The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When it rains, it pours!

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community When it rains, it pours!

Participant
      Hi all! As many of you know, my husband Kevin is set to have a small bowel resection on Tuesday. I am very hopeful form this procedure since that is the only spot that lit up on the PET scan. Even OK with the dreaded watch and wait afterwards. Now, being the dutiful wife and mother that I am I’ve called in reinforcements to help while Kevin is in the hospital, I have gotten the laundry done, house cleaned & anything else within my power to prepare for the surgery. What I didn’t expect was a snow storm in North Carolina of 1 inch worth of snow keeping my kids home from school, a baseball lesson location to not charge me the monthly fee I had expected and want the back pay, and to top it off, the 4 year old to come down with a wicked fever! I know I can handle it all. God gives us only what we can handle with his help, but should I keep the little one away from his daddy just to be safe? I’m going to go to the pediatrician in the morning just to be on the safe side & is it too late for Kevin to get a flu shot before his surgery?
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        buffcody
        Participant

You're going through a lot.  God doesn't give us more than we can bear but He sure thinks you can bear a lot.  I really would keep your son as far away from his father as possible as well as employing the other ways in which you can keep infections from spreading.  As far as the flu shot goes, I think it would be too late  But what do I know?  Not much.  I think it's worth a call to the surgeon's office or your oncologist's.  I think the nurses either place would have some better advice than mine  But call.  I'd also say the pharmacist, but as a second choice.  Hope all works out well for all of you. 

Frank

buffcody
          Participant

You're going through a lot.  God doesn't give us more than we can bear but He sure thinks you can bear a lot.  I really would keep your son as far away from his father as possible as well as employing the other ways in which you can keep infections from spreading.  As far as the flu shot goes, I think it would be too late  But what do I know?  Not much.  I think it's worth a call to the surgeon's office or your oncologist's.  I think the nurses either place would have some better advice than mine  But call.  I'd also say the pharmacist, but as a second choice.  Hope all works out well for all of you. 

Frank

buffcody
            Participant

Frank

Jahendry12
              Participant

Sorry you are going through all of this, but isn't it funny how you 'just keep going?'  You don't stop, you just keep moving forward which is great.  Good for your mind as well as your family.

As far as the flu shot, maybe ask if he could get one at the hospital after his surgery.  When my husband had thoracic surgery in November, they gave him a flu & pnuemonia shot before he left the hospital. 

I had Influenza A last year (it was horrible) and I lived in the basement for 3 days :).  My son would come down & visit me with a mask on.

Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. 

Julie

Jahendry12
                Participant

Sorry you are going through all of this, but isn't it funny how you 'just keep going?'  You don't stop, you just keep moving forward which is great.  Good for your mind as well as your family.

As far as the flu shot, maybe ask if he could get one at the hospital after his surgery.  When my husband had thoracic surgery in November, they gave him a flu & pnuemonia shot before he left the hospital. 

I had Influenza A last year (it was horrible) and I lived in the basement for 3 days :).  My son would come down & visit me with a mask on.

Julie

Jahendry12
                  Participant

Julie

UrsulaZ
                    Participant

Snow, fevers, small bowel resections and unexpected bills? For goodness' sake! 

I don't know about the flu shot — but I think it's wise to go to the pediatrician with your 4 y.o. (careful on the roads!). I have a four-year-old too, and I can just imagine the scene. 

Hang in there. We're rooting for your family. Having the laundry done is not trivial — though by the time of writing, I'm sure it's not done anymore ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Ursula 

UrsulaZ
                      Participant

I don't know about the flu shot — but I think it's wise to go to the pediatrician with your 4 y.o. (careful on the roads!). I have a four-year-old too, and I can just imagine the scene. 

Hang in there. We're rooting for your family. Having the laundry done is not trivial — though by the time of writing, I'm sure it's not done anymore ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Ursula 

UrsulaZ
                        Participant

-Ursula 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics