The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

wide local excision and SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community wide local excision and SLNB

Participant

Hello,

I'm scheduled to get an WLE and SLNB on Wed October 25th and I am a little nervous (my first surgery using general anesthesia). Any questions I should ask the Doctor and/or anesthesiologist prior to surgery?  Also how long does this type of surgery take?

Thanks for any comments.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

It would help to know the location on the body for the WLE and SNB and the size of the melanoma according to the pathology report.

jennunicorn
          Participant

Agree with above poster, it will vary depending on the parts of the body. My WLE was on the side of my calf and my SLNB was in my groin. Surgery took 4 hours. They had to go kind of deep in my pelvic area for one of the lymph nodes, not always the case. Anesthesia makes me very very sick afterward, so be aware that it may make you nauseous and you may vomit after. Not everyone does, but since you've never had GA it's good to know. 

jetdoctor67
            Participant

Sorry I guess that would help.  According to my pathology report:

Maximun tumor thickness: Greater than 0.6 mm

Size of tumor:  .04 cm

Deep margin: Brodly 

jetdoctor67
                Participant

Hit wrong button and no editing.

Deep margin:  Broadly involved

The spot is located on my left ear (top of ear).

GrossieGal313
                  Participant

Hello – I'm new to all of this as well.  I just had both procedures done 2 weeks ago.  WLE from thigh 2.3 mm and 3 nodes from groin.

Mine was less than an hour and recovery was excellent.  I didn't experience nausea after – all went well and crossing my fingers you'll experience the same.

I was amazed with my care team.  Best of luck to you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics