The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

White spots on skin??

Forums General Melanoma Community White spots on skin??

Participant

Has anyone experienced patches of their skin turning into white blotches??  Charles' arms and part of chest have now gotton white splotches instead of his normal skin tone.  I assume it is lack of melanon??  Any feedback or experience shared is great, thank you.

Rita

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Vitiligo – do a search.  Considered a good sign when on immunotherapy. 

Janner
          Participant

Janner
            Participant

Rita and Charles
                Participant

Thanks Janner…….the kink is he isn't on immunotherapy yet, that will happen TBD after our July scans. He just finished BRAF combo, has been off it with no meds for almost 2 months now……..holding pattern..Thanks for your response, as awlays.

Rita

Rita and Charles
                  Participant

Thanks Janner…….the kink is he isn't on immunotherapy yet, that will happen TBD after our July scans. He just finished BRAF combo, has been off it with no meds for almost 2 months now……..holding pattern..Thanks for your response, as awlays.

Rita

Rita and Charles
                    Participant

Rita

Janner
                      Participant

Still a good sign – it could be an after effect of the BRAF drugs which target melanocytes.   Melanoma is also known to be one cancer that can go into spontaneous remission.  Wishing you luck on the scans!!!

Janner
                        Participant

Still a good sign – it could be an after effect of the BRAF drugs which target melanocytes.   Melanoma is also known to be one cancer that can go into spontaneous remission.  Wishing you luck on the scans!!!

Janner
                          Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hi Rita,

Yes my husband was on Ipi and did get the white spots as Janner pointed out vitiligo.  He has it mainly on his face and even the facial hairs are mostly white.

When his eyebrows started white the oncologist said that was a good sign that it was probably working.  His mainly went down face and to the collar bone.  His hair on his head stayed dark but he says he has Santa eyebrows.

He has been NED for over 3.5 years so he will take the white in exchange.

Judy (loving wife of Gene – Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hi Rita,

Yes my husband was on Ipi and did get the white spots as Janner pointed out vitiligo.  He has it mainly on his face and even the facial hairs are mostly white.

When his eyebrows started white the oncologist said that was a good sign that it was probably working.  His mainly went down face and to the collar bone.  His hair on his head stayed dark but he says he has Santa eyebrows.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hi Rita,

Andrew1725
                                Participant

I got areas of white patches on my back from Interferon. I later progressed to Stage 4, but as Janner said vitiligo from immunotherapy treatements is generally considered to be a positive prognostic factor. Try a Google Search for "Vitiligo Immunotherapy".

Andrew1725
                                  Participant

I got areas of white patches on my back from Interferon. I later progressed to Stage 4, but as Janner said vitiligo from immunotherapy treatements is generally considered to be a positive prognostic factor. Try a Google Search for "Vitiligo Immunotherapy".

Andrew1725
                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Vitiligo has long been recognized as a positive sign regarding a good response to melanoma. Rarely, (and there was more documentation/attention on this prior to 2010 and any viable melanoma treatments) folks were rid themselves of melanoma via their own immune response and those folks often presented with vitiligo. In these later years we have determined that folks with vitiligo….subsequent to many different melanoma therapies….often have a better outcome than those who do not.  Here is a post with many different links within:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/11/vitiligoagain-associated-with-response.html

Celeste

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Vitiligo has long been recognized as a positive sign regarding a good response to melanoma. Rarely, (and there was more documentation/attention on this prior to 2010 and any viable melanoma treatments) folks were rid themselves of melanoma via their own immune response and those folks often presented with vitiligo. In these later years we have determined that folks with vitiligo….subsequent to many different melanoma therapies….often have a better outcome than those who do not.  Here is a post with many different links within:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/11/vitiligoagain-associated-with-response.html

Celeste

Rita and Charles
                                            Participant

Thank you – I will take it as good signs!!!

Rita and Charles
                                              Participant

Rita and Charles
                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Celeste

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics