The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Why don’t they do MOHS surgery initially??

Forums General Melanoma Community Why don’t they do MOHS surgery initially??

Participant
      Hi!
      My 11 year old daughter had a very strange irregular bordered lesion removed on her left lower eyelid yesterday. Bonnie posted a picture for me on the Facebook site affiliated with MRF. They feel it is “highly suspicious” for melanoma. I have family backeast who insist that she should have had a frozen specimen done yesterday to assess if it WAS melanoma, and then removal until clear margins right then?? From all I have read, if one presents with a specific lesion, they initially excise and send off to path??? What are your opinions on this?? Also, we are in Arizona–does anyone have any suggestions for drs who ate good with melanoma here. She is seeing Phoenix children’s hospital physicians presently. Thank you in advance.
      Susan
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Frozen section technique is not the best technique for determining melanoma.  Melanocytes don't show up well under frozen sections.  Slides done in paraffin and specific stains for melanocytes are a much more accurate technique.  This is why Mohs is not typically done for melanoma.  It was designed for Basal Cell and Squamous Cell carcinoma both of which show up well with frozen sections.  However, my cutaneous oncologist (Mohs surgeon) says he will use it for Lentigo Maligna because that particular type of melanoma has a high local recurrence rate.  That type is probably not what your daughter would have if hers was melanoma- that's typically sun spots gone bad.

I saw the picture Bonnie posted.  I would seek out a ocular reconstructive plastic surgeon if possible or a plastic surgeon well versed with eyes.  I would have the entire lesion excised in one excisional biopsy – not Mohs.  I would only take the lesion, not extra margins until you know for sure what this is.  No need for the biopsy to be more disfiguring than necessary.  If for some reason this were melanoma and she had to have more removed, then you could discuss Mohs or which technique would work best for her specific lesion after you know depth, etc.  Melanoma is quite rare in children so for me, the normal biopsy technique removing the entire lesion in one "clump" still seems the best technique.

Best wishes,

Janner, your neighbor to the north in Utah

Janner
          Participant

Frozen section technique is not the best technique for determining melanoma.  Melanocytes don't show up well under frozen sections.  Slides done in paraffin and specific stains for melanocytes are a much more accurate technique.  This is why Mohs is not typically done for melanoma.  It was designed for Basal Cell and Squamous Cell carcinoma both of which show up well with frozen sections.  However, my cutaneous oncologist (Mohs surgeon) says he will use it for Lentigo Maligna because that particular type of melanoma has a high local recurrence rate.  That type is probably not what your daughter would have if hers was melanoma- that's typically sun spots gone bad.

I saw the picture Bonnie posted.  I would seek out a ocular reconstructive plastic surgeon if possible or a plastic surgeon well versed with eyes.  I would have the entire lesion excised in one excisional biopsy – not Mohs.  I would only take the lesion, not extra margins until you know for sure what this is.  No need for the biopsy to be more disfiguring than necessary.  If for some reason this were melanoma and she had to have more removed, then you could discuss Mohs or which technique would work best for her specific lesion after you know depth, etc.  Melanoma is quite rare in children so for me, the normal biopsy technique removing the entire lesion in one "clump" still seems the best technique.

Best wishes,

Janner, your neighbor to the north in Utah

MichaelFL
            Participant

Although freezing is performed for many skin "thingys", it is a no-no for any lesion suspected to be melanoma. On the off chance it is melanoma, cell damage can occur making it difficult to determine it is indeed melanoma, as well as the possibility of the tumor being transected.

You have it right, the suspected mole is excised and sent off for biopsy to verify what it is before anything else is done. No sense in doing anything else until verifying what the lesion is first.

MOHS is mostly done for basal cell and squamous cell, but I am aware that it has also been done on occasion for insitu melanoma (which has no depth) and very thin melanomas in cosmetically sensitive areas. From my understanding the lesion has to be very thin, and it is up the doctors discretion as well.

As an example:

Mohs Micrographic Surgery

2300 W Stone Drive ● Kingsport TN 37660

Telephone 423-246-4961 ● 1-800-445-7274 (VA Toll Free)

Fax 423-245-1200

Using the Mohs Technique for Thin Melanomas

Mohs surgery is usually done to treat non-melanoma skin cancers

(basal cell and squamous cell cancers), but we have modified the

procedure to treat thin melanomas in order to allow for better tracing

of the melanoma roots.

Usually the Mohs technique involves checking the tissue edges in

our office while you wait (all in the same day). For technical reasons,

melanomas must be sent to an outside lab for special stains and

interpretation and therefore it takes about two days to get the report.

Fortunately, we can prepare the tissue in our lab prior to sending it

out so that we are able to map the roots with the Mohs technique

which allows for evaluation of 100% of the margin. This technique is

only done for thin melanomas.

Thus, it needs to be determined what the lesion is before a determination can be made as to what needs to be done next.

So, when you get the biopsy results, you may wish to discuss with the doctor if it can be done in your daughters specific case.

Still betting this is something benign.

Keep the board posted.

Michael

MichaelFL
              Participant

Although freezing is performed for many skin "thingys", it is a no-no for any lesion suspected to be melanoma. On the off chance it is melanoma, cell damage can occur making it difficult to determine it is indeed melanoma, as well as the possibility of the tumor being transected.

You have it right, the suspected mole is excised and sent off for biopsy to verify what it is before anything else is done. No sense in doing anything else until verifying what the lesion is first.

MOHS is mostly done for basal cell and squamous cell, but I am aware that it has also been done on occasion for insitu melanoma (which has no depth) and very thin melanomas in cosmetically sensitive areas. From my understanding the lesion has to be very thin, and it is up the doctors discretion as well.

As an example:

Mohs Micrographic Surgery

2300 W Stone Drive ● Kingsport TN 37660

Telephone 423-246-4961 ● 1-800-445-7274 (VA Toll Free)

Fax 423-245-1200

Using the Mohs Technique for Thin Melanomas

Mohs surgery is usually done to treat non-melanoma skin cancers

(basal cell and squamous cell cancers), but we have modified the

procedure to treat thin melanomas in order to allow for better tracing

of the melanoma roots.

Usually the Mohs technique involves checking the tissue edges in

our office while you wait (all in the same day). For technical reasons,

melanomas must be sent to an outside lab for special stains and

interpretation and therefore it takes about two days to get the report.

Fortunately, we can prepare the tissue in our lab prior to sending it

out so that we are able to map the roots with the Mohs technique

which allows for evaluation of 100% of the margin. This technique is

only done for thin melanomas.

Thus, it needs to be determined what the lesion is before a determination can be made as to what needs to be done next.

So, when you get the biopsy results, you may wish to discuss with the doctor if it can be done in your daughters specific case.

Still betting this is something benign.

Keep the board posted.

Michael

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics