The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When do you say something?

Forums General Melanoma Community When do you say something?

Participant
      Hello All

I am a stage 3B patient since 2004 and have been OK since surgery, radiation, clinical trial, and my various supplements.

Today we went to the local supermarket and the woman at the register had some very prominent lesions that looked to be suspicious to me on her right arm. That is where my melanoma started out back in 1999 as stage 1A

I declined to say anything to her but in the parking lot, I mentioned to another employee that maybe someone there could mention to her to get it checked out., adding that hopefully they were just birth marks.

Of course, it is folly to determine by a non professional eye what a lesion really is, but sometimes if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it could very well be a duck.

Not sure if I made a bad move here, but I would be more upset with myself if I remained silent

Thanks

Mike

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant
          Mike – in my opinion you made the right move. My only suggestion is next time tell her yourself. Let her know about the surgeries, radiation and treatments that you’ve had. Let her question you and then the rest is up to her.
          guynamedbilly
          Participant
            I think its good to tell about something like that. It’s up to them whether they accept the advice or not. If I had someone that had experienced melanoma before I was diagnosed warn me to get checked out, it would have at least made me think about it.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics