat him well until you adovcated and insisted on his getting treatment. Good for you for calling his oncologists to also assist. I am so frightened that this could happen to any of us anywhere!!!! Can you clone yourself and spread your sweet dedicated self around to advocate for us too!!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Lori,

I am astounded as to the treatment of Will at that hospital! How dare they just cast him aside like that and not treat him well until you adovcated and insisted on his getting treatment. Good for you for calling his oncologists to also assist. I am so frightened that this could happen to any of us anywhere!!!! Can you clone yourself and spread your sweet dedicated self around to advocate for us too!!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

JuleFL
                                Participant

Oh Lori, I so understand what you went thru.  Unfortunately, I had to go to the emergency room with my husband a few times and the doctors were generally clueless.  One time I tried to explain that he was on an experimental drug and offered the doctor the protocol to review – his response was "I don't have time for that".  He was admitted for pneumonia – which he did not have.  He saw a pulmonologist the next day who said that here was no reason for him to be in the hospital.  The cancer world is so different than the rest of the medical world.  I am so sorry that you were treated this way.  The nerve of them to tell you he was going to die. Thank God Will has an advocate like you.

Jule (wife of Cal)

Jocelyn
                                    Participant

While all these comments and criticisms are true, it should be remembered that this is why it's called "emergency room." Their job is to get the patient stabilized from what the problem is, as soon as possible, and get on to the next patient waiting in line. We are not going to get the tender loving care from them that we might want. And no, they are not going to understand the intricacies of our disease and treatment plans.

Linda/Kentucky
                                      Participant

They may not understand cancer and the tx associated with it but they did take an oath when they decided to become Dr's that EVERY patient matters it does not matter if they are taking their first or last breath of life!!!  Yes this is an emergency room where one comes for emergencies not a runny nose or because they are a druggie and need more pain meds.  How dare them talk to to her this way…… and another thing if they don't understand maybe….just maybe they could take time to listen to the patient or family member or even make a phone call to find out….just saying~~~

Linda/Kentucky
                                        Participant

They may not understand cancer and the tx associated with it but they did take an oath when they decided to become Dr's that EVERY patient matters it does not matter if they are taking their first or last breath of life!!!  Yes this is an emergency room where one comes for emergencies not a runny nose or because they are a druggie and need more pain meds.  How dare them talk to to her this way…… and another thing if they don't understand maybe….just maybe they could take time to listen to the patient or family member or even make a phone call to find out….just saying~~~

Jocelyn
                                          Participant

While all these comments and criticisms are true, it should be remembered that this is why it's called "emergency room." Their job is to get the patient stabilized from what the problem is, as soon as possible, and get on to the next patient waiting in line. We are not going to get the tender loving care from them that we might want. And no, they are not going to understand the intricacies of our disease and treatment plans.

JuleFL
                                          Participant

Oh Lori, I so understand what you went thru.  Unfortunately, I had to go to the emergency room with my husband a few times and the doctors were generally clueless.  One time I tried to explain that he was on an experimental drug and offered the doctor the protocol to review – his response was "I don't have time for that".  He was admitted for pneumonia – which he did not have.  He saw a pulmonologist the next day who said that here was no reason for him to be in the hospital.  The cancer world is so different than the rest of the medical world.  I am so sorry that you were treated this way.  The nerve of them to tell you he was going to die. Thank God Will has an advocate like you.

Jule (wife of Cal)

BethA in VA
                                            Participant

Sorry to hear of his problems, and sending good thoughts and prayers for his improvement.  He sure is lucky to have you watching out for him.  I hope he keeps improving.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                              Participant

Sorry to hear of his problems, and sending good thoughts and prayers for his improvement.  He sure is lucky to have you watching out for him.  I hope he keeps improving.  Beth 3/B

Janis B.
                                                Participant

Horrible, horrible, horrible!  You have a wonderful sense of humor, though, which I'm sure is helping to get you through this.  I commend you and your husband for the good fight!!

Janis B.
                                                  Participant

Horrible, horrible, horrible!  You have a wonderful sense of humor, though, which I'm sure is helping to get you through this.  I commend you and your husband for the good fight!!

lhaley
                                                    Participant

Lori,

You haven't posted lately.  How is Will doing?

Linda

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Lori,

You haven't posted lately.  How is Will doing?

Linda

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics