The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When did you get your first pet/ct scans?

Forums General Melanoma Community When did you get your first pet/ct scans?

Participant

I am 4 weeks post initial diagnosis, and 3 weeks post WLE and SLNB. Pathology identified micrometastases in two nodes. Can anyone else in a similar situation tell me how long their oncologist waited to do PET or CT scans?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        5dives
        Participant

Hi Emcjones,

First of all, I'm 45 years old and I'm being treated in Chicago. I was diagnosed on June 10, SLNB / WLE on July 10, micrometastases found in one node after kind of a long process (in my opinion) with a second opinion. Had my PET / CT on September 16 in preparation for a third opinion (path results really weird) at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. 

PET / CT was completely clean (woot!) and the Sloan-Kettering doc confirmed the micrometastases in the one node. I am now stage 3a and have been told I'll be followed with scans every six months. Unclear what kind of scans I'll be having until I see my med. onc. next. The MSK doc said he'd rather not see me have my brain scanned "too frequently" as melanoma rarely goes to the brain without also going somewhere else first. 

He strongly recommended no node dissection and no interferon. 

I'd be very interested in hearing what your next steps are, since our situations seem pretty similar. 

Best, 

Elaine

Emcjones1
            Participant

Elaine-

I read all the posted answer. It is interesting the amount of information and course of treatments. I will have my second opinion visit on the 31st, the primary doesn't want to scans until after I am completely healed from surgery so the the "ground state" scans are not obscured by inflammation, which makes sense. 8 weeks seems about right. 

My micrometastases were, isolated tumor cells, how big were yours?

Genie

Emcjones1
              Participant

Elaine-

I read all the posted answer. It is interesting the amount of information and course of treatments. I will have my second opinion visit on the 31st, the primary doesn't want to scans until after I am completely healed from surgery so the the "ground state" scans are not obscured by inflammation, which makes sense. 8 weeks seems about right. 

Genie

Emcjones1
                Participant

Elaine-

Genie

5dives
                Participant

Hi Emcjones,

First of all, I'm 45 years old and I'm being treated in Chicago. I was diagnosed on June 10, SLNB / WLE on July 10, micrometastases found in one node after kind of a long process (in my opinion) with a second opinion. Had my PET / CT on September 16 in preparation for a third opinion (path results really weird) at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. 

PET / CT was completely clean (woot!) and the Sloan-Kettering doc confirmed the micrometastases in the one node. I am now stage 3a and have been told I'll be followed with scans every six months. Unclear what kind of scans I'll be having until I see my med. onc. next. The MSK doc said he'd rather not see me have my brain scanned "too frequently" as melanoma rarely goes to the brain without also going somewhere else first. 

I'd be very interested in hearing what your next steps are, since our situations seem pretty similar. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                  Participant

Hi Emcjones,

Best, 

Elaine

ed williams
                    Participant

Hi Emcjones1, I was doing some research last week when I came across a web site called Onclive. It has a great series on Melanoma made this year. There are 12 different  episodes with the same panel of surgeons and oncology dr. The topic of when to scan and how often came up in episode 9. I watched all the episodes from the start and it is an excellent series. Look up Onclive then on the left, under cancer topics pick Melanoma, then choose the video titled Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in advanced Melanoma ( guy in bow tie is Jeffrey Weber from Moffitt. Once you pick this video scroll down and you will see the 12 episodes. I hope this will help you in your search for some answers. The panel all have different opinions on the topic of when and how often to scan. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

Emcjones1
                        Participant

Thanks Ed I will look these up.

Genie

Emcjones1
                          Participant

Genie

Emcjones1
                            Participant

Genie

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Emcjones1, I was doing some research last week when I came across a web site called Onclive. It has a great series on Melanoma made this year. There are 12 different  episodes with the same panel of surgeons and oncology dr. The topic of when to scan and how often came up in episode 9. I watched all the episodes from the start and it is an excellent series. Look up Onclive then on the left, under cancer topics pick Melanoma, then choose the video titled Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in advanced Melanoma ( guy in bow tie is Jeffrey Weber from Moffitt. Once you pick this video scroll down and you will see the 12 episodes. I hope this will help you in your search for some answers. The panel all have different opinions on the topic of when and how often to scan. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

Barbarak
                                Participant

I had a brain CT and PET scan within 2 weeks of my initial surgery

Barbarak
                                  Participant

Marianne quinn
                                      Participant

My husband Had his scans very soon after his snb

Marianne quinn
                                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                                          Participant

Barbarak
                                          Participant

JustMeInCA
                                            Participant

My dad had a WLE, and the path report a week or so later showed nodular melanoma with a depth of 20 mm. They had him in for a PET/CT in less than a week. 

JustMeInCA
                                              Participant

My dad had a WLE, and the path report a week or so later showed nodular melanoma with a depth of 20 mm. They had him in for a PET/CT in less than a week. 

JustMeInCA
                                                Participant

SABKLYN
                                                  Participant

i had my SNB in November of 2011.  After finding micro mets and deciding I wanted to be treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering, I consulted with Doctors the following January and my PET scan there as well

SABKLYN
                                                    Participant

i had my SNB in November of 2011.  After finding micro mets and deciding I wanted to be treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering, I consulted with Doctors the following January and my PET scan there as well

5dives
                                                        Participant

Hi sabklyn,

What treatment (or no treatment) did your Sloan-Kettering doctors recommend? Did you have a node dissection? My MSK doc told me MSK is an "anti-interferon" institution, so I'm guessing you didn't go that route? Is that right?

Thanks!

Elaine

5dives
                                                          Participant

Hi sabklyn,

What treatment (or no treatment) did your Sloan-Kettering doctors recommend? Did you have a node dissection? My MSK doc told me MSK is an "anti-interferon" institution, so I'm guessing you didn't go that route? Is that right?

Thanks!

Elaine

5dives
                                                            Participant

Hi sabklyn,

Thanks!

Elaine

SABKLYN
                                                            Participant

SABKLYN
                                                              Participant

Hi Elaine,

You're right.  My doctors (surgeon and oncologist) both thought, based on the data that it would be of limited value.  Instead I was offered to participate in a study which would monitor me via ultra-sound as an option to the CLND.  I decided the surgery was abetted option for means had the procedure in February of 2012.  Other than that, I participated in a clinical study at Memorial and since have had regular visits (first every 3 months, now every 6) to monitor, scan, etc.  hope that helps!

SABKLYN
                                                                Participant

Hi Elaine,

You're right.  My doctors (surgeon and oncologist) both thought, based on the data that it would be of limited value.  Instead I was offered to participate in a study which would monitor me via ultra-sound as an option to the CLND.  I decided the surgery was abetted option for means had the procedure in February of 2012.  Other than that, I participated in a clinical study at Memorial and since have had regular visits (first every 3 months, now every 6) to monitor, scan, etc.  hope that helps!

5dives
                                                                    Participant

Hi Sabklyn,

It does help! It's reassuring when the answers somebody on the board has received matches the answers I've gotten. Sure do wish I could be monitored by ultrasound. 

All the best to you,

Elaine

5dives
                                                                      Participant

Hi Sabklyn,

It does help! It's reassuring when the answers somebody on the board has received matches the answers I've gotten. Sure do wish I could be monitored by ultrasound. 

All the best to you,

Elaine

5dives
                                                                        Participant

Hi Sabklyn,

All the best to you,

Elaine

Happy_girl
                                                                          Participant

I thought I would share too, Elaine.  I had a similar situation- micromet in 1 node.  I went to msk for a second opinion.  They also suggested no clnd and no interferon.  I did still do the clnd but am not doing interferon.  I hope all goes we with you! 

Happy_girl
                                                                            Participant

I thought I would share too, Elaine.  I had a similar situation- micromet in 1 node.  I went to msk for a second opinion.  They also suggested no clnd and no interferon.  I did still do the clnd but am not doing interferon.  I hope all goes we with you! 

5dives
                                                                              Participant

Hi Happy_girl,

Thanks for sharing. What made you decide to do the node dissection? Have you had lymphedema? Did your CLND happen to be a groin dissection? 

The MSK doc basically said that I shouldn't do the CLND. His reasoning was that there is a study (recently concluded, but no results yet) that followed CLND / no CLND patients to gauge survival. He said that no doctor could ethically place a patient in the "no CLND" arm of such a trial, if the CLND was known to improve survival. He told me that he could not promise me that there is no melanoma in my node basin at the current moment, but that at my age (45, 3 kids, full-time job) he thought I needed to keep my nodes. I have really struggled with this. 

I'd love to hear what led you to do it. 

Thanks,

Elaine

Happy_girl
                                                                                Participant

My clnd was not groin- it was left armpit.  I understand the toughness of thi decision!  It's hard and scary.  I heard the same things you did.   I pretty much decided that being 31 with a 9 month old baby teaching 3rd graders- I still wanted to get it.  I'm not good with letting things go…. So the "what if" would have been a horrible mental game.  I know I would have been constantly worried.  

Thankfully the surgey went well- no complications or lymphodema- and they are predicting it won't happen since it hasn't already.

hope this is helpful.  Sometimes it's just comforting to know there are others in a similar situation- even if it's melanom ๐Ÿ™‚

5dives
                                                                                  Participant

Happy_girl, 

Thanks so much. I agree, it's an incredibly tough decision. I feel a fair amount of pressure from those around me to "do something", but all of my docs have recommended that for me in my situation, both the CLND and interferon would appear to be overkill. It's hard to decide because I do not want to have regrets. My husband is supportive of taking a "wait and see" approach, but sometimes I'm afraid it's because he doesn't fully understand the seriousness of melanoma. He's sort of distrustful of doctors, etc. and I have a tendency to throw babies out with bathwater, so…between the two of us it's hard to make a rational decision. 

I'm seeing my surgical oncologist again on November 6th, so I am going to lay the whole thing out with him and see what he says about CLND. 

I appreciate your input. 

Best, 

Elaine

ed williams
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Elaine.I have just one thought about doing the CLND and that is the future and the role lymph node play with your bodies immune response. I had both my arm done and I still progressed and I am currently on Nivo or Ipi or the two (double blind trial). I must say that my present understanding of what the new drugs do and the value of my lymph node would have been valueable back in 2012 when I was facing the decision to leave them in or take them out. Do the research and be informed before going forward. Best of luck!!!! Ed

5dives
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you for that, Ed. It seems that many people in my life have no understanding what lymph nodes do, so they are quick to say "yank them out!" The decision is actually far less obvious than that. 

I'm still leaning toward keeping my nodes, but I'm considering all input.

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                                                        Participant

Thank you for that, Ed. It seems that many people in my life have no understanding what lymph nodes do, so they are quick to say "yank them out!" The decision is actually far less obvious than that. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                                                          Participant

Best, 

Elaine

ed williams
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine.I have just one thought about doing the CLND and that is the future and the role lymph node play with your bodies immune response. I had both my arm done and I still progressed and I am currently on Nivo or Ipi or the two (double blind trial). I must say that my present understanding of what the new drugs do and the value of my lymph node would have been valueable back in 2012 when I was facing the decision to leave them in or take them out. Do the research and be informed before going forward. Best of luck!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                                              Participant

5dives
                                                                                                Participant

Happy_girl, 

Thanks so much. I agree, it's an incredibly tough decision. I feel a fair amount of pressure from those around me to "do something", but all of my docs have recommended that for me in my situation, both the CLND and interferon would appear to be overkill. It's hard to decide because I do not want to have regrets. My husband is supportive of taking a "wait and see" approach, but sometimes I'm afraid it's because he doesn't fully understand the seriousness of melanoma. He's sort of distrustful of doctors, etc. and I have a tendency to throw babies out with bathwater, so…between the two of us it's hard to make a rational decision. 

I'm seeing my surgical oncologist again on November 6th, so I am going to lay the whole thing out with him and see what he says about CLND. 

I appreciate your input. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                                                                  Participant

Happy_girl, 

I appreciate your input. 

Best, 

Elaine

Happy_girl
                                                                                                    Participant

My clnd was not groin- it was left armpit.  I understand the toughness of thi decision!  It's hard and scary.  I heard the same things you did.   I pretty much decided that being 31 with a 9 month old baby teaching 3rd graders- I still wanted to get it.  I'm not good with letting things go…. So the "what if" would have been a horrible mental game.  I know I would have been constantly worried.  

Thankfully the surgey went well- no complications or lymphodema- and they are predicting it won't happen since it hasn't already.

hope this is helpful.  Sometimes it's just comforting to know there are others in a similar situation- even if it's melanom ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy_girl
                                                                                                      Participant

5dives
                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Happy_girl,

Thanks for sharing. What made you decide to do the node dissection? Have you had lymphedema? Did your CLND happen to be a groin dissection? 

The MSK doc basically said that I shouldn't do the CLND. His reasoning was that there is a study (recently concluded, but no results yet) that followed CLND / no CLND patients to gauge survival. He said that no doctor could ethically place a patient in the "no CLND" arm of such a trial, if the CLND was known to improve survival. He told me that he could not promise me that there is no melanoma in my node basin at the current moment, but that at my age (45, 3 kids, full-time job) he thought I needed to keep my nodes. I have really struggled with this. 

Thanks,

Elaine

5dives
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Happy_girl,

Thanks,

Elaine

Happy_girl
                                                                                                            Participant

SABKLYN
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine,

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics