The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What’s after Zelboraf – Trials for BRAF positive?

Forums General Melanoma Community What’s after Zelboraf – Trials for BRAF positive?

Participant

So my husband's run with Z is over.  8 weeks ago scans showed NED…now has some progression.  We are waiting on an MRI to see if there is any brain involvement, but melanoma doc said MEK/BRAF combo doesn't usually have good results after progression on Zelboraf.  Also, he's already tried Ipi.  So what's next?  Anyone know of any good/promising trials for BRAF folks?  Trying to get our game plan on and form a plan D.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

What was your husband's experience with ipi? When did he get it? Did it work for him? How were the side effects? I'm asking because I think his experience with ipi is an important factor in your next decision.

POW
          Participant

What was your husband's experience with ipi? When did he get it? Did it work for him? How were the side effects? I'm asking because I think his experience with ipi is an important factor in your next decision.

joy_
              Participant

Thanks for your response!  Long story short, and his is the really the short version!  🙂 He received 3 infusions of ipi at 10mg/kg as part of a trial last spring.  Shortly after infusion #3 he developed lower back pain and then paralysis of legs.  Initially his docs said MRI showed leptomeningeal disease but now think it was nerve inflammation/demyleation as a result of ipi or some underlying disease (that has never been determined) which was unmasked by ipi.  Other than that, he had no colitis, skin issues, etc..

We consulted with Dr. Weber at Moffit and he thought leptomeningeal disease was more likely, but my husband still remains an international man of medical mystery.  At the time, Dr. Weber said stay on Zelboraf as long as it is working then look at another BRAF trial or PD1.  I don't think they are taking new patients for PD1 but think my husband would be excluded due to his "ipi incident."

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

POW
                Participant

Well, my first thought was that if your husband had responded well to ipi, perhaps following up with IL-2 might enhance that good response. However, since your husband had a bad experience with ipi– even life threatening– I would be cautious about IL-2 or even anti-PD1. My guess is that is the reason that Dr. Weber recommended sticking with the BRAF drugs. 

Tim Turnham, the executive director of MRF and one of our members, Kylez, recently attended a melanoma medical conference. See this thread: http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/some-treatment-option-updates#comment-72466

One of the speakers said that Tafinlar + MEK can work after progressing on Zelboraf. The combo works in BRAF naive patients better than it works in Zelboraf treated patients, but it can work. Hopefully, Kyle will be able to provide you with more information.

Other than that, Mat's suggestions that you contact Catherine Poole at the Melanoma International Foundation about clinical trials or that you consider antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) are good suggestions. However, you will probably need to get the results of your husband's brain MRI before you can seriously consider clinicial trials; most of them exclude patients with brain mets. You might also look into targeted therapies directed towards other mutations like NRAS and c-KIT. 

Don't give up! Keep fighting! There are so many promising treatments now that you never know which one will be the right one for you. Let us know how the brain MRI comes out and what the lastest opinion is about your husband's possible leptomeningeal disease. 

POW
                  Participant

Well, my first thought was that if your husband had responded well to ipi, perhaps following up with IL-2 might enhance that good response. However, since your husband had a bad experience with ipi– even life threatening– I would be cautious about IL-2 or even anti-PD1. My guess is that is the reason that Dr. Weber recommended sticking with the BRAF drugs. 

Tim Turnham, the executive director of MRF and one of our members, Kylez, recently attended a melanoma medical conference. See this thread: http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/some-treatment-option-updates#comment-72466

One of the speakers said that Tafinlar + MEK can work after progressing on Zelboraf. The combo works in BRAF naive patients better than it works in Zelboraf treated patients, but it can work. Hopefully, Kyle will be able to provide you with more information.

Other than that, Mat's suggestions that you contact Catherine Poole at the Melanoma International Foundation about clinical trials or that you consider antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) are good suggestions. However, you will probably need to get the results of your husband's brain MRI before you can seriously consider clinicial trials; most of them exclude patients with brain mets. You might also look into targeted therapies directed towards other mutations like NRAS and c-KIT. 

Don't give up! Keep fighting! There are so many promising treatments now that you never know which one will be the right one for you. Let us know how the brain MRI comes out and what the lastest opinion is about your husband's possible leptomeningeal disease. 

POW
                    Participant

kylez
                      Participant

Joy, my recollection of what Dr. Weber said is, I believe, in line with what your melanoma doc said. It's not what POW is suggesting. My memory of what was said is — that the earlier one starts BRAF (he used term generically) +MEK together the better. Starting them simultaneously being the best. Whereas the more time one is on the single BRAF agent, the less benefit adding MEK will have (on average), as the point is to block 2 pathways simultaneously making the resistance hurdle hard to overcome. 

POW, I had replied to someone on another forum about MEK+BRAF — maybe that is where you got that idea — but I went back later and saw the person in question had already had developed resistance to Z, making my comment about adding MEK+BRAF almost certainly (and unfortunately) irrelevant.

kylez
                        Participant

Joy, my recollection of what Dr. Weber said is, I believe, in line with what your melanoma doc said. It's not what POW is suggesting. My memory of what was said is — that the earlier one starts BRAF (he used term generically) +MEK together the better. Starting them simultaneously being the best. Whereas the more time one is on the single BRAF agent, the less benefit adding MEK will have (on average), as the point is to block 2 pathways simultaneously making the resistance hurdle hard to overcome. 

POW, I had replied to someone on another forum about MEK+BRAF — maybe that is where you got that idea — but I went back later and saw the person in question had already had developed resistance to Z, making my comment about adding MEK+BRAF almost certainly (and unfortunately) irrelevant.

kylez
                          Participant

POW
                            Participant

Kyle, thank you for clarifying some of what you learned at the recent melanoma meeting. What you reported makes sense– it is better to start with a BRAF+Mek combo than with a BRAF inhibitor alone. I think there is compelling evidence to support that.

My question– actually a question a lot of patients here have– is if you have already progressed on a BRAF (usually Zelboraf) monotherapy will it do any good to start on Tafinlar + Mekinist? I can't seem to find any published reports about that. 

In Tim Turnham's report on the same meeting he said, "Data now shows that people who have progressed on BRAF monotherapy do not perform as well on the combination as do people who have not had prior BRAF therapy.  This suggests it is better to start with the combination." [emphasis mine] I interpreted this to mean that people who had prior BRAF monotherapy can benefit from the combination, but not as many of them benefit. Perhaps I misinterpreted what Tim said. Can you shed any additional light on the advisability of trying Tafinlar + Mekinist after progressing on Zelboraf?

POW
                              Participant

Kyle, thank you for clarifying some of what you learned at the recent melanoma meeting. What you reported makes sense– it is better to start with a BRAF+Mek combo than with a BRAF inhibitor alone. I think there is compelling evidence to support that.

My question– actually a question a lot of patients here have– is if you have already progressed on a BRAF (usually Zelboraf) monotherapy will it do any good to start on Tafinlar + Mekinist? I can't seem to find any published reports about that. 

In Tim Turnham's report on the same meeting he said, "Data now shows that people who have progressed on BRAF monotherapy do not perform as well on the combination as do people who have not had prior BRAF therapy.  This suggests it is better to start with the combination." [emphasis mine] I interpreted this to mean that people who had prior BRAF monotherapy can benefit from the combination, but not as many of them benefit. Perhaps I misinterpreted what Tim said. Can you shed any additional light on the advisability of trying Tafinlar + Mekinist after progressing on Zelboraf?

kylez
                                Participant

My black and white takeaway from that talk was that if one is about to start on BRAF therapy, then it would be better to do the BRAF/MEK combo rather than BRAF alone.

As far as any other situation, the best answer is probably to talk one's oncologist.

kylez
                                  Participant

My black and white takeaway from that talk was that if one is about to start on BRAF therapy, then it would be better to do the BRAF/MEK combo rather than BRAF alone.

As far as any other situation, the best answer is probably to talk one's oncologist.

kylez
                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

I have read several articles (before the last symposium) that said what POW interpreted from the wording used.  I remember one article that actually gave some breakout of statistics.  It was definately a lower % that benefited, but showed it is still worth a try, if one benefited from the Zel to try the other combo without the Zel.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

I have read several articles (before the last symposium) that said what POW interpreted from the wording used.  I remember one article that actually gave some breakout of statistics.  It was definately a lower % that benefited, but showed it is still worth a try, if one benefited from the Zel to try the other combo without the Zel.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Brent Morris
                                            Participant

POW    Here is the reference you cant find. The response rate for the combo of dabrafenir + mekinist after progression on another braf inhibitor is 19%. Flaherty K, Infante JR, Falchook GS, et al. Phase I/II expansion cohort of BRAF inhibitor GSK2118436 + MEK inhibitor GSK1120212 in patients with BRAF mutant metastatic melanoma who progressed on a prior BRAF inhibitor [abstract] Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24(1022):Abstract LBA1021–1024.

POW
                                              Participant

Thanks, Brent. That helped, as did the paragraph you posted here a couple of days ago (see below) that said that 19% of patients who progressed on BRAF monotherapy responded to BRAF+MEK combo therapy.

I think that the question about whether or not the combo will work for those who progressed on BRAF monotherapy is very, very important for patients and their doctors who are trying to make treatment decisions. For that reason, I just spent a couple of hours trying to track down the original articles that discuss this. As I expected, it is really, really hard to find them, but here is what I found:

1. The paragraph that Brent and I and others have seen citing 19% response rate is from a review article published in 2012. You can read it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523565/#b107-dddt-6-391 This review article cites Flaherty et al 2011 for the info (the same citation Brent gave above). That citation is incorrect– such an abstract does not exist.

2. Flaherty et al did publish an abstract in 2011 about the combo in BRAF resistant patients. It is here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-148X.2011.00909.x/pdf  It was a very preliminary study of 18 BRAF resistant patients. The data looked promising– 67% of these patients showed partial responses or stable disease but they didn't say how long these patients were followed.

3. Two years later, at the 2013 ASCO meeting, these same authors published on the same topic but this time with more patients and followed for at least 1 year. You can view that here: http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/112346-132  It's a rather confusing report, but the bottom line is that 63%-76% of BRAF naive patients responded to the combo and 9%-15% of BRAF resistant patients responded to the combo.  

4. I found one other report out of Australia that talked about patients who had progressed on BRAF monotherapy here: http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Abstract/publishahead/A_single_centre_experience_of_patients_with.99676.aspx Unfortunately, the abstract does not say what happened to the BRAF resistant patients and I have not been able to access the full report. These authors were primarily studying patients with brain mets. They found that 31% of patients responded to the combo, but the benefit only lasted 4-5 months. Again, these results lumped BRAF naive and BRAF resistant together.

I'm sure that this is more information than most of you need or want– I just got stubborn about trying to find an answer to my question. I included these links so that you can all read them and form your own conclusion. The bottom line for me is: 1) I can see why most melanoma oncologists now recommend starting right off with a combination of BRAF+MEK rather than a BRAF inhibitor alone, and 2) if one has progressed on BRAF monotherapy, a BRAF+ MEK combo might work, but the odds of it working are only 10% to 15%. Oh, and 3) BRAF + MEK does work on brain mets sometimes. 

POW
                                                Participant

Thanks, Brent. That helped, as did the paragraph you posted here a couple of days ago (see below) that said that 19% of patients who progressed on BRAF monotherapy responded to BRAF+MEK combo therapy.

I think that the question about whether or not the combo will work for those who progressed on BRAF monotherapy is very, very important for patients and their doctors who are trying to make treatment decisions. For that reason, I just spent a couple of hours trying to track down the original articles that discuss this. As I expected, it is really, really hard to find them, but here is what I found:

1. The paragraph that Brent and I and others have seen citing 19% response rate is from a review article published in 2012. You can read it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3523565/#b107-dddt-6-391 This review article cites Flaherty et al 2011 for the info (the same citation Brent gave above). That citation is incorrect– such an abstract does not exist.

2. Flaherty et al did publish an abstract in 2011 about the combo in BRAF resistant patients. It is here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-148X.2011.00909.x/pdf  It was a very preliminary study of 18 BRAF resistant patients. The data looked promising– 67% of these patients showed partial responses or stable disease but they didn't say how long these patients were followed.

3. Two years later, at the 2013 ASCO meeting, these same authors published on the same topic but this time with more patients and followed for at least 1 year. You can view that here: http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/112346-132  It's a rather confusing report, but the bottom line is that 63%-76% of BRAF naive patients responded to the combo and 9%-15% of BRAF resistant patients responded to the combo.  

4. I found one other report out of Australia that talked about patients who had progressed on BRAF monotherapy here: http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Abstract/publishahead/A_single_centre_experience_of_patients_with.99676.aspx Unfortunately, the abstract does not say what happened to the BRAF resistant patients and I have not been able to access the full report. These authors were primarily studying patients with brain mets. They found that 31% of patients responded to the combo, but the benefit only lasted 4-5 months. Again, these results lumped BRAF naive and BRAF resistant together.

I'm sure that this is more information than most of you need or want– I just got stubborn about trying to find an answer to my question. I included these links so that you can all read them and form your own conclusion. The bottom line for me is: 1) I can see why most melanoma oncologists now recommend starting right off with a combination of BRAF+MEK rather than a BRAF inhibitor alone, and 2) if one has progressed on BRAF monotherapy, a BRAF+ MEK combo might work, but the odds of it working are only 10% to 15%. Oh, and 3) BRAF + MEK does work on brain mets sometimes. 

POW
                                                  Participant

Brent Morris
                                                    Participant

POW    Here is the reference you cant find. The response rate for the combo of dabrafenir + mekinist after progression on another braf inhibitor is 19%. Flaherty K, Infante JR, Falchook GS, et al. Phase I/II expansion cohort of BRAF inhibitor GSK2118436 + MEK inhibitor GSK1120212 in patients with BRAF mutant metastatic melanoma who progressed on a prior BRAF inhibitor [abstract] Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24(1022):Abstract LBA1021–1024.

Brent Morris
                                                      Participant

POW
                                                        Participant

joy_
                                                          Participant

Thanks for your response!  Long story short, and his is the really the short version!  🙂 He received 3 infusions of ipi at 10mg/kg as part of a trial last spring.  Shortly after infusion #3 he developed lower back pain and then paralysis of legs.  Initially his docs said MRI showed leptomeningeal disease but now think it was nerve inflammation/demyleation as a result of ipi or some underlying disease (that has never been determined) which was unmasked by ipi.  Other than that, he had no colitis, skin issues, etc..

We consulted with Dr. Weber at Moffit and he thought leptomeningeal disease was more likely, but my husband still remains an international man of medical mystery.  At the time, Dr. Weber said stay on Zelboraf as long as it is working then look at another BRAF trial or PD1.  I don't think they are taking new patients for PD1 but think my husband would be excluded due to his "ipi incident."

joy_
                                                            Participant

POW
                                                            Participant

Mat
                                                              Participant

Consider contacting Catherine Poole at Melanoma International Foundation.  She seems to be up on the latest trials.  The ones folks seem to talk about are Anti-PDL and ADC.

Mat
                                                                Participant

Consider contacting Catherine Poole at Melanoma International Foundation.  She seems to be up on the latest trials.  The ones folks seem to talk about are Anti-PDL and ADC.

Mat
                                                                  Participant

Brent Morris
                                                                    Participant

Dear Joy,

Here is some information you may find helpful.

1) This an excerpt from a review of the combination of dabrafenib and mekinist.

Combination dabrafenib and trametinib

An effective strategy to build upon the successes seen with dabrafenib and trametinib monotherapies has been to combine these agents (CombiDT), with the goal of further improving response rates and delaying resistance. As both drugs target the MAPK pathway, combined blockade may circumvent or delay acquired resistance because of reactivation of the MAPK pathway. Combining the two drugs may also reduce the toxicities of each drug when given individually (especially cutaneous toxicity from dabrafenib).

The initial phase I/II trial involved BRAFV600E/K metastatic melanoma patients across multiple cohorts.106 These cohorts included a drug–drug interaction cohort (Part A), dose escalation and expansion cohorts (Part B), and a large randomized cohort (Part C). In Part C, patients were randomized 1:1:1 to CombiDT at a dose of dabrafenib 150 mg BID and trametinib 1 mg daily, CombiDT at a dose of dabrafenib 150 mg BID and trametinib 2 mg daily (150/2), or dabrafenib monotherapy (150 mg BID). Analysis of data from the randomized phase II (Part C) trial in BRAF/MEK inhibitor-naïve melanoma patients reported a response rate of 76% in those receiving CombiDT at the 150/2 dose, which was significantly higher than that in patients receiving dabrafenib monotherapy (54%; P = 0.026). More important, the median PFS of 9.4 months in those receiving CombiDT at the 150/2 dose was significantly longer than that in the dabrafenib monotherapy arm (5.8 months; HR, 0.39; P < 0.0001).106 These results are better than those reported in the previous phase III dabrafenib and trametinib monotherapy trials (Table 4).3,61,62,105 Additionally, in the Part B expansion cohort of patients with prior disease progression during BRAF inhibitor treatment, an impressive 19% response rate was seen with CombiDT therapy.107

As you can see the response rate in your husband's circumstance was 19%.

2) You can see a number of immunicologically caused nervous system problems in patients receiving ipi. I have attached an abstract detailing some of those including "transverse myelitis" that produces symptoms similar to your description of your husband's experience. You might ask about that in particular.

Neuro Oncol. 2014 Jan 30. [Epub ahead of print]

Atypical neurological complications of ipilimumab therapy in patients with metastatic melanoma.

Abstract

BackgroundIpilimumab is a novel FDA-approved recombinant human monoclonal antibody that blocks cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4 and has been used to treat patients with metastatic melanoma. Immune-related neurological adverse effects include inflammatory myopathy, aseptic meningitis, posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, Guillain-Barré syndrome, myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, sensorimotor neuropathy, and inflammatory enteric neuropathy. To date, there is no report for ipilimumab-induced chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), transverse myelitis (TM), or concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome. Our objective is to raise early recognition of atypical neurological adverse events and to share our therapeutic approach.MethodsWe report 3 cases of metastatic melanoma treated with ipilimumab in which the patients developed CIDP, TM, and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, respectively, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center between July 2012 and June 2013. Patients consented to release of medical information for publication/educational purposes.ResultsOur 3 cases of metastatic melanoma treated with ipilimumab developed CIDP, TM, and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, respectively. The median time to onset of immune-related adverse events following ipilimumab treatment ranged from 1 to 2 weeks. Ipilimumab was discontinued due to the severe neurological symptoms. Plasmapheresis was initiated in the patients with CIDP and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome; high-dose intravenous steroids were given to the patient with TM, and significant clinical response was demonstrated.ConclusionsIpilimumab could induce a wide spectrum of neurological adverse effects. Our findings support the standard treatment of withholding or discontinuing ipilimumab. Plasmapheresis or high-dose intravenous steroids may be considered as the initial choice of treatment for severe ipilimumab-related neurological adverse events. Improvement of neurological symptoms may be seen within 2 weeks.

3) From several personal discussions with Dr. Weber, the occurence of severe immunologic events after ipi does not preclude the use of Anti-Pd1 therapy.  I would pursue that as well.

I wish you the best           Brent Morris

Brent Morris
                                                                      Participant

Dear Joy,

An effective strategy to build upon the successes seen with dabrafenib and trametinib monotherapies has been to combine these agents (CombiDT), with the goal of further improving response rates and delaying resistance. As both drugs target the MAPK pathway, combined blockade may circumvent or delay acquired resistance because of reactivation of the MAPK pathway. Combining the two drugs may also reduce the toxicities of each drug when given individually (especially cutaneous toxicity from dabrafenib).

The initial phase I/II trial involved BRAFV600E/K metastatic melanoma patients across multiple cohorts.106 These cohorts included a drug–drug interaction cohort (Part A), dose escalation and expansion cohorts (Part B), and a large randomized cohort (Part C). In Part C, patients were randomized 1:1:1 to CombiDT at a dose of dabrafenib 150 mg BID and trametinib 1 mg daily, CombiDT at a dose of dabrafenib 150 mg BID and trametinib 2 mg daily (150/2), or dabrafenib monotherapy (150 mg BID). Analysis of data from the randomized phase II (Part C) trial in BRAF/MEK inhibitor-naïve melanoma patients reported a response rate of 76% in those receiving CombiDT at the 150/2 dose, which was significantly higher than that in patients receiving dabrafenib monotherapy (54%; P = 0.026). More important, the median PFS of 9.4 months in those receiving CombiDT at the 150/2 dose was significantly longer than that in the dabrafenib monotherapy arm (5.8 months; HR, 0.39; P < 0.0001).106 These results are better than those reported in the previous phase III dabrafenib and trametinib monotherapy trials (Table 4).3,61,62,105 Additionally, in the Part B expansion cohort of patients with prior disease progression during BRAF inhibitor treatment, an impressive 19% response rate was seen with CombiDT therapy.107

2) You can see a number of immunicologically caused nervous system problems in patients receiving ipi. I have attached an abstract detailing some of those including "transverse myelitis" that produces symptoms similar to your description of your husband's experience. You might ask about that in particular.

Atypical neurological complications of ipilimumab therapy in patients with metastatic melanoma.

Abstract

BackgroundIpilimumab is a novel FDA-approved recombinant human monoclonal antibody that blocks cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4 and has been used to treat patients with metastatic melanoma. Immune-related neurological adverse effects include inflammatory myopathy, aseptic meningitis, posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, Guillain-Barré syndrome, myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, sensorimotor neuropathy, and inflammatory enteric neuropathy. To date, there is no report for ipilimumab-induced chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), transverse myelitis (TM), or concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome. Our objective is to raise early recognition of atypical neurological adverse events and to share our therapeutic approach.MethodsWe report 3 cases of metastatic melanoma treated with ipilimumab in which the patients developed CIDP, TM, and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, respectively, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center between July 2012 and June 2013. Patients consented to release of medical information for publication/educational purposes.ResultsOur 3 cases of metastatic melanoma treated with ipilimumab developed CIDP, TM, and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome, respectively. The median time to onset of immune-related adverse events following ipilimumab treatment ranged from 1 to 2 weeks. Ipilimumab was discontinued due to the severe neurological symptoms. Plasmapheresis was initiated in the patients with CIDP and concurrent myositis and myasthenia gravis-type syndrome; high-dose intravenous steroids were given to the patient with TM, and significant clinical response was demonstrated.ConclusionsIpilimumab could induce a wide spectrum of neurological adverse effects. Our findings support the standard treatment of withholding or discontinuing ipilimumab. Plasmapheresis or high-dose intravenous steroids may be considered as the initial choice of treatment for severe ipilimumab-related neurological adverse events. Improvement of neurological symptoms may be seen within 2 weeks.

3) From several personal discussions with Dr. Weber, the occurence of severe immunologic events after ipi does not preclude the use of Anti-Pd1 therapy.  I would pursue that as well.

Brent Morris
                                                                        Participant

Dear Joy,

Abstract

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

Wish you had a profile to provide us with more info to respond based on.  As I understand it, as of now, it is unknown as to whether the leg problem is related to Ipi, lepto or something else?  My personal experience is that I would not really expect a repeat of that problem with IL-2 which is not an Anti-CTLA-4 immunotherapy treatment.  If y'all have any interest in the IL-2 line of attack, I would strongly suggest that contact be made with either Dr. Geoffry Weiss at UVA ([email protected]) or Dr. Michael Atkins at Georgetown University ([email protected]).  Both of these Melanoma Oncologists have over 30 years experience working with IL-2 and both respond to emails and both are Deputy Directors of their respective Cancer Centers.  They and also Dr C. Slingluff at UVA ([email protected]) as well as Dr Weber at Moffit ([email protected]) could address the PD-1 side of the question.  PD-1 also has a different immunotherapy attack mode than either Ipi or IL-2.  (PD-1 acts to limit the activity of T cells in peripheral tissues during inflammatory response to infection and to limit autoimmunity). It would be interesting to get another opinion on the MEK/BRAF combination (and possibly the other than Zelboraf BRAF combo).

The most urgent item to get straight on is the possibility of Lepto.  This is the most critical at this stage. 
                                                                                  If Lepto, Dr Papa at MDA seems to be the only one with much success in attacking this with a special IL-2 mode of attack he developed.

If your husband has been tested for the BRAF mutation, then looking at the anti-C-kit treatments would be a waste of time.  So far all reports produced to date have stated that C-kit and BRAF tumors have been mutually exclusive in any individuals.  There have been some cases where BRAF and NRAS have not been mutually exclusive.  (IL-2 has the highest reported succces rate against NRAS yumors according to a recent NIH report.)

The ADC trial mentioned above, is one that also appears interesting.MIF Forums • View topic – Very promising new drug trial – Genentech/Roche ADC (http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34242)

Good Luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

Wish you had a profile to provide us with more info to respond based on.  As I understand it, as of now, it is unknown as to whether the leg problem is related to Ipi, lepto or something else?  My personal experience is that I would not really expect a repeat of that problem with IL-2 which is not an Anti-CTLA-4 immunotherapy treatment.  If y'all have any interest in the IL-2 line of attack, I would strongly suggest that contact be made with either Dr. Geoffry Weiss at UVA ([email protected]) or Dr. Michael Atkins at Georgetown University ([email protected]).  Both of these Melanoma Oncologists have over 30 years experience working with IL-2 and both respond to emails and both are Deputy Directors of their respective Cancer Centers.  They and also Dr C. Slingluff at UVA ([email protected]) as well as Dr Weber at Moffit ([email protected]) could address the PD-1 side of the question.  PD-1 also has a different immunotherapy attack mode than either Ipi or IL-2.  (PD-1 acts to limit the activity of T cells in peripheral tissues during inflammatory response to infection and to limit autoimmunity). It would be interesting to get another opinion on the MEK/BRAF combination (and possibly the other than Zelboraf BRAF combo).

The most urgent item to get straight on is the possibility of Lepto.  This is the most critical at this stage. 
                                                                                    If Lepto, Dr Papa at MDA seems to be the only one with much success in attacking this with a special IL-2 mode of attack he developed.

If your husband has been tested for the BRAF mutation, then looking at the anti-C-kit treatments would be a waste of time.  So far all reports produced to date have stated that C-kit and BRAF tumors have been mutually exclusive in any individuals.  There have been some cases where BRAF and NRAS have not been mutually exclusive.  (IL-2 has the highest reported succces rate against NRAS yumors according to a recent NIH report.)

The ADC trial mentioned above, is one that also appears interesting.MIF Forums • View topic – Very promising new drug trial – Genentech/Roche ADC (http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34242)

Good Luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

Good Luck.

Brent Morris
                                                                                  Participant

Jerry    You are right on point. Defining the spinal cord issue is key to the further approach. There is data supporting adding Mekinist to the Braf inhibitor (Flaherty K, Infante JR, Falchook GS, et al. Phase I/II expansion cohort of BRAF inhibitor GSK2118436 + MEK inhibitor GSK1120212 in patients with BRAF mutant metastatic melanoma who progressed on a prior BRAF inhibitor [abstract] Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24(1022):Abstract LBA1021–1024.) but it would be wise to look beyond that including IL2, and Anti-Pd1.

Brent Morris
                                                                                    Participant

Jerry    You are right on point. Defining the spinal cord issue is key to the further approach. There is data supporting adding Mekinist to the Braf inhibitor (Flaherty K, Infante JR, Falchook GS, et al. Phase I/II expansion cohort of BRAF inhibitor GSK2118436 + MEK inhibitor GSK1120212 in patients with BRAF mutant metastatic melanoma who progressed on a prior BRAF inhibitor [abstract] Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24(1022):Abstract LBA1021–1024.) but it would be wise to look beyond that including IL2, and Anti-Pd1.

Brent Morris
                                                                                      Participant

joy_
                                                                                      Participant

Turns out that it is leptomeningeal.  Going to try to get out to MDA to see Dr Papa!!!

thanks everyone for the feedback.

joy_
                                                                                        Participant

Turns out that it is leptomeningeal.  Going to try to get out to MDA to see Dr Papa!!!

joy_
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics