The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When will the scan?

Forums General Melanoma Community When will the scan?

Participant

My diagnosis was 10/29, WLE 11/20 with 3 positive nodes.  12/29 complete node dissection.  I have yet to have any testing includes even just a chest X-ray. Is that normal? At what point she I expect one.  

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

IMO it seems like the logical plan would be to have one at about 3 months but I'm not sure if that is standard or if someone's insurance would support that timeline.  Your question got me thinking of my own timeline and it looks like I had my disection in Sep 11 and had my first scan in Mar 12 so it looks like I was on a six month plan.  Not sure if that's the norm or not.  I did notice I had a Brain MRI at about the same time of the disection but that was because of some headaches I was having.  Hope this helps.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

IMO it seems like the logical plan would be to have one at about 3 months but I'm not sure if that is standard or if someone's insurance would support that timeline.  Your question got me thinking of my own timeline and it looks like I had my disection in Sep 11 and had my first scan in Mar 12 so it looks like I was on a six month plan.  Not sure if that's the norm or not.  I did notice I had a Brain MRI at about the same time of the disection but that was because of some headaches I was having.  Hope this helps.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

Thandster
              Participant

I had WLE on the 10/24. 3 nodes positive. Then I was scheduled for a PET/CT because Doc said if evidence of disease was found beyond lymph nodes the bi lateral inguinal dissection would not be performed. We'd go straight to treatment. Scan came back clean and I had the dissection on 12/29. (This was all in 2012)

Thandster
                Participant

I had WLE on the 10/24. 3 nodes positive. Then I was scheduled for a PET/CT because Doc said if evidence of disease was found beyond lymph nodes the bi lateral inguinal dissection would not be performed. We'd go straight to treatment. Scan came back clean and I had the dissection on 12/29. (This was all in 2012)

Thandster
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

My personnal opinion is that if one is stage IIB or greater a baseline PET/CT should be performed. And at ;least a chest x-ray withing three months of finding plositive lymph nodes.I had a 7 1/2 lymph node operation on Jan 25th.  A PET shortly there after found nothing.  A month after the grooin lymph node operation a check x-ray contained suspidous nodules. A CT in March found innumerable, rapidly growing nodules in both my lungs.  My general oncoloogist gave me 30-180 days to live.  i immedeiatley jumped for IL-2 treatments .  Still here.  8 years later.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

My personnal opinion is that if one is stage IIB or greater a baseline PET/CT should be performed. And at ;least a chest x-ray withing three months of finding plositive lymph nodes.I had a 7 1/2 lymph node operation on Jan 25th.  A PET shortly there after found nothing.  A month after the grooin lymph node operation a check x-ray contained suspidous nodules. A CT in March found innumerable, rapidly growing nodules in both my lungs.  My general oncoloogist gave me 30-180 days to live.  i immedeiatley jumped for IL-2 treatments .  Still here.  8 years later.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

_Paul_
                          Participant

I had my SLNB on 7/3/12 and path report completed on 7/9/12 which placed me at stage 3a. My (general) oncologist at the time recommended interferon. I was fortunate enough to find my way to SCCA, a melanoma center of excellence. My new (melanoma) oncologist ordered a CT scan which was completed on 7/20/12. I never did receive interferon.

Skipping forward closer to now I had a period of 10 months when no scan was done (because previous scans before had not shown progression). During that 10 months I want from stage 3c (I was 3c because of an earlier recurrence) to stage 4.

I was fortunate that even though I now had tumors in lungs, liver and gallbladder that they were not huge, so my tumor burden was low. I was put on Yervoy and I am now on Keytruda. Both of those treatments are more effective when the tumor burden is low. So in my opinion it is better to get 3 month scans once you have progressed to stage 3, so that you can begin treatment with an immunotherapy drug ASAP when the tumor load is small and you have the best chance of success.

However, the radiation from a PET is significant, and cumulative, so there must be a point where the risk from the continued exposure to radiation outweighs the risk of a recurrence. Maybe someone else can weigh in on when that point might be (two years maybe?).

_Paul_
                            Participant

I had my SLNB on 7/3/12 and path report completed on 7/9/12 which placed me at stage 3a. My (general) oncologist at the time recommended interferon. I was fortunate enough to find my way to SCCA, a melanoma center of excellence. My new (melanoma) oncologist ordered a CT scan which was completed on 7/20/12. I never did receive interferon.

Skipping forward closer to now I had a period of 10 months when no scan was done (because previous scans before had not shown progression). During that 10 months I want from stage 3c (I was 3c because of an earlier recurrence) to stage 4.

I was fortunate that even though I now had tumors in lungs, liver and gallbladder that they were not huge, so my tumor burden was low. I was put on Yervoy and I am now on Keytruda. Both of those treatments are more effective when the tumor burden is low. So in my opinion it is better to get 3 month scans once you have progressed to stage 3, so that you can begin treatment with an immunotherapy drug ASAP when the tumor load is small and you have the best chance of success.

However, the radiation from a PET is significant, and cumulative, so there must be a point where the risk from the continued exposure to radiation outweighs the risk of a recurrence. Maybe someone else can weigh in on when that point might be (two years maybe?).

_Paul_
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics