The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What does parotid tumor feel like?

Forums General Melanoma Community What does parotid tumor feel like?

Participant

Stage IA, left temple, WLE in May.

Feel a hard, very small lump directly under left ear / behind jaw bone. My jaw has begun to click when I open it – I thought it was just TMJ from years of orthodontics.

My doctors never feel directly under my ear, they've always felt for lymph nodes (under jaw, neck, behind ear in scalp, armpit, groin) but never have felt directly under my ear. 

Anyone who has had experience with parotid mets or tumors, can you tell me more about what that felt like?

Should I bring it up with my doctors?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        miaka618
        Participant

Yes, you should definitely bring it up with your doctor. There are quite a few lymph nodes around the jaw. One of my positive lymph nodes was under the ear near the jaw bone. It's best to play it safe.

Good luck to you!

NSNewf
            Participant

I had a positive SNB in the left side of my neck. Subsequent surgery declared me NED.  While shaving a few months later I noticed swelling below right ear. Follow up with my ENT was determined to be a node that was always enlarged. Stay calm but follow up with doc

Amanda_3784
            Participant
              Yes, I had a parotid tumor removed. It was a hard lump on the left side of my face just in front of my ear. Started out small and grew rapidly.
              jrtufo
              Participant

Get yourself to the best ENT within driving distance.  ENTs see lots more parotid issues than dermatolagists or even general oncologists.  Mine was an annoying smaller than a pea size hard lump, until it wasn't.  It grew from pea sized to peach pit sized in about 12 weeks.  Even though it looked like a cyst on the scan and didn't show any evidence of problems with a needle biopsy my ENT wanted it out.  Thank Goodness!

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics