The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What’s the latest on BRAF and Ipi?

Forums General Melanoma Community What’s the latest on BRAF and Ipi?

Participant

I have taken a break from visting the board for a while and just wondering what the latest is on BRAF and Ipi? I remember BRAF was showing measurable tumor shrinkage but it only lasts for about 6-9 months and then there is agressive tumor regrowth. Has anyone had a durable response?

And I heard Ipi might get FDA approval but only for stage 4 patients. Is that still true? Has anyone had a durable response from Ipi?

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

Tracy, 3B, NED

I have taken a break from visting the board for a while and just wondering what the latest is on BRAF and Ipi? I remember BRAF was showing measurable tumor shrinkage but it only lasts for about 6-9 months and then there is agressive tumor regrowth. Has anyone had a durable response?

And I heard Ipi might get FDA approval but only for stage 4 patients. Is that still true? Has anyone had a durable response from Ipi?

Thanks and best wishes to everyone!

Tracy, 3B, NED

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Hi everyone

I too had heard that the FDA would approve IPI but I did not know the approval was for only stage 4.

Can someone confirm that it is only for stage 4? What happens to stage 3 people, will they still be able to get IPI compassionate use?

I appreciate all the info from this board. Thank you

killmel
          Participant

Hi everyone

I too had heard that the FDA would approve IPI but I did not know the approval was for only stage 4.

Can someone confirm that it is only for stage 4? What happens to stage 3 people, will they still be able to get IPI compassionate use?

I appreciate all the info from this board. Thank you

Jim in Denver
            Participant

Hi Tracy,

You seem to want a short summary, so here goes.  The targted treatment, like the BRAF and MEK inhibitors, block genetic based pathways to stop the spread of mel.  They also seem to greatly reduce tumor burden, with durability of response being a significant issue.  It is theorized that icombinations of these therapies that block multiple patheways simultaneously might offet more sustained results since mel seems to be able to eventually get around any one blocekd pathway.  Tests are also underway to combine tagteted treatments with sustemic treatments (i.e. BRAF Inhibitor with ipilimumab) to improve results.  The targeted therapies are still a promising area in research, and offer many patients positive results.

Ipilimumab (aka MDX 101 and Yervoy) will likely be approved by FDA in the first half of 2011, maybe by April.  Responses vary and so does the sustainability of response.  Responders comprise somewhat less than half of patients receiving Ipi (including partial responders).  Data regarding durability are difficult to obtain and interpet, becuase so little study data has been released publicly, and sample sizes are small of those that have been released.  It is theorized that Ipi might be more effective in Stage III patients than Stage IV, and generalizing from the Stage IV population that has received the treatment to date (1000 plus) has pitfalls.  Obviously, the thinking would be that if it works pretty well for Stage IV patients  that it might work at least as well, if not more so, in Stage III patients. Inititially, FDA will likely approve Ipi for only Stage IV patients, but eventually Satge III patients will have to be given access as well. There is one ongiong Phase III study involving Stage III patients right now, which will influence the regulatory outcome as well.

The systemic treatments (Ipi primarily) seem to be the more effective and durable treatments available currently.  There are more systemic treaments in the research pipeline ("Anti PD1" treatments like MDX 1106 and 1105) that work in similar ways to Ipi by helping the immune system recognize and attack the mel.  Treatments that attack mel directly or try to block it from spreading seem to offer less complete an/or durable responses.  There is another line of early research that seeks to identify mel "stem cells" which are factors in disease recurrance, which is a significant issue in melanoma treatment, as you may know.

Apologies to board members if I have misstated or mischaracterized anything.  Others may add better information, but this is only an attempt to do a quick and dirty summary about current research, which is what is being requested by Tracy and the ever popular and omnipresent "Anonymous".

Best holiday wishes to all MPIP posters and readers for the holiday season and 2011..  Thank you for helping me when I have needed it – I am trying to give back a little of what I have received. 

Regards,

Jim

killmel
                Participant

Jim

You are truly articulate and can explain things so clearly and distinctly.

You mentioned: " Obviously, the thinking would be that if it works pretty well for Stage IV patients  that it might work at least as well, if not more so, in Stage III patients. Inititially, FDA will likely approve Ipi for only Stage IV patients, but eventually Satge III patients will have to be given access as well! . There is one ongiong Phase III study involving Stage III patients right now, which will influence the regulatory outcome as well."

I tried to find the Phase III study for Stage III patients on clinicaltrials. gov and could not find it.

Would anyone  know the NCT number for this Phase 3 trial. My wife is a stage III and I would like to read about this Phase 3 ipi trial for stage 3.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain IPI & Braf status.

Douglas (wife Julie)

killmel
                  Participant

Here you go Douglas:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00636168

Efficacy Study of Ipilimumab Versus Placebo to Prevent Recurrence After Complete Resection of High Risk Stage III Melanoma

killmel
                    Participant

Here you go Douglas:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00636168

Efficacy Study of Ipilimumab Versus Placebo to Prevent Recurrence After Complete Resection of High Risk Stage III Melanoma

killmel
                      Participant

Jim

You are truly articulate and can explain things so clearly and distinctly.

You mentioned: " Obviously, the thinking would be that if it works pretty well for Stage IV patients  that it might work at least as well, if not more so, in Stage III patients. Inititially, FDA will likely approve Ipi for only Stage IV patients, but eventually Satge III patients will have to be given access as well! . There is one ongiong Phase III study involving Stage III patients right now, which will influence the regulatory outcome as well."

I tried to find the Phase III study for Stage III patients on clinicaltrials. gov and could not find it.

Would anyone  know the NCT number for this Phase 3 trial. My wife is a stage III and I would like to read about this Phase 3 ipi trial for stage 3.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain IPI & Braf status.

Douglas (wife Julie)

Jim in Denver
                      Participant

Hi Tracy,

You seem to want a short summary, so here goes.  The targted treatment, like the BRAF and MEK inhibitors, block genetic based pathways to stop the spread of mel.  They also seem to greatly reduce tumor burden, with durability of response being a significant issue.  It is theorized that icombinations of these therapies that block multiple patheways simultaneously might offet more sustained results since mel seems to be able to eventually get around any one blocekd pathway.  Tests are also underway to combine tagteted treatments with sustemic treatments (i.e. BRAF Inhibitor with ipilimumab) to improve results.  The targeted therapies are still a promising area in research, and offer many patients positive results.

Ipilimumab (aka MDX 101 and Yervoy) will likely be approved by FDA in the first half of 2011, maybe by April.  Responses vary and so does the sustainability of response.  Responders comprise somewhat less than half of patients receiving Ipi (including partial responders).  Data regarding durability are difficult to obtain and interpet, becuase so little study data has been released publicly, and sample sizes are small of those that have been released.  It is theorized that Ipi might be more effective in Stage III patients than Stage IV, and generalizing from the Stage IV population that has received the treatment to date (1000 plus) has pitfalls.  Obviously, the thinking would be that if it works pretty well for Stage IV patients  that it might work at least as well, if not more so, in Stage III patients. Inititially, FDA will likely approve Ipi for only Stage IV patients, but eventually Satge III patients will have to be given access as well. There is one ongiong Phase III study involving Stage III patients right now, which will influence the regulatory outcome as well.

The systemic treatments (Ipi primarily) seem to be the more effective and durable treatments available currently.  There are more systemic treaments in the research pipeline ("Anti PD1" treatments like MDX 1106 and 1105) that work in similar ways to Ipi by helping the immune system recognize and attack the mel.  Treatments that attack mel directly or try to block it from spreading seem to offer less complete an/or durable responses.  There is another line of early research that seeks to identify mel "stem cells" which are factors in disease recurrance, which is a significant issue in melanoma treatment, as you may know.

Apologies to board members if I have misstated or mischaracterized anything.  Others may add better information, but this is only an attempt to do a quick and dirty summary about current research, which is what is being requested by Tracy and the ever popular and omnipresent "Anonymous".

Best holiday wishes to all MPIP posters and readers for the holiday season and 2011..  Thank you for helping me when I have needed it – I am trying to give back a little of what I have received. 

Regards,

Jim

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics