The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Why do Drs office always sit on test results …

Forums General Melanoma Community Why do Drs office always sit on test results …

Participant

I have been trying to find out the results of my daughter's biopsy for the past two days and they kept telling me it is not available yet.  I just obtained a copy of the report and it says it was completed and faxed to the drs office yesterday morning.  Why do they do that?  Whenever I called they would tell me they would contact me as soon as it is available but they never did.  This is so frustrating …

I have been trying to find out the results of my daughter's biopsy for the past two days and they kept telling me it is not available yet.  I just obtained a copy of the report and it says it was completed and faxed to the drs office yesterday morning.  Why do they do that?  Whenever I called they would tell me they would contact me as soon as it is available but they never did.  This is so frustrating …

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

I can imagine how frustrating that would be, I have never had that happen to me, I will be having another scan on Monday and I see the doctor the same day with the results. When I had a biopsy done locally they told me before I left the hospital of the results so I would be nervous to be waiting so long. Hope you hear soon.  Joan

yoopergirl
          Participant

I can imagine how frustrating that would be, I have never had that happen to me, I will be having another scan on Monday and I see the doctor the same day with the results. When I had a biopsy done locally they told me before I left the hospital of the results so I would be nervous to be waiting so long. Hope you hear soon.  Joan

yoopergirl
            Participant

natasha
              Participant

I had the same.They did not tell me anything , I contacted nurse and she told me results ,but it took another 1 month to have my path report printed and posted to me 🙁

natasha
                Participant

I had the same.They did not tell me anything , I contacted nurse and she told me results ,but it took another 1 month to have my path report printed and posted to me 🙁

natasha
                  Participant

aldakota22
                    Participant

Guess they are just overworked.Usually too many patients are seen in one day.But it is better to have a dr.give you the time you deserve even if it means you sometimes have to wait.There is no express lane when it comes to yours and every other patient s care.   Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Guess they are just overworked.Usually too many patients are seen in one day.But it is better to have a dr.give you the time you deserve even if it means you sometimes have to wait.There is no express lane when it comes to yours and every other patient s care.   Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Bruce Davis
                          Participant
                            I had a CT scan @ 9:30 in the morning and the results by 2:00pm…Where we live in DE all we have to do is sign for the report from the hospital or outpatient facility. I would ask what the policy is where your tests are being done.
                            Bruce Davis
                            Participant
                              I had a CT scan @ 9:30 in the morning and the results by 2:00pm…Where we live in DE all we have to do is sign for the report from the hospital or outpatient facility. I would ask what the policy is where your tests are being done.
                              Bruce Davis
                              Participant
                                Bruce Davis
                                Participant
                                  My wife reminded me that the original biopsy of my mass took about a week to say it was inconclusive and a total of 6 weeks from the time of biopsy to get an answer from the 4th lab (a DNA lab in California to get an answer) that it was melanoma.
                                  Bruce Davis
                                  Participant
                                    My wife reminded me that the original biopsy of my mass took about a week to say it was inconclusive and a total of 6 weeks from the time of biopsy to get an answer from the 4th lab (a DNA lab in California to get an answer) that it was melanoma.
                                    Bruce Davis
                                    Participant
                                      Newmom
                                      Participant

I actually have no issue waiting for the results.  I understand it takes time and lot of work but it is very frustrating when Drs have the reports but sit on it for days …

This is what's posted on NYU Dermatopathology's website (http://dermatology.med.nyu.edu/patient-services/nyu-dermatopathology):

"We diagnose most specimens within 24 hours. All reports are sent by courier, FedEx or mail. Reports are faxed or electronically submitted upon request. All malignant melanomas, unexpected high grade malignancies, and serious inflammatory or infectious diseases are first reported by telephone."

Newmom
                                        Participant

I actually have no issue waiting for the results.  I understand it takes time and lot of work but it is very frustrating when Drs have the reports but sit on it for days …

This is what's posted on NYU Dermatopathology's website (http://dermatology.med.nyu.edu/patient-services/nyu-dermatopathology):

"We diagnose most specimens within 24 hours. All reports are sent by courier, FedEx or mail. Reports are faxed or electronically submitted upon request. All malignant melanomas, unexpected high grade malignancies, and serious inflammatory or infectious diseases are first reported by telephone."

Newmom
                                          Participant

blairashley
                                            Participant

I find that they "sit on" results when they are inconclusive or hard to define. When it's good news, I seem to get results instantaneously. Bad news, however, usually requires pressing the nurse for days or weeks before I hear anything. So, I totally understand how you feel.

blairashley
                                              Participant

I find that they "sit on" results when they are inconclusive or hard to define. When it's good news, I seem to get results instantaneously. Bad news, however, usually requires pressing the nurse for days or weeks before I hear anything. So, I totally understand how you feel.

blairashley
                                                Participant

HoolieB
                                                  Participant

If the results are straightforward, my doctor or his PA call me within a day or three.  If the report does not offer enough clarity for his preference, my doctor requests a second read.  He told me he likes to take into account my entire history of biopsies when reading the pathologist's report and determining a course of action (or hopefully, inaction!) for the latest biopsy site.  I'm OK with delays for second opinions and my doctor's considered review of the report.  That being said, when I used to go to an HMO-referred derm, results ALWAYS took 2 – 4 weeks, most likely because of the huge patient load.

Sorry for rambling!  Hopefully all the excellent responses here will help put your mind at ease. 

HoolieB
                                                    Participant

If the results are straightforward, my doctor or his PA call me within a day or three.  If the report does not offer enough clarity for his preference, my doctor requests a second read.  He told me he likes to take into account my entire history of biopsies when reading the pathologist's report and determining a course of action (or hopefully, inaction!) for the latest biopsy site.  I'm OK with delays for second opinions and my doctor's considered review of the report.  That being said, when I used to go to an HMO-referred derm, results ALWAYS took 2 – 4 weeks, most likely because of the huge patient load.

Sorry for rambling!  Hopefully all the excellent responses here will help put your mind at ease. 

HoolieB
                                                      Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics