The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Whoda thunk?

Forums General Melanoma Community Whoda thunk?

Participant

Hello All,

I am new to this forum…well, ANY forum for that matter, and I am also new to Melanoma… REALLY new. Biopsy last month, re-excision last week…Another reexcision scheduled at the end of the month…Pathology folks sent my last excision on for a second opinion… But so far, have been told it is level II stage t1A (on the outer ear helix)…..will have more detail when the second opinion comes back within a week… 

Hello All,

I am new to this forum…well, ANY forum for that matter, and I am also new to Melanoma… REALLY new. Biopsy last month, re-excision last week…Another reexcision scheduled at the end of the month…Pathology folks sent my last excision on for a second opinion… But so far, have been told it is level II stage t1A (on the outer ear helix)…..will have more detail when the second opinion comes back within a week… 

Not only have I read an overabundance of melanoma-related information in the last month, but I have become overwhelmed, almost consumed by it. I do realize I am at an extremely early stage, and I don't feel right to 'complain' in comparison to some of these stories I have read, but I feel compelled to at least 'vent' and gather more info, from real people (not just google) and opinions, stories, reassurance of sorts. Im past the point of worrying and having a downward spiral of emotion and morbid thoughts, now I'm at the point of 'how will you fix me?'…… And I understand at this kind of early stage, it is very fixable, but it has since opened the door to another realm of questioning…..

Could this other freckle be cancer? Is this little bump in my neck a swollen node? And all of the sudden, Ive developed crazy abdominal issues in the past month or two…. irregular vaginal bleeding, cramping, pain, gas, constipation, insane bloating (like my pants dont fit) occasional dizziness, extreme fatigue….. I have had suspected cancer cells removed from my cervix before (a common procedure, turned out to be nothing) but now it's like I wont be satisfied until I get some sort of full body scan to make sure I haven't missed anything else…

Everyone is very supportive, and telling me it will be fine, but even before I was diagnosed, I was told it was nothing. Even my doctor I initially went to said "it doesnt look like malnoma, which is good, you dont want that, it's pretty much incurable, a death sentence"….YES he said those EXACT words!!! I know this is not true, and maybe he was trying too hard to prove his confidence, but even from the beginning, i just kind of "KNEW" that it was…. And now, i just kind of 'KNOW' that this isn't the whole story…..

Please….thoughts?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

If it's level II, Stage IA. . then that is pretty early and probably will be ok after excision.  Is there a 100% guarantee of anything?  No.  But, maybe 95%.

JC
          Participant

If it's level II, Stage IA. . then that is pretty early and probably will be ok after excision.  Is there a 100% guarantee of anything?  No.  But, maybe 95%.

JC
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

So sorry you have joined us but good for you for catching Melanoma early.  I think most people go though a bit a paranoia after being diagnosed.  Hopefully, it passes.  I believe it is part of the grieving process, recognizing that you are not immortal.  The internet search is an attempt to gain control but it really doesn't help after a point especially at your stage.  OK, so there's my dime store psychiatry.wink

What you need to know is that you are a very low risk to reoccurrence.  You should practice sun safety and find yourself a good dermatologist.  Other than that try to move on.  It's time to go celebrate life!

KnowThyself
                  Participant

Thank you, and that is the advice I have been given the most, is to keep living life, and move forward and be optimistic… And that advice is correct, I suppose no matter the outlook, good like mine, or not so good like so many others, it really boils down to quality…Hard to steer clear of the morbid corner, but to succumb to fear and anticipation of the worst is not much of a life at all..

Thanks again, I'll be updating and checking in often, my best wishes to everyone..

KnowThyself
                    Participant

Thank you, and that is the advice I have been given the most, is to keep living life, and move forward and be optimistic… And that advice is correct, I suppose no matter the outlook, good like mine, or not so good like so many others, it really boils down to quality…Hard to steer clear of the morbid corner, but to succumb to fear and anticipation of the worst is not much of a life at all..

Thanks again, I'll be updating and checking in often, my best wishes to everyone..

KnowThyself
                      Participant

washoegal
                      Participant

So sorry you have joined us but good for you for catching Melanoma early.  I think most people go though a bit a paranoia after being diagnosed.  Hopefully, it passes.  I believe it is part of the grieving process, recognizing that you are not immortal.  The internet search is an attempt to gain control but it really doesn't help after a point especially at your stage.  OK, so there's my dime store psychiatry.wink

What you need to know is that you are a very low risk to reoccurrence.  You should practice sun safety and find yourself a good dermatologist.  Other than that try to move on.  It's time to go celebrate life!

washoegal
                        Participant

JC
                          Participant

Life is a death sentence

KnowThyself
                              Participant

ummm wow…. I am sorry you feel that way, I certainly don't.

KnowThyself
                                Participant

KnowThyself
                                  Participant

JC
                                  Participant

Life is a death sentence

JC
                                    Participant

Life is a death sentence

JC
                                      Participant

I just mean in response to what your Dr said. . .we all are going to die of something so his/her words were ridiculous

JC
                                        Participant

I just mean in response to what your Dr said. . .we all are going to die of something so his/her words were ridiculous

KnowThyself
                                            Participant

True… Yes, I was surprised to hear him say that, seems how no diagnosis has been made yet, it was only his guess that it WASNT melanoma, and it actually turned out to be. Had I not done my own research and known the diagnosis did not mean my inevitable death, his words would have rung in my ears until someone told me different… Amazing.

KnowThyself
                                              Participant

True… Yes, I was surprised to hear him say that, seems how no diagnosis has been made yet, it was only his guess that it WASNT melanoma, and it actually turned out to be. Had I not done my own research and known the diagnosis did not mean my inevitable death, his words would have rung in my ears until someone told me different… Amazing.

KnowThyself
                                                Participant

correction "no diagnosis *had* been made yet, at that point…

KnowThyself
                                                  Participant

KnowThyself
                                                    Participant

KnowThyself
                                                      Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

Sandy11
                                                        Participant

Some physicians seem to look past the patient and check their people skills at the door.  The important thing is that he/she is good at what they do.  My husband's doc said, "At least you know what is going to kill you"… geez.  He's been a great doctor and is one of the best in his field so we're happy to over look his "mouth and foot disease".  We'll that was over 4 years ago.  My husband is stage IV and we just returned from Disneyland.  

It sounds like you were diagnosed early; which is very good and there has been much success at the early stages. Digging around for information and being consumed by the news is normal.  Hopefully, you can begin to relax a bit soon.  Be aware that much of the data is old and based on past results prior to the latest treatments.  There are lots of new treatments on the horizon and other new ones that are being used.  The long term results have yet to be published, but preliminary info looks good.    I hope your final results in a week are wonderful and offer you relief from the scare.

Take care and hang in there…

Sandy11
                                                          Participant

Some physicians seem to look past the patient and check their people skills at the door.  The important thing is that he/she is good at what they do.  My husband's doc said, "At least you know what is going to kill you"… geez.  He's been a great doctor and is one of the best in his field so we're happy to over look his "mouth and foot disease".  We'll that was over 4 years ago.  My husband is stage IV and we just returned from Disneyland.  

It sounds like you were diagnosed early; which is very good and there has been much success at the early stages. Digging around for information and being consumed by the news is normal.  Hopefully, you can begin to relax a bit soon.  Be aware that much of the data is old and based on past results prior to the latest treatments.  There are lots of new treatments on the horizon and other new ones that are being used.  The long term results have yet to be published, but preliminary info looks good.    I hope your final results in a week are wonderful and offer you relief from the scare.

Sandy11
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics