The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What can early stage melanoma patients do to prevent recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community What can early stage melanoma patients do to prevent recurrence?

Participant

Hi all,

I read the board occasionally and always get frightened to see people with early stage melanomas progress.  Other than derm reviews 6 monthly, what else are people being recommended to do? I think followup varies in different centres.  I am wondering about having yearly chest Xrays, opthalmologist review of eyes, potentially bloods including liver function tests (although it would be fairly late in the piece to pick up any changes there). 

More importantly does anybody have a clear idea about what supplements may be helpful, versus harmful, versus not useful at all?

I have heard info around turmeric, ensuring vit d levels adequate (mine aren't despite living in a very sunny place), other supplements?  I am very unsure around this and would really appreciate any guidance from people who have looked into it.  I have been into the health shops and the turmeric is generally bound up with something else and I am not sure how it all ties in together.  I am in Australia so this may impact advice people may be able to give. 

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.  With two small children I need to optimise my body and ensure I do everything I can.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

that's always my question – when we have early stage melanoma, does the WLE cut it out in most cases, or is there always melanoma left in our bodies and it's just a matter of our immune systems keeping it in check?  if the latter, then I don't know why we're not offered any adjuvant therapy

JC
          Participant

that's always my question – when we have early stage melanoma, does the WLE cut it out in most cases, or is there always melanoma left in our bodies and it's just a matter of our immune systems keeping it in check?  if the latter, then I don't know why we're not offered any adjuvant therapy

JC
            Participant

hbecker
                Participant

I don't think there are definitive answers to your questions …

Since there's no way of knowing for sure whether micrometastases are left in the body after a WLE, the flip side must also be true – there's no way of knowing for sure whether the WLE cut it all out. Much as I hate to refer you to the statistics (being on the disadvantaged side of them), I think that's your only avenue of reassurance that "in most cases" early stage melanoma is completely cut out in the WLE. 

As for adjuvant therapies for early-stage melanoma patients, I don't think such things exsit yet. But much of the research into new treatments is focusing on vaccines that shore up the immune system, so perhaps after some time they will become routine.

Adjuvant therapies that exist now tend to be pretty nasty. You don't want to go through them unless you have a high-risk case (i.e., not early-stage).

Many months ago I started researching other, OTC therapies to boost the immune system (like curcumin) but I never got around to writing about it. Maybe now that my husband's participation in a vaccine trial is behind us I'll do the research again. I might be able to convince him to take something, or at least to use more turmeric in cooking every day. Never can tell … he does take Vitamin D to bring his levels up to the recommended range.

~Hazel

hbecker
                  Participant

Since there's no way of knowing for sure whether micrometastases are left in the body after a WLE, the flip side must also be true – there's no way of knowing for sure whether the WLE cut it all out. Much as I hate to refer you to the statistics (being on the disadvantaged side of them), I think that's your only avenue of reassurance that "in most cases" early stage melanoma is completely cut out in the WLE. 

As for adjuvant therapies for early-stage melanoma patients, I don't think such things exsit yet. But much of the research into new treatments is focusing on vaccines that shore up the immune system, so perhaps after some time they will become routine.

Adjuvant therapies that exist now tend to be pretty nasty. You don't want to go through them unless you have a high-risk case (i.e., not early-stage).

Many months ago I started researching other, OTC therapies to boost the immune system (like curcumin) but I never got around to writing about it. Maybe now that my husband's participation in a vaccine trial is behind us I'll do the research again. I might be able to convince him to take something, or at least to use more turmeric in cooking every day. Never can tell … he does take Vitamin D to bring his levels up to the recommended range.

~Hazel

hbecker
                    Participant

~Hazel

Janner
                    Participant

I've been around the melanoma world for a long time, and this board for over 10 years.  I've never seen any rhyme or reason to why MOST early stagers do not progress, but others do.  Can diet and supplements help?  I've seen those that eat extremely healthy, supplement and whatever progress and I've also seen those that do nothing in this realm progress.  I've never seen any patterns and more importantly, science hasn't discovered any patterns either.

I also think chest x-rays and bloodwork are pretty useless for stage I.  By time they are helpful, you're already stage IV and you will likely figure that out some other way.  Most early stagers don't progress directly to stage IV, but to stage III where lymph node involvement is easier to discover.

To me, the most important thing is to do what makes YOU feel in control.  If you feel that diet, supplements and the rest is what will give you some sense of control over the disease, that is reason enough to do it.  Being a cancer patient is all about losing control and we crave to feel like we have some control.  For me personally, I feel like sun safety, skin photographs and skin checks are the best.  I have a genetic defect for melanoma so am already a step in the wrong direction.  I'm not against supplements, but it always seems like this year they are good, then next year they are proved not to be of benefit.  It's a moving target.  But if taking VitD and Curcumin made sense to you, you should go there.  These are probably the ones I would choose if I went that route.  There is no protocol, no prescription, nothing defined to prevent you being one of those to have a recurrence.  It's something we all have to live with.  So do your research and do what gives you the sense of control you need to live life fully and not let melanoma rule it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

profgal43
                        Participant

Hi Leigh, I can definitely identify with your feelings of uncertainty. I am also early stage and seeking answers for future prevention. My situation is complicated and puzzling. I have had four Stage One Melanomas all below the knee on the front of my right  leg. I had two wide excised today. The docs say they are not " reoccurrences' but they don't  know why that area keeps growing melanomas and prob will in the future. Given the multiple occurrences. The doc is going to try a topical medication Imiquimod with me, it's experimental but if it works it'll be awesome.

Anyway, if you could use someone for support and to share info, I would be happy to send my email address.  Take care!! Karen

profgal43
                          Participant

Hi Leigh, I can definitely identify with your feelings of uncertainty. I am also early stage and seeking answers for future prevention. My situation is complicated and puzzling. I have had four Stage One Melanomas all below the knee on the front of my right  leg. I had two wide excised today. The docs say they are not " reoccurrences' but they don't  know why that area keeps growing melanomas and prob will in the future. Given the multiple occurrences. The doc is going to try a topical medication Imiquimod with me, it's experimental but if it works it'll be awesome.

Anyway, if you could use someone for support and to share info, I would be happy to send my email address.  Take care!! Karen

profgal43
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

I've been around the melanoma world for a long time, and this board for over 10 years.  I've never seen any rhyme or reason to why MOST early stagers do not progress, but others do.  Can diet and supplements help?  I've seen those that eat extremely healthy, supplement and whatever progress and I've also seen those that do nothing in this realm progress.  I've never seen any patterns and more importantly, science hasn't discovered any patterns either.

I also think chest x-rays and bloodwork are pretty useless for stage I.  By time they are helpful, you're already stage IV and you will likely figure that out some other way.  Most early stagers don't progress directly to stage IV, but to stage III where lymph node involvement is easier to discover.

To me, the most important thing is to do what makes YOU feel in control.  If you feel that diet, supplements and the rest is what will give you some sense of control over the disease, that is reason enough to do it.  Being a cancer patient is all about losing control and we crave to feel like we have some control.  For me personally, I feel like sun safety, skin photographs and skin checks are the best.  I have a genetic defect for melanoma so am already a step in the wrong direction.  I'm not against supplements, but it always seems like this year they are good, then next year they are proved not to be of benefit.  It's a moving target.  But if taking VitD and Curcumin made sense to you, you should go there.  These are probably the ones I would choose if I went that route.  There is no protocol, no prescription, nothing defined to prevent you being one of those to have a recurrence.  It's something we all have to live with.  So do your research and do what gives you the sense of control you need to live life fully and not let melanoma rule it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

bethwkiss
                                Participant

I understand all your questions as I was told stage 2b after my surgey Oct 2 2013 I scroll through the site looking for any answers I have my first petscan feb 26th after my surgery and really there is not much info on early stages as My doctor say he is sure he got it all I hold to that with hope that he did then was told wait and see now that being said I was sent a wonderful book that made a impression on me Macrobiotic Miracle By Virginia Brown with SusanStayman wonderful book from a woman who was stage 4 melanoma and only given 6 weeks to live needless to say she became cancer free with this diet see if you can find this book it was writin in 1984 I wish you luck and praying for you if you would like to chat at any time you can pm me so we can share info ๐Ÿ™‚

bethwkiss
                                  Participant

I understand all your questions as I was told stage 2b after my surgey Oct 2 2013 I scroll through the site looking for any answers I have my first petscan feb 26th after my surgery and really there is not much info on early stages as My doctor say he is sure he got it all I hold to that with hope that he did then was told wait and see now that being said I was sent a wonderful book that made a impression on me Macrobiotic Miracle By Virginia Brown with SusanStayman wonderful book from a woman who was stage 4 melanoma and only given 6 weeks to live needless to say she became cancer free with this diet see if you can find this book it was writin in 1984 I wish you luck and praying for you if you would like to chat at any time you can pm me so we can share info ๐Ÿ™‚

HelenQLD
                                      Participant

From the research I did, curcunim, vitamin d and sour sop (tea form), organic diet.

Mum was diagnosed Stage iv in September and told she wouldn't make it to Christmas,  She wasn't eligible for any treatment other than chemo (which nearly killed her).  She took curcunim, vitamin D and sour sop and she is still going strong.

Whether it works or not I don't know but she is beating the odds at the moment.

HelenQLD
                                        Participant

From the research I did, curcunim, vitamin d and sour sop (tea form), organic diet.

Mum was diagnosed Stage iv in September and told she wouldn't make it to Christmas,  She wasn't eligible for any treatment other than chemo (which nearly killed her).  She took curcunim, vitamin D and sour sop and she is still going strong.

JC
                                          Participant

what about aspirin?

JC
                                            Participant

what about aspirin?

JC
                                              Participant

what about aspirin?

HelenQLD
                                                Participant

bethwkiss
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics