The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What can I do for a friend who has been recently diagnosed with melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community What can I do for a friend who has been recently diagnosed with melanoma?

Participant

I have a friend who just got diagnosed. They are being worked up in the next few weeks – scans, lymph node biopsies, etc. Stage is currently unknown. They are anxious and scared and the work up is over the next couple of weeks. They are tired of being looked at "as a cancer patient". I want to do something for them without overwhelming them with this new diagnosis. Any advice would be appreciated from anyone that has melanoma and could tell me what it was like being diagnosed and what I can do to help. Thank you. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hikeratheart
        Participant
          I will share what a dear friend did for me. She went with me my appt, took notes, waited for me during surgery, stayed over night the day of my surgery so I wasn’t alone, took the names of important people to call when I got out of surgery. I was so confused the first weeks, very much in crisis mode. She encouraged me to continue my routines, and checked on me often.
          learn what you can about mel, be present for her, I mean be really BE present. Don’t just say
          you will. A true friend is a treasure. I learned so much from her, and will hopefully have the opportunity to do the same for someone else.♡
          Kathy McC
          Hikeratheart
          Participant
            I will share what a dear friend did for me. She went with me my appt, took notes, waited for me during surgery, stayed over night the day of my surgery so I wasn’t alone, took the names of important people to call when I got out of surgery. I was so confused the first weeks, very much in crisis mode. She encouraged me to continue my routines, and checked on me often.
            learn what you can about mel, be present for her, I mean be really BE present. Don’t just say
            you will. A true friend is a treasure. I learned so much from her, and will hopefully have the opportunity to do the same for someone else.♡
            Kathy McC
            Hikeratheart
            Participant
              Kathy McC
              Hikeratheart
              Participant
                Kathy McC
                Hikeratheart
                Participant
                  Kathy McC
                  Hikeratheart
                  Participant
                    Kathy McC
                    mary1233
                    Participant

The first person I told (besides my husband) was my sister who used to be an oncology nurse. I come from a very large family and I mentioned to her that I dreaded having to communicate my situation over and over again. She asked if I wanted to assign her the job of keeping everyone informed of everything and I accepted her offer. It was not until quite a while later that I realized what a gift it was and how much that helped me.

I hope all the best for your friends. They are fortunate to have someone in their lives who not only wants to help, but wants to help effectively.

Mary

mary1233
                      Participant

The first person I told (besides my husband) was my sister who used to be an oncology nurse. I come from a very large family and I mentioned to her that I dreaded having to communicate my situation over and over again. She asked if I wanted to assign her the job of keeping everyone informed of everything and I accepted her offer. It was not until quite a while later that I realized what a gift it was and how much that helped me.

I hope all the best for your friends. They are fortunate to have someone in their lives who not only wants to help, but wants to help effectively.

Mary

mary1233
                        Participant

Mary

Bubbles
                          Participant

You are already a good cancer friend…since you went to the trouble to ask the question! I have been asked to answer this question many times. Your post encouraged me to write it down.  So…this one is for all the cancer friends out there:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/what-to-say-and-doand-notfor-cancer.html

Just my thoughts…but perhaps it will help. Wishing you and your friend my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

You are already a good cancer friend…since you went to the trouble to ask the question! I have been asked to answer this question many times. Your post encouraged me to write it down.  So…this one is for all the cancer friends out there:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/08/what-to-say-and-doand-notfor-cancer.html

Just my thoughts…but perhaps it will help. Wishing you and your friend my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics