The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Why try: Temozolomide/Cisplatin as Adjuvant Therapy-Resected Mucosal Melanoma

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Why try: Temozolomide/Cisplatin as Adjuvant Therapy-Resected Mucosal Melanoma

Participant

Temozolomide Plus Cisplatin as Systemic Adjuvant Therapy for Resected Mucosal Melanoma https://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/19/16/4488.full

I know several people that have recently been started on the above treatmetn.  They have been being asked why they are being given these OLD drugs.  This article is the study that is the basis for this treatment for mucosal melanoma patients.  I have not seen it tied to specific Mutations, but learning what mutations have been involved in these trials will be very interesting.  (Suspect C-kit, NRAS and BRAF to be the 3 main over-expresions/mutations involve)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The endpoints were relapse-free survival (RFS), overall survival (OS), and toxicities.

Results: One hundred and eighty-nine patients were enrolled and finally analyzed. With a median follow-up of 26.8 months, the median RFS was 5.4, 9.4, and 20.8 months for group A, B, and C, respectively. Estimated median OS for group A, B, and C was 21.2, 40.4, and 48.7 months, respectively. Patients treated with temozolomide plus cisplatin showed significant improvements in RFS (P < 0.001) and OS (P < 0.01) than those treated with either HDI or surgery alone. Toxicities were generally mild to moderate.

Conclusion: Both temozolomide-based chemotherapy and HDI are effective and safe as adjuvant therapies for resected mucosal melanoma as compared with observation alone. However, HDI tends to be less effective than temozolomide-based chemotherapy for patients with resected mucosal melanoma in respect to RFS. The temozolomide plus cisplatin regimen might be a better choice for patients with resected mucosal melanoma. Clin Cancer Res; 19(16); 4488–98. ©2013 AACR.

Translational Relevance

Mucosal melanoma is rare and of extremely poor prognosis. However, standard adjuvant therapy for mucosal melanoma has not been established. The importance of our study is that we provide clinical data showing that high-dose IFN-α2b (HDI) and temozolomide plus cisplatin may be advised to patients with mucosal melanoma in stages II/III and after surgical removal of primary mucosal melanoma. The significance of the study is that temozolomide plus cisplatin regimen, likely better than HDI, may be a choice of adjuvant therapy for patients with mucosal melanoma in respect to relapse-free survival (RFS) and possibly overall survival (OS). Our study shows that both adjuvant regimens are safe and well tolerated for patients with resected mucosal melanoma. Even for patients harboring c-kit or BRAF mutations that are potential targets for targeted therapies, the temozolomide plus cisplatin regimen may be a better choice than HDI. Our trial is unique in that it addresses adjuvant therapy for a specific, uncommon subtype of melanoma.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        mary1233
        Participant

I had this therapy for my mucosal melanoma. I am 25 months post surgery with no recurrence. According to the abstract written, I think they quit following people after 26 months.

My treatment was pre anti pd-1 and I was told that had I presented six months earlier, there would have been nothing to offer me but the surgery. Since then I have been told that if it recurrs, immunotherapy will be the route. Yervoy is not known to be particularily effective on mucosal melanomas (at least as a monotherapy) so I am happy to have tried something that they actually had data indicating success. I view it as a step I had to take to wait until the science caught up to us in the mucosal category.

Temozolomide is one of the few chemo drugs known to cross over into the brain, where melanoma is known to spread. That was comforting for me to know.

My best wishes to all.

Mary

mary1233
          Participant

I had this therapy for my mucosal melanoma. I am 25 months post surgery with no recurrence. According to the abstract written, I think they quit following people after 26 months.

My treatment was pre anti pd-1 and I was told that had I presented six months earlier, there would have been nothing to offer me but the surgery. Since then I have been told that if it recurrs, immunotherapy will be the route. Yervoy is not known to be particularily effective on mucosal melanomas (at least as a monotherapy) so I am happy to have tried something that they actually had data indicating success. I view it as a step I had to take to wait until the science caught up to us in the mucosal category.

Temozolomide is one of the few chemo drugs known to cross over into the brain, where melanoma is known to spread. That was comforting for me to know.

My best wishes to all.

Mary

mary1233
            Participant

My best wishes to all.

Mary

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics