The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

what is considered to be a high mitotic rate

Forums General Melanoma Community what is considered to be a high mitotic rate

Participant

is a mitotic rate of 2 considered high? with no ulceration and a .75 thickness?

is a mitotic rate of 2 considered high? with no ulceration and a .75 thickness?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Minnesota
        Participant

No, but it would be better if it were 0. I think a 2 would be low-medium. It means that your tumor was getting pretty active (per what my doctor told me).

I had a mitotic rate of 5 and a depth of 1.45 and my sentinel lymph node biopsy was clear.  It's really hard to find information about it, it was my biggest concern too.

Bob B.
            Participant

Since 2010, mitotic rate has replaced 1960's Clark Level in staging as the most accurate prognostic factor after Breslow thickness.  My impression- based on very limited knowledge- is that histologic methods to determine mitotic rate vary widely.   How much credibility does an undeniably important factor have for which standards or guidelines are as yet lacking?   Why do some pathology labs still not verify mitotic rate?   I don't know.   I talked directly with the pathologist to find out section thickness, number of sections used, 'breadloaf' sectioning, etc of my excision.   1mm obviously seems too "laborious to perform".    3mm seemed 'ok'.    See excerpt from abstract on sectioning procedures, especially the last sentence (below).   Mitotic rate is highly promising, but its interpretation remains a grey area worth closer inquiry.

Melanoma Staging: Implications of Histologic Sectioning Procedures

Balch et al1 have stated that proliferation of primary melanoma as defined by the mitotic rate is a powerful and independent predictor of survival. As a result, primary tumor mitotic rate is now a required element for the seventh edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer melanoma staging system. We suggest that careful serial histologic sectioning of the melanoma is necessary to establish the mitotic rate with confidence. The absence of mitosis may be established with certainty only after total serial sectioning of the paraffin block, which can be laborious to perform. Alternatively, it is necessary to establish guidelines for the number of sections that need to be examined to determine the mitotic rate. Interpretation of the mitotic rate is difficult when the procedure for sectioning the paraffin block is not clearly specified.

Bob B.
              Participant

Since 2010, mitotic rate has replaced 1960's Clark Level in staging as the most accurate prognostic factor after Breslow thickness.  My impression- based on very limited knowledge- is that histologic methods to determine mitotic rate vary widely.   How much credibility does an undeniably important factor have for which standards or guidelines are as yet lacking?   Why do some pathology labs still not verify mitotic rate?   I don't know.   I talked directly with the pathologist to find out section thickness, number of sections used, 'breadloaf' sectioning, etc of my excision.   1mm obviously seems too "laborious to perform".    3mm seemed 'ok'.    See excerpt from abstract on sectioning procedures, especially the last sentence (below).   Mitotic rate is highly promising, but its interpretation remains a grey area worth closer inquiry.

Balch et al1 have stated that proliferation of primary melanoma as defined by the mitotic rate is a powerful and independent predictor of survival. As a result, primary tumor mitotic rate is now a required element for the seventh edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer melanoma staging system. We suggest that careful serial histologic sectioning of the melanoma is necessary to establish the mitotic rate with confidence. The absence of mitosis may be established with certainty only after total serial sectioning of the paraffin block, which can be laborious to perform. Alternatively, it is necessary to establish guidelines for the number of sections that need to be examined to determine the mitotic rate. Interpretation of the mitotic rate is difficult when the procedure for sectioning the paraffin block is not clearly specified.

Bob B.
                Participant

Minnesota
                Participant

No, but it would be better if it were 0. I think a 2 would be low-medium. It means that your tumor was getting pretty active (per what my doctor told me).

I had a mitotic rate of 5 and a depth of 1.45 and my sentinel lymph node biopsy was clear.  It's really hard to find information about it, it was my biggest concern too.

Minnesota
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics