The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What really causes skin cancer (possibly it is not the Sun)

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community What really causes skin cancer (possibly it is not the Sun)

• Replies
      natasha
      Participant

As far as I analizing and reading more about melanoma causing reasons ,I really think it is not sun what is biggest reason of this form of cancer..

natasha
        Participant

As far as I analizing and reading more about melanoma causing reasons ,I really think it is not sun what is biggest reason of this form of cancer..

JC
            Participant

Who knows for sure.  Some may be genetic, but most are statistically not.  All I know is in my case, I have no family members with melanoma, but I was diagnosed with it.  I have a history of really bad childhood sunburns, multiple times.  So, for me, in my case, I absolutely think it was sun exposure/radiation causing cell/DNA damage, that would not have happened without the sun exposure.

natasha
              Participant

In my case it was hormones – pregnancy hormones deffinately. A lot of women are diagnosed during pregnancy.

Poor diet – a lot of junk ,red meat etc can be reason as well ,I think

natasha
                Participant

In my case it was hormones – pregnancy hormones deffinately. A lot of women are diagnosed during pregnancy.

JC
                  Participant

Is there a scientific expert/consultant to this board that can either dispel some of the myths out there or confirm scientific facts about this kind of stuff?

JC
                    Participant

Is there a scientific expert/consultant to this board that can either dispel some of the myths out there or confirm scientific facts about this kind of stuff?

natasha
                      Participant

I suppose no one expert ,doctor etc knows 100% truth about cancer's reasons ,what's why we do not even have 100% cure – medicines or treatments against cancer.

natasha
                        Participant

I suppose no one expert ,doctor etc knows 100% truth about cancer's reasons ,what's why we do not even have 100% cure – medicines or treatments against cancer.

natasha
                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

I do not believe that there is an expert in the world that can either confirm nor dispel the causes of many of the cases of melanoma.  The only relationship I have even read about is related to UVA/UVB rays and sunburns.  Somewhere I did read an article about some researcher saying that they could show the DNA change that the UVA / UVB rays generate and how they lead to some melanoma cases.  I have seen any write-ups that ties a relationship between anything and melanoma tumors in none sun exposed locations.

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

I do not believe that there is an expert in the world that can either confirm nor dispel the causes of many of the cases of melanoma.  The only relationship I have even read about is related to UVA/UVB rays and sunburns.  Somewhere I did read an article about some researcher saying that they could show the DNA change that the UVA / UVB rays generate and how they lead to some melanoma cases.  I have seen any write-ups that ties a relationship between anything and melanoma tumors in none sun exposed locations.

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

I have NOT seen any write-ups that tie a relationship between anything and melanoma tumors in none sun exposed locations.

********************************************************

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/11/790.full

Interesting article.

Here' another that relates UVA / UVB (I.e. -sunlight & tanning booths) to melanoma along the lines that cigarette smoke and lung cancer are linked.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091216131751.htm

The studies, of a malignant melanoma and a lung cancer, reveal for the first time essentially all the mutations in the genomes of two cancers.

Lung cancer causes around one million deaths worldwide each year: almost all are associated with smoking. The number of mutations found suggest that a typical smoker would acquire one mutation for every 15 cigarettes smoked.

Although malignant melanoma comprises only 3% of skin cancer cases, it is the cause of three out of four skin cancer deaths. The melanoma genome contained more than 30,000 mutations that carried a record of how and when they occurred during the patient's life.

"These are the two main cancers in the developed world for which we know the primary exposure," explains Professor Mike Stratton, from the Cancer Genome Project at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. "For lung cancer, it is cigarette smoke and for malignant melanoma it is exposure to sunlight. With these genome sequences, we have been able to explore deep into the past of each tumour, uncovering with remarkable clarity the imprints of these environmental mutagens on DNA, which occurred years before the tumour became apparent.

"We can also see the desperate attempts of our genome to defend itself against the damage wreaked by the chemicals in cigarette smoke or the damage from ultraviolet radiation. Our cells fight back furiously to repair the damage, but frequently lose that fight."

The studies used powerful new DNA sequencing technologies to decode completely the genome of both tumour tissue and normal tissue from a lung cancer and a malignant melanoma patient. By comparing the genome sequence from the cancer to the genome from healthy tissue they could pick up the changes specific to the cancer. The studies are the first to produce comprehensive genome-wide descriptions of all classes of mutation, producing rich accounts of the genetic changes in the development of the two cancers.

"In the melanoma sample, we can see sunlight's signature writ large in the genome," says Dr Andy Futreal, from the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. "However, with both samples, because we have produced essentially complete catalogues, we can see other, more mysterious processes acting on the DNA. Indeed, somewhere amongst the mutations we have found lurk those that drive the cells to become cancerous. Tracking them down will be our major challenge for the next few years."

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Causes of Cancer Melanoma

It was once previously thought the causes of melanoma was simply the too much exposure to the sun, with white skinned people more prone to falling to the cancer. However, if it is true that the sun causes cancer, wouldn't it stand to reason that every white person who has spent some time in the sun would end up with skin cancer? And since they don't there must be another cause.

See for complete article:

http://cancermelanoma.org/

Gene_S
                                    Participant

It was once previously thought the causes of melanoma was simply the too much exposure to the sun, with white skinned people more prone to falling to the cancer. However, if it is true that the sun causes cancer, wouldn't it stand to reason that every white person who has spent some time in the sun would end up with skin cancer? And since they don't there must be another cause.

Bob B.
                                      Participant

Dissident Dermatologists are few.    Sun is the bogeyman for the overwhelming majority.

But there are a few.   Here are two who don't buy the propaganda from the $500,000,000 sunscreen/sunblock industry that helps to fund much of the 'research' justifying avoiding the sun.  Check it out:

http://chetday.com/sunskincancer.htm

Bob B.
                                        Participant

Dissident Dermatologists are few.    Sun is the bogeyman for the overwhelming majority.

But there are a few.   Here are two who don't buy the propaganda from the $500,000,000 sunscreen/sunblock industry that helps to fund much of the 'research' justifying avoiding the sun.  Check it out:

Bob B.
                                          Participant

Bob B.
                                            Participant

Dissident Dermatologists are few and far between.    Sun is the bogeyman for the overwhelming majority.

Bob B.
                                              Participant

Dissident Dermatologists are few and far between.    Sun is the bogeyman for the overwhelming majority.

Bob B.
                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

I have NOT seen any write-ups that tie a relationship between anything and melanoma tumors in none sun exposed locations.

Interesting article.

Here' another that relates UVA / UVB (I.e. -sunlight & tanning booths) to melanoma along the lines that cigarette smoke and lung cancer are linked.

The studies, of a malignant melanoma and a lung cancer, reveal for the first time essentially all the mutations in the genomes of two cancers.

Lung cancer causes around one million deaths worldwide each year: almost all are associated with smoking. The number of mutations found suggest that a typical smoker would acquire one mutation for every 15 cigarettes smoked.

Although malignant melanoma comprises only 3% of skin cancer cases, it is the cause of three out of four skin cancer deaths. The melanoma genome contained more than 30,000 mutations that carried a record of how and when they occurred during the patient's life.

"These are the two main cancers in the developed world for which we know the primary exposure," explains Professor Mike Stratton, from the Cancer Genome Project at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. "For lung cancer, it is cigarette smoke and for malignant melanoma it is exposure to sunlight. With these genome sequences, we have been able to explore deep into the past of each tumour, uncovering with remarkable clarity the imprints of these environmental mutagens on DNA, which occurred years before the tumour became apparent.

"We can also see the desperate attempts of our genome to defend itself against the damage wreaked by the chemicals in cigarette smoke or the damage from ultraviolet radiation. Our cells fight back furiously to repair the damage, but frequently lose that fight."

The studies used powerful new DNA sequencing technologies to decode completely the genome of both tumour tissue and normal tissue from a lung cancer and a malignant melanoma patient. By comparing the genome sequence from the cancer to the genome from healthy tissue they could pick up the changes specific to the cancer. The studies are the first to produce comprehensive genome-wide descriptions of all classes of mutation, producing rich accounts of the genetic changes in the development of the two cancers.

"In the melanoma sample, we can see sunlight's signature writ large in the genome," says Dr Andy Futreal, from the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. "However, with both samples, because we have produced essentially complete catalogues, we can see other, more mysterious processes acting on the DNA. Indeed, somewhere amongst the mutations we have found lurk those that drive the cells to become cancerous. Tracking them down will be our major challenge for the next few years."

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Interesting article.

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

natasha
                                                            Participant

JC
                                                              Participant

Who knows for sure.  Some may be genetic, but most are statistically not.  All I know is in my case, I have no family members with melanoma, but I was diagnosed with it.  I have a history of really bad childhood sunburns, multiple times.  So, for me, in my case, I absolutely think it was sun exposure/radiation causing cell/DNA damage, that would not have happened without the sun exposure.

JC
                                                                Participant

Shapoval
                                                                  Participant

What is melanoma? What causes melanoma? There is no known cause? Any cancer affects the human body through the cells. Cancer is a disease of the cells. Cancer occurs when excessive iron accumulates in the cells, tissues and organs. Skin cancer is a multistep process during which skin cells acquire iron overload. Melanoma is disorder of iron metabolism characterized by excessive iron absorption and carcinogenic accumulation of iron in melanocytes. Iron overload can affect genetic material (DNA, RNA) and cellular organelles (mitochondria, lysosomes, cytoplasm, cytoplasmic membrane). Father of Oncology says that cancer is primarily an iron disease. Global cancer death rates are more than 50 per cent higher in men than women, because men have more iron in their bodies than women. Metastatic melanoma is a fatal disease because chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy are not iron chelation therapies. If cancers are caused by iron-related genes (genes directly/indirectly involved in iron metabolism) and iron-related events (when excessive iron accumulates within the cells due to carcinogenic lifestyle events), then only anti-iron drugs and methods will successfully beat metastatic melanoma.  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/176716  ;  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/176584  ;  Vadim

Shapoval
                                                                    Participant

What is melanoma? What causes melanoma? There is no known cause? Any cancer affects the human body through the cells. Cancer is a disease of the cells. Cancer occurs when excessive iron accumulates in the cells, tissues and organs. Skin cancer is a multistep process during which skin cells acquire iron overload. Melanoma is disorder of iron metabolism characterized by excessive iron absorption and carcinogenic accumulation of iron in melanocytes. Iron overload can affect genetic material (DNA, RNA) and cellular organelles (mitochondria, lysosomes, cytoplasm, cytoplasmic membrane). Father of Oncology says that cancer is primarily an iron disease. Global cancer death rates are more than 50 per cent higher in men than women, because men have more iron in their bodies than women. Metastatic melanoma is a fatal disease because chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy are not iron chelation therapies. If cancers are caused by iron-related genes (genes directly/indirectly involved in iron metabolism) and iron-related events (when excessive iron accumulates within the cells due to carcinogenic lifestyle events), then only anti-iron drugs and methods will successfully beat metastatic melanoma.  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/176716  ;  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/176584  ;  Vadim

Shapoval
                                                                      Participant

natasha
                                                                      Participant

CarolA
                                                                        Participant

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/06/04/nr-truckers-face-sun-damage.cnn

Well, I didn't read the links;  I'm sorry.   But what I did see today was this report on CNN.   I hope I am putting this up properly.   It shows the face of a truck driver, who drove truck for 28 years, and the difference of his left side of his face to his right.   Granted, it does not show "melanoma"—-but talk about sun damage!!

CarolA

CarolA
                                                                          Participant

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/06/04/nr-truckers-face-sun-damage.cnn

Well, I didn't read the links;  I'm sorry.   But what I did see today was this report on CNN.   I hope I am putting this up properly.   It shows the face of a truck driver, who drove truck for 28 years, and the difference of his left side of his face to his right.   Granted, it does not show "melanoma"—-but talk about sun damage!!

CarolA

CarolA
                                                                            Participant

CarolA

deardad
                                                                                Participant

The idea that the sun exposure is the only contributing factor to getting this cancer has never really made sense to me. In saying that, too much sun exposure like anything will lead to damage of some kind.

I watched a program on communities of centenarians throughout the world and it all came down to their general lifestyle. Their diets were in essence…simple fresh foods (small quantites) that is grown/produced locally. The other key was living a non sedentary lifestyle, they were active outdoors most of the day. I think the Western diet/lifestyle has definately contributed to the rise of cancers. There's no doubt that genetics do play a part in some cases. How do you remain so balanced in an unbalanced world? The general stresses of living contribute I believe, to the increase of cancers.  We spend our lives rushing to work, for some we sit on our chairs all day at work under fluro lights. Lunch on the run which in most cases is probably bought, then we have a drink at night after the stress of the day and end up sitting on the couch to wind down in front of the TV. That's life for most Westerners including my dad, although he never drank, and now he is stage 4 with not much time left. He never saw the sun, I think he just spent his life trying to support us and in turn he never took or had the time to care for his own health. Just my two bobs.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                                  Participant

The idea that the sun exposure is the only contributing factor to getting this cancer has never really made sense to me. In saying that, too much sun exposure like anything will lead to damage of some kind.

I watched a program on communities of centenarians throughout the world and it all came down to their general lifestyle. Their diets were in essence…simple fresh foods (small quantites) that is grown/produced locally. The other key was living a non sedentary lifestyle, they were active outdoors most of the day. I think the Western diet/lifestyle has definately contributed to the rise of cancers. There's no doubt that genetics do play a part in some cases. How do you remain so balanced in an unbalanced world? The general stresses of living contribute I believe, to the increase of cancers.  We spend our lives rushing to work, for some we sit on our chairs all day at work under fluro lights. Lunch on the run which in most cases is probably bought, then we have a drink at night after the stress of the day and end up sitting on the couch to wind down in front of the TV. That's life for most Westerners including my dad, although he never drank, and now he is stage 4 with not much time left. He never saw the sun, I think he just spent his life trying to support us and in turn he never took or had the time to care for his own health. Just my two bobs.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Bob B.
                                                                                    Participant

I agree with you, Nahmi.

As the star oncologist at UCSD says (video available, if of interest), "the relation between the sun and melanoma is 'complex'".   In other words, it exists- both negatively and positively and in different degrees and in different exposure lengths and at different times of day and…. (etc).

Moderation in all things.   At the moment, I'm peeking at Gerson Therapy (google it), banned for treatment in the USA through AMA pressure, but followed elsewhere throughout the world.   Denigrated as quackery, it has outspoken adherents, survivors.   I reckon fruit juices, fresh vegies and fruits and the occasional coffee enema don't kill.   So why not give it a try?   

deardad
                                                                                      Participant

I have also looked at Gerson Therapy Bob B and I have no doubt that a healthy strict diet like that naturally contributes to better health or improved health. Melanoma on the other hand from what I've researched (since my dad has been diagnosed) is only curable when it's been caught early and cut out. My mum and I put my dad on a very healthy diet, which omitted red meat, fresh daily organic juices of all the colors of the vegie rainbow (he was stage 3B). We also shelled apricots for their kernals for over 6 months. I have no doubt that this helped his health generally but it certainly did not stop his melanoma from spreading. More than anything the diet gave us a sense of control.

One thing I've learned about this cancer from my personal experience and all the experiences I've read about on this board and the internet, is that there are so many variables. Without wanting to discourage anyone from considering these alternatives, I think once the melanoma has spread you're best chances lie in surgery (if possible) and an oncologist that is a specialist in this field.

Diet for me is all about prevention not cure. 

Snickers60
                                                                                        Participant

Hubby and I were just discussing this.   I, for one, do NOT believe it's all sun, and who didn't get burned as a child ya know. 

Wayne's mole behind his ear, never saw the sun, and it popped up like a raisin overnight it seemed.  Our Doc at MDA said he has seen 6 month olds with MELANOMA……..NO SUN !      MOTHER had NO MEL. 

I definitely think the sun is damaging, but as far it being the CAUSE of Melanoma – I just do not buy it.  Hubby is first in his family to have MEL.    BUT, he also had colon cancer 10 years before the first MEL.

I think it's CANCER, just like other cancers, just a different kind, but then who am I, but a potential widow if these treatments do not work !  

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                                                                                          Participant

Hubby and I were just discussing this.   I, for one, do NOT believe it's all sun, and who didn't get burned as a child ya know. 

Wayne's mole behind his ear, never saw the sun, and it popped up like a raisin overnight it seemed.  Our Doc at MDA said he has seen 6 month olds with MELANOMA……..NO SUN !      MOTHER had NO MEL. 

I definitely think the sun is damaging, but as far it being the CAUSE of Melanoma – I just do not buy it.  Hubby is first in his family to have MEL.    BUT, he also had colon cancer 10 years before the first MEL.

I think it's CANCER, just like other cancers, just a different kind, but then who am I, but a potential widow if these treatments do not work !  

Snickers60
                                                                                            Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                              Participant

I agree.   The sun can be damaging, sunburns cause mutations, etc.   But sun avoidance and sun blocks, etc are not the silver bullet they've claimed for thirty years.  The sun bogeyman has become centerpiece of an increasingly well-developed institutionalized, "primary cause" of melanoma.   Countless cases of those who have had melanomas that "may" be due to excessive sun exposure.   And counless cases of those who have had melanoma entirely without sun exposure.   I try to keep an open mind, which is not always the sign of any industry, not excluding that of the health industry itself..

Bob B.
                                                                                                Participant

I agree.   The sun can be damaging, sunburns cause mutations, etc.   But sun avoidance and sun blocks, etc are not the silver bullet they've claimed for thirty years.  The sun bogeyman has become centerpiece of an increasingly well-developed institutionalized, "primary cause" of melanoma.   Countless cases of those who have had melanomas that "may" be due to excessive sun exposure.   And counless cases of those who have had melanoma entirely without sun exposure.   I try to keep an open mind, which is not always the sign of any industry, not excluding that of the health industry itself..

Bob B.
                                                                                                  Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                    Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                      Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                          Participant

Nancy,

A vitamin D-3 deficiency (natural from the SUN) is often associated with breast and colon cancer.

I suspect the same in melanoma. I know that the sun did not cause my melanoma as

I worked night turn (40+ years) sleeping during the day. Some say that shift workers have a  25%

more chance of developing melanoma, possibly this is the case for me? As far as diet is concerned

it is a known fact that colon cancer is usually from a bad diet. One good book that I think does a good job of explaining about diet and cancer is "The Maker's Diet."  Best wishes to you and your husband.

Gene_S
                                                                                                            Participant

Nancy,

A vitamin D-3 deficiency (natural from the SUN) is often associated with breast and colon cancer.

I suspect the same in melanoma. I know that the sun did not cause my melanoma as

I worked night turn (40+ years) sleeping during the day. Some say that shift workers have a  25%

more chance of developing melanoma, possibly this is the case for me? As far as diet is concerned

it is a known fact that colon cancer is usually from a bad diet. One good book that I think does a good job of explaining about diet and cancer is "The Maker's Diet."  Best wishes to you and your husband.

Gene_S
                                                                                                              Participant

Nancy,

Bob B.
                                                                                                                Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                  Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                    Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                      Participant

I agree.   The sun can be damaging, sunburns cause mutations, etc.   But sun avoidance and sun blocks, etc are not the silver bullet they've claimed for thirty years.  The sun bogeyman has become centerpiece as an increasingly well-developed institutionalized, "primary cause" of melanoma.   Countless cases of those who have had melanomas that "may" be due to excessive sun exposure.   And counless cases of those who have had melanoma entirely without sun exposure.   I try to keep an open mind, which is not always the sign of any industry, not excluding that of the health industry itself..

Bob B.
                                                                                                                        Participant

I agree.   The sun can be damaging, sunburns cause mutations, etc.   But sun avoidance and sun blocks, etc are not the silver bullet they've claimed for thirty years.  The sun bogeyman has become centerpiece as an increasingly well-developed institutionalized, "primary cause" of melanoma.   Countless cases of those who have had melanomas that "may" be due to excessive sun exposure.   And counless cases of those who have had melanoma entirely without sun exposure.   I try to keep an open mind, which is not always the sign of any industry, not excluding that of the health industry itself..

Bob B.
                                                                                                                          Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                            Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                              Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                  Participant

A friend here watched Gerson Therapy entirely reverse ("cure"?) his wife's widely metastasized cancer.   Still, until I've had personal experience myself, it is dubious to me that diet can cure.   So for now, I am with you:  "An ounce of (diet) prevention is worth a pound of cure".   With melanoma, awareness and early surgery are key.   Just as you say, so many variables.   And so many unique individual responses, too.   I've broken the fundamental eternal vigilence, early diagnosis and treatment rule.   Tracking melanomas 8 months, 2 years and longer, respectively, really made no sense.   If I happen to get away with it, it will be a question of blind luck and individual physiology.  

As to the effects of sun, diet, and treatment, I reckon moderation in all things is the guide.   Until, of course, it no longer is.  🙂

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                    Participant

A friend here watched Gerson Therapy entirely reverse ("cure"?) his wife's widely metastasized cancer.   Still, until I've had personal experience myself, it is dubious to me that diet can cure.   So for now, I am with you:  "An ounce of (diet) prevention is worth a pound of cure".   With melanoma, awareness and early surgery are key.   Just as you say, so many variables.   And so many unique individual responses, too.   I've broken the fundamental eternal vigilence, early diagnosis and treatment rule.   Tracking melanomas 8 months, 2 years and longer, respectively, really made no sense.   If I happen to get away with it, it will be a question of blind luck and individual physiology.  

As to the effects of sun, diet, and treatment, I reckon moderation in all things is the guide.   Until, of course, it no longer is.  🙂

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I'm not into the diet theory for colon cancer either – as in his dad died of it as age 34 !!!    I think diet counts…..don't get me wrong……red meat, hormones, etc. but as a cause……..I don't think so.  

We have been very healthy eaters since the colon cancer, however, and continue to strive to do better.   No soft drinks in this house for decades – etc.     MSG seems to be a huge culprit in food I understand too.

It's not the diet, it's what they are doing to the diet.    I ate chickens raised on the farm……fresh veggies everyday……I've been sick as a horse my whole life.    Didn't have money for much store bought stuff.   LOLOL

So, until we know, we don't know I suppose.    You can drive yourself absolutely crazy studying DIETS and HEALTH EATING !  

BTW – I ran into a woman yesterday at a store whose husband committed suicide 2 weeks ago because the DOC would not give him sufficient PAIN MEDS FOR HIS CANCER !   Really sad……………

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                          Participant

I'm not into the diet theory for colon cancer either – as in his dad died of it as age 34 !!!    I think diet counts…..don't get me wrong……red meat, hormones, etc. but as a cause……..I don't think so.  

We have been very healthy eaters since the colon cancer, however, and continue to strive to do better.   No soft drinks in this house for decades – etc.     MSG seems to be a huge culprit in food I understand too.

It's not the diet, it's what they are doing to the diet.    I ate chickens raised on the farm……fresh veggies everyday……I've been sick as a horse my whole life.    Didn't have money for much store bought stuff.   LOLOL

So, until we know, we don't know I suppose.    You can drive yourself absolutely crazy studying DIETS and HEALTH EATING !  

BTW – I ran into a woman yesterday at a store whose husband committed suicide 2 weeks ago because the DOC would not give him sufficient PAIN MEDS FOR HIS CANCER !   Really sad……………

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Before I would do the Gerson program, I would contact Ralph Moss and find out what alternate remedies are available for melanoma worldwide. Do a search on "Ralph Moss and Melanoma."  When I first started looking for a cure for my melanoma I found that there are several cancer programs right inside the Mexican border and I would think that there are other programs outside the USA.  I feel that most people wait until it is too late to use a alternate treatment and if the programs don't work then they condemn alternative medicine.

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks much, checking Ralph Moss now…!

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Before I would do the Gerson program, I would contact Ralph Moss and find out what alternate remedies are available for melanoma worldwide. Do a search on "Ralph Moss and Melanoma."  When I first started looking for a cure for my melanoma I found that there are several cancer programs right inside the Mexican border and I would think that there are other programs outside the USA.  I feel that most people wait until it is too late to use a alternate treatment and if the programs don't work then they condemn alternative medicine.

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

deardad
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I have also looked at Gerson Therapy Bob B and I have no doubt that a healthy strict diet like that naturally contributes to better health or improved health. Melanoma on the other hand from what I've researched (since my dad has been diagnosed) is only curable when it's been caught early and cut out. My mum and I put my dad on a very healthy diet, which omitted red meat, fresh daily organic juices of all the colors of the vegie rainbow (he was stage 3B). We also shelled apricots for their kernals for over 6 months. I have no doubt that this helped his health generally but it certainly did not stop his melanoma from spreading. More than anything the diet gave us a sense of control.

One thing I've learned about this cancer from my personal experience and all the experiences I've read about on this board and the internet, is that there are so many variables. Without wanting to discourage anyone from considering these alternatives, I think once the melanoma has spread you're best chances lie in surgery (if possible) and an oncologist that is a specialist in this field.

deardad
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I agree with you, Nahmi.

As the star oncologist at UCSD says (video available, if of interest), "the relation between the sun and melanoma is 'complex'".   In other words, it exists- both negatively and positively and in different degrees and in different exposure lengths and at different times of day and…. (etc).

Moderation in all things.   At the moment, I'm peeking at Gerson Therapy (google it), banned for treatment in the USA through AMA pressure, but followed elsewhere throughout the world.   Denigrated as quackery, it has outspoken adherents, survivors.   I reckon fruit juices, fresh vegies and fruits and the occasional coffee enema don't kill.   So why not give it a try?   

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I agree with you, Nahmi.

deardad
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Maybe Malignant melanoma is caused by EMF's and not the sun!

see:  http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=587546

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Tried to download the PDF file in the link and was not able to do it.

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Nor could I.   But the abstract of the EM-link research does appear on the left side of the page.

Here's another, from "dissident" dermatologists who don't keep pointing at the sun like the sunblock industry, AMA, derms in general:

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Nor could I.   But the abstract of the EM-link research does appear on the left side of the page.

Here's another, from "dissident" dermatologists who don't keep pointing at the sun like the sunblock industry, AMA, derms in general:

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Most well intentioned people believe sun exposure "causes" melanoma.  Many believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa, too

Most dermatologists and the $B sun screen industry afraid of losing their  'smoking gun' believe in The Bogeyman (the Sun).   Just as plenty of urologists continue to believe in PSA tests for all men.

I won't rant, promise.   But I am VERY tired of the medical profession repeating the same tired old shiboleth.   As long as the world focuses on The Bogeyman, the REAL causes of Melanoma will remain obscured.

MRF, you are among the biggest infractors.   Please, wake up!

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Most well intentioned people believe sun exposure "causes" melanoma.  Many believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa, too

Most dermatologists and the $B sun screen industry afraid of losing their  'smoking gun' believe in The Bogeyman (the Sun).   Just as plenty of urologists continue to believe in PSA tests for all men.

I won't rant, promise.   But I am VERY tired of the medical profession repeating the same tired old shiboleth.   As long as the world focuses on The Bogeyman, the REAL causes of Melanoma will remain obscured.

Bob B.
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Liz Mac
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Excellent! 

Liz Mac
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Excellent! 

Liz Mac
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Excellent! 

Vegan Edge
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                    The medical professionals are just donkeys in disguise who are trying to make a quick buck off sick people. At least with lawyers you know what you’re getting.

Melanoma along with most other cancers and diseases or illnesses are mostly caused by the food you consume on a daily basis. Go on a whole foods plant based vegan diet/lifestyle along with using less chemical products, such as cosmetics, perfumes, creams/moisturizers, and reap the benefits. Remember you have to do this long term.

Have faith in the order of things which is the almighty providence and not some jackass fool claiming to know what is good for you like these “doctors” out there.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics