The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Which cancer center in usa is the best one that treats musocal melanoma?

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Which cancer center in usa is the best one that treats musocal melanoma?

Participant

I'm from China and my sister was diagnoased with vaginal melanoma 2.5 years ago and now PET scans and CT scan both show that she lymph nodes in her lungs and her pelvic cavity (which we are not quite sure about ) coz the CT scan on June 30 shows the lymph nodes have shrunk a lot compared with the scan performed on May 31. Anyway, I want to take her to the States for accurate dignosis and for advanced treatment to control the progress of her disease. I am now contacting Moffitt Center at Tampa Florida and also MD Anderson in Houston.

I'm from China and my sister was diagnoased with vaginal melanoma 2.5 years ago and now PET scans and CT scan both show that she lymph nodes in her lungs and her pelvic cavity (which we are not quite sure about ) coz the CT scan on June 30 shows the lymph nodes have shrunk a lot compared with the scan performed on May 31. Anyway, I want to take her to the States for accurate dignosis and for advanced treatment to control the progress of her disease. I am now contacting Moffitt Center at Tampa Florida and also MD Anderson in Houston. Anyone here who's also got mucosal melanoma could recommend one good hospital for us to go to coz I know without American health care insurance, it is very expensive to make this trip to get treatment, so we do want to make the best and right choice for my sister. Please kindly offer your opinions and thanks in advance.

Fenny from China

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        susanr
        Participant

Fenny,

Sorry about your sister and you are a great brother.  As you will see on this forum..many are followed by docs. at Moffitt and MD Anderson.  My brother is followed by Dr. Pavlik at NYU.  They take very good care of him.  If we were to go for another opinion or did not have access to a reputable hospital close to my home…I would go to Moffitt or MD Anderson.

I am sure many others will post to you soon….give everyone some time. 

Best of luck to you prayers for your sister…..keep us posted

Susan NY

susanr
          Participant

Fenny,

Sorry about your sister and you are a great brother.  As you will see on this forum..many are followed by docs. at Moffitt and MD Anderson.  My brother is followed by Dr. Pavlik at NYU.  They take very good care of him.  If we were to go for another opinion or did not have access to a reputable hospital close to my home…I would go to Moffitt or MD Anderson.

Susan NY

susanr
            Participant

Fenny,

Susan NY

Linny
              Participant

Hi Fenny,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. You may also want to call Dana Farber in Boston, Massachusetts. Based on their web site the appear to have some expertise in mucosal melanoma:

http://www.dana-farber.org/Adult-Care/Treatment-and-Support/Treatment-Centers-and-Clinical-Services/Melanoma-Treatment-Center.aspx#About

Linny
                Participant

Hi Fenny,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. You may also want to call Dana Farber in Boston, Massachusetts. Based on their web site the appear to have some expertise in mucosal melanoma:

http://www.dana-farber.org/Adult-Care/Treatment-and-Support/Treatment-Centers-and-Clinical-Services/Melanoma-Treatment-Center.aspx#About

Linny
                  Participant

Hi Fenny,

LynnLuc
                    Participant

I got to Moffitt Cancer Center in FL and I am stage 4 and NED for over 2 years. I have Dr. Weber.  He is the guy over the melanoma …you can actually e-mail him at j[email protected]  and he is sure to answer your e-mail personlly and directly. I think Moffitt is the best place for melanoma, but I am bias.

LynnLuc
                      Participant

I got to Moffitt Cancer Center in FL and I am stage 4 and NED for over 2 years. I have Dr. Weber.  He is the guy over the melanoma …you can actually e-mail him at j[email protected]  and he is sure to answer your e-mail personlly and directly. I think Moffitt is the best place for melanoma, but I am bias.

LynnLuc
                        Participant

MaryD
                          Participant

Hi Fenny,

I'm sorry that your sister is going through all this and agree it would be a good idea to seek opinions/treatment over here in the US if possible.

I think you have made some good choices contacting Moffitt and MD Anderson – I am a patient of Dr. Jeff Weber at Moffitt and he is an excellent doctor.   As noted in one of the other posts, you can email him directly and he is very prompt with responses.  

I'm glad you found us at the MPIP and please keep us posted as to how everything works out.   Your sister will be in my thoughts  . . .

Mary

MaryD
                            Participant

Hi Fenny,

I'm sorry that your sister is going through all this and agree it would be a good idea to seek opinions/treatment over here in the US if possible.

I think you have made some good choices contacting Moffitt and MD Anderson – I am a patient of Dr. Jeff Weber at Moffitt and he is an excellent doctor.   As noted in one of the other posts, you can email him directly and he is very prompt with responses.  

I'm glad you found us at the MPIP and please keep us posted as to how everything works out.   Your sister will be in my thoughts  . . .

Mary

MaryD
                              Participant

Hi Fenny,

Mary

Viewing 14 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics