The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

what is Desmoplastic melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community what is Desmoplastic melanoma?

Participant

hi,

can you advise what Desmoplastic melanoma is ,  what are treatments of it and potentially prognosis?

k

hi,

can you advise what Desmoplastic melanoma is ,  what are treatments of it and potentially prognosis?

k

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
          Karolina
          Participant

thank you very much

k.

Nicky
            Participant

Hi Karolina.  I had a desmoplastic melanoma levek IV cut out over six years ago on my arm.  The surgeons said they treat it like a soft tissue sarcoma.

I received 4 weeks of radiation treatment for local control and have never had any further problems with it

Karolina
              Participant

hi Nicky,

glad to hear that you were lucky and have no problems with it anymore… do you think it matter if they cut out first tumour without knowing what it is and then after a month it grown back? when it grown back then they have realised what it was so they cut the secound one out and now she is awaiting SNB results…

k.

Nicky
                Participant

Hi Karolina

I wish I could answer that but I really don't know.  I was told by the doctors at the time that desmoplastic melanomas when they present are usually quite deep as they can be difficult to diagnose and  have a high occurence of coming back in the same place especially if it was involved in the perenial nerve.  They said there is also a low occurence in the lymph node basin for these types of melanoma.

Whether the radiation has prevented it from coming back, I really don't know, I hope so.

I hope that she has good results with the SNB.

Nicky
                  Participant

Hi Karolina

I wish I could answer that but I really don't know.  I was told by the doctors at the time that desmoplastic melanomas when they present are usually quite deep as they can be difficult to diagnose and  have a high occurence of coming back in the same place especially if it was involved in the perenial nerve.  They said there is also a low occurence in the lymph node basin for these types of melanoma.

Whether the radiation has prevented it from coming back, I really don't know, I hope so.

Nicky
                    Participant

Hi Karolina

Nicky
                      Participant

Hi Karolina

Karolina
                        Participant

hi Nicky,

i know it is difficult to give a definite answer… i hope that her results will be good for her – obviously. however, i am a little bit confused with this type of melanoma as they say it is the most dangerous type however, statistics show that the survival is better comparing to the other types… unless i misunderstood something. obviously i am glad that survival statistics shows better score but as i said, i am confused…..

k

Karolina
                          Participant

hi Nicky,

i know it is difficult to give a definite answer… i hope that her results will be good for her – obviously. however, i am a little bit confused with this type of melanoma as they say it is the most dangerous type however, statistics show that the survival is better comparing to the other types… unless i misunderstood something. obviously i am glad that survival statistics shows better score but as i said, i am confused…..

k

Karolina
                            Participant

hi Nicky,

k

Nicky
                              Participant

Hi Karolina

Nicky
                                Participant

Hi Karolina

Karolina
                                  Participant

hi Nicky,

glad to hear that you were lucky and have no problems with it anymore… do you think it matter if they cut out first tumour without knowing what it is and then after a month it grown back? when it grown back then they have realised what it was so they cut the secound one out and now she is awaiting SNB results…

k.

Karolina
                                    Participant

hi Nicky,

k.

Nicky
                                      Participant

Hi Karolina.  I had a desmoplastic melanoma levek IV cut out over six years ago on my arm.  The surgeons said they treat it like a soft tissue sarcoma.

I received 4 weeks of radiation treatment for local control and have never had any further problems with it

Nicky
                                        Participant

Karolina
                                          Participant

thank you very much

k.

Karolina
                                            Participant

thank you very much

k.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics