The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Why are patients hesitant about enrolling in clinical trials?

Forums General Melanoma Community Why are patients hesitant about enrolling in clinical trials?

• Replies
      WithinMySkin
      Participant
        One thing that is completely neglected in this article is the delay factor. It may take weeks, sometimes months, to find a clinical trial that will accept you, go through the extensive testing and paperwork necessary, and receive your first treatment. Every cancer patient feels the clock ticking, and if there are other options available immediately that have been proven to work, why go through the anxiety-riddled waiting period? This is a huge factor in a patient’s choice NOT to enroll in a trial.
        WithinMySkin
        Participant
          One thing that is completely neglected in this article is the delay factor. It may take weeks, sometimes months, to find a clinical trial that will accept you, go through the extensive testing and paperwork necessary, and receive your first treatment. Every cancer patient feels the clock ticking, and if there are other options available immediately that have been proven to work, why go through the anxiety-riddled waiting period? This is a huge factor in a patient’s choice NOT to enroll in a trial.
            beans920
            Participant

That wasn't the case for me.  It took more time for the biopsy results, more time to schedule a surgeon to remove it, more time to schedule an oncologist visit to review everything and put a plan in place.  From my Dr. sitting down and going over a number of trials and me getting my first dose in the trial was  less than 2 weeks.  Beans

beans920
              Participant

That wasn't the case for me.  It took more time for the biopsy results, more time to schedule a surgeon to remove it, more time to schedule an oncologist visit to review everything and put a plan in place.  From my Dr. sitting down and going over a number of trials and me getting my first dose in the trial was  less than 2 weeks.  Beans

beans920
                Participant

jvictoria
                  Participant

My experience was very challenging, to the point where I had to get very involved with all parties. It took well over 3 months to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed. The clincal trial people had to redo the genetic testing 3 times. I made it on the trial with 2 days to spare… completly stressing out every step of the way.

jvictoria
                    Participant

My experience was very challenging, to the point where I had to get very involved with all parties. It took well over 3 months to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed. The clincal trial people had to redo the genetic testing 3 times. I made it on the trial with 2 days to spare… completly stressing out every step of the way.

jvictoria
                      Participant

WithinMySkin
                      Participant
                        Cathy M
                        Participant
                          The time factor is critical to a cancer patient. After jumping hoops for 10 weeks without ANY treatment my husband was denied access to a clinical trial because the biopsy specimen wasn’t adequate. We only found this out after our oncologist called the trial sponsor. They didn’t even bother to notify our oncologist!!

Another consideration is the means to physically travel to a clinical trial location … be it personal finances and/or patient’s physical condition.

jvictoria
                            Participant

Desertsun… That is what happened to me "biopsy specimen inadequate" it took literally 3 iterations of sending specimens to the clinical trial people… on the third attempt, I had to get involved. Called the pathology department directly, asked them what they were doing and found out that they were sending lymph node samples that had microscopic signs of Melanoma. I asked them to send a sample of the original tumor which had a much larger sample. Problem solved.

But, the stress it caused me and my family was terrible. It pains me at how impersonal this whole process can be.

jvictoria
                              Participant

Desertsun… That is what happened to me "biopsy specimen inadequate" it took literally 3 iterations of sending specimens to the clinical trial people… on the third attempt, I had to get involved. Called the pathology department directly, asked them what they were doing and found out that they were sending lymph node samples that had microscopic signs of Melanoma. I asked them to send a sample of the original tumor which had a much larger sample. Problem solved.

But, the stress it caused me and my family was terrible. It pains me at how impersonal this whole process can be.

jvictoria
                                Participant

Cathy M
                                  Participant

Agreed Juan…the stress factor gets to be almost unbearable. My husband had just learned of progression after about 9 months of stability with his targeted therapy, Mekinist. After our wait and "the hoops" we couldn't stand it any longer and ditched that clinical trial when they said "inadequate specimen" and went for Keytruda. Seems to have been a good move as Keytruda held his melanoma (liver, lungs) for 1 year before his recent progression.

Cathy M
                                    Participant

Agreed Juan…the stress factor gets to be almost unbearable. My husband had just learned of progression after about 9 months of stability with his targeted therapy, Mekinist. After our wait and "the hoops" we couldn't stand it any longer and ditched that clinical trial when they said "inadequate specimen" and went for Keytruda. Seems to have been a good move as Keytruda held his melanoma (liver, lungs) for 1 year before his recent progression.

Cathy M
                                      Participant

Cathy M
                                      Participant
                                        The time factor is critical to a cancer patient. After jumping hoops for 10 weeks without ANY treatment my husband was denied access to a clinical trial because the biopsy specimen wasn’t adequate. We only found this out after our oncologist called the trial sponsor. They didn’t even bother to notify our oncologist!!

Another consideration is the means to physically travel to a clinical trial location … be it personal finances and/or patient’s physical condition.

Cathy M
                                        Participant

Hukill
                                          Participant

I would not enroll in one because you don't know what you are getting. You may get the drug, you may get a placebo but you wont know.

Hukill
                                            Participant

I would not enroll in one because you don't know what you are getting. You may get the drug, you may get a placebo but you wont know.

Hukill
                                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics