The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What happens after a wide excision

Forums General Melanoma Community What happens after a wide excision

Participant

How after a wide excision with a sentinel biopsy do you usually have results?  Also after the procedures how long should I expect to be out of work.  I have a fairly demanding job.  My excision will be on my back.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Pathology results can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, that all depends on the lab and how busy they are. Mine took one week from surgery. After my WLE and SLNB I was out of work for 5 days, mine was on my calf so I had to be super careful walking and my job at the time was pretty active. If I had a desk job I would have gone back sooner. With WLE on your back, you might be a bit limited with upper body movement for a week or so. If that doesn't interfere with work then it's up to you how long you want to take off for work. I just had some lymph nodes removed from my left armpit on Wednesday last week, I am going back to work tomorrow. I am still sore and can't use my left arm a whole lot but my job is mostly desk work now so it will be no problem. 

Claroni10
            Participant

Hey Jenn thanks for the reply.  I'm still trying to get all thru this.  How painful was the wide excision?

jennunicorn
              Participant

Not too bad, I took painkillers for 3 days after surgery and after that did not need anything besides Tylenol. The SLNB in my groin was more painful than the WLE, if it was WLE alone then I probably would not have neeeded more than 1 day of painkillers, but that is because they had to go fairly deep in my pelvic region to get a lymph node, felt like a horse had kicked me in the gut. 

Claroni10
                Participant

Thank you so much for your responses.  Ill pray for you thanks again

ThinkingPositive
                Participant

Hello- I got results a week after the SNLB and WLE. I had a gamma graft on my nose during the wait, and then had the full thickness skin graft from my neck placed on my nose 10 days later. I have a desk job working at home thankfully, and only took one day off after each surgery to let the anesthesia wear off.  Good luck!

Janner
                  Participant

I had a decent sized WLE over my right shoulder-blade.  I'm left handed but found out how often I use the right side.  It will be very tight and depending upon the depth of your lesion, the excision scar may be quite large.  If your job is very physical, you will just have to judge how much you can do by how much motion you can achieve without splitting the stitches.  I suggest some extra wrapping in the area if that might help keep things "together" better.   I didn't have a SNB but I have never taken any pain meds for my WLE's.  They've been uncomfortable and very tight but not what I'd term painful.  I typically ice the area frequently to keep any swelling in check.  I have a desk job but was back at work the following day.  (I've had at least 10 WLEs – 3 on my back but I'm just describing the largest one in the most challenging area).

Claroni10
                      Participant

Thanks for the insight.  I am a police officer and I also work as a personal trainer at a local gym so it will be a challenge.  I was told at least two to three weeks away from both jobs.  My WLE is  on my left upper back 

Marksa2570
                        Participant

I really recommend you give it time to heal appropriately.  Mine was on my bicep and it opened and got infected.  I was down for an additional 2-3 weeks to treat that.   I either lifted something or returned to gym too quickly.    

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics