The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

wgalinat – Warren Galinat

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community wgalinat – Warren Galinat

Participant

Hello to all of dad's fellow gladiator's…I wanted to extend the very sad news of my dad's passing to those who he has befriended over the years…

Hello to all of dad's fellow gladiator's…I wanted to extend the very sad news of my dad's passing to those who he has befriended over the years…

Firstly, I would like to say my father passed away melanoma free – so please do not be discouraged by this news.  Dad was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma (an extremely rare different form of skin cancer) last year and passed away February 16, 2012 – nine months later just shy of his 60th birthday.  Also know that you were his inspiration – others who fought the battle along side him – so my family thanks you and you will remain in our prayers. 

I wanted to share something that I wrote for my dad's service…

We have so much to celebrate today and be thankful for.  There was that moment when my wedding had started and it was just dad and I waiting in the bridal suite to walk down the aisle – honestly I don’t know who was more nervous.  When we got to the door of the church as they opened it he started making small talk, either to stop from crying or to stop from passing out.  After my first dance with my husband, and it was my dad’s turn he proclaimed to everyone that there would be no crazy spinning – but then he had everyone laughing as he successfully completed a spin or two of his own.  At the end of our wedding he drove with us over to the port were we were taking off for our honeymoon in the back of the car laughing and talking about how great the weeding was.  None of this would have been possible had he not won his major melanoma battle five years earlier.  God answered so many prayers for us.  Even in his final hours God was answering prayers – getting my mother and me out to him so the three of us could be there with him – holding his hand, surrounding him with love. 

He was an avid fighter for cancer patients.  When his battle first began with melanoma ten years ago, he signed into a melanoma community on-line bulletin board where he met many people over the years.  After his major battle with Stage 4 melanoma 5 years ago he was inspired by others fighting to write the story of his battle and exactly how he got to the point of “cured” or “NED” cancer lingo for No Evidence of Disease. 

He loved life so much…he loved his family so much and that’s what he fought for until the very end. 

My father’s story ended with these words…

"In closing I would like to quote the very courageous Jimmy Valvano from his speech during the 1993 ESPN ESPY Awards. He was pleading to his audience to give money for cancer research saying, “it may not save my life, but it may save your children’s life”. Stricken with tumors everywhere he struggled to stand before a huge crowd and the national television audience. As he focused in on the camera he said……

“Don’t ever give up. Don’t ever give up.” “Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It can not take away my mind, it can not take away my heart, and it can not take away my soul”.

Anything is still possible in my future. I have a good prospective on reality. One thing is for sure. I will never give up. I hope you never do either."

If we could all take away a part of my father to hold on to it forever, take this – don’t ever give up – when struggles come, keep fighting because the greatest things in life are worth the battle.  Family is the most important thing.  Take the time to be with your family – make the memories that will carry you through hard times.  And love life – find God’s blessings in the little things and be forever grateful for those moments. 

I am so thankful for the time I had with my dad – I will carry him with me forever – and until I see him again in heaven I know he's enjoying his permanent state of NED.

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        boot2aboot
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear this news…we just loved Warren…he was a LION-FEARLESS …we knew he had developed merkel, but honestly, i did not know that he was so sick from it-i was just BLIND and self absorbed with my own crap…I will MISS Warren…i didn't even get to go to LV and show him where my secret hot springs were…or get him backstage to some of the shows…

boots

Warrens Daughter
            Participant

Thank you! And don't feel bad – he was actually doing fairly well into the very end.  We took a big family trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of November and he moved himself into my brother's house just two weeks before. 

He did love living in Vegas! It kept him very busy with things to do. 

Warrens Daughter
              Participant

Thank you! And don't feel bad – he was actually doing fairly well into the very end.  We took a big family trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of November and he moved himself into my brother's house just two weeks before. 

Warrens Daughter
                Participant

boot2aboot
                Participant

I am so sorry to hear this news…we just loved Warren…he was a LION-FEARLESS …we knew he had developed merkel, but honestly, i did not know that he was so sick from it-i was just BLIND and self absorbed with my own crap…I will MISS Warren…i didn't even get to go to LV and show him where my secret hot springs were…or get him backstage to some of the shows…

boots

boot2aboot
                  Participant

boots

SoCalDave
                    Participant

So sorry to hear this news. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Dave

Warrens Daughter
                        Participant

Thank you Dave – we really appreciate that.

Warrens Daughter
                          Participant

Warrens Daughter
                            Participant

SoCalDave
                            Participant

So sorry to hear this news. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Dave

SoCalDave
                              Participant

Dave

WendyPam
                                Participant

I'm so sorry to hear of the your dad's passing. My Mom is Stage lV and it's hard as a caregiver. I thank your dad for the blog that he posted in regards  to his treatment. Even though I am newer to this board I have told people to read his positive blog.

I'm so happy that your dad got to share in one of the most special days of your life, your wedding! I remember him talking about you on his blog post that you live in Ft. Lauderdale so do I and my Mother.

I hope all of your great memories with your dad help you through this time. Take good care of yourself!

Hugs,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                  Participant

I'm so sorry to hear of the your dad's passing. My Mom is Stage lV and it's hard as a caregiver. I thank your dad for the blog that he posted in regards  to his treatment. Even though I am newer to this board I have told people to read his positive blog.

I'm so happy that your dad got to share in one of the most special days of your life, your wedding! I remember him talking about you on his blog post that you live in Ft. Lauderdale so do I and my Mother.

I hope all of your great memories with your dad help you through this time. Take good care of yourself!

Hugs,

Wendy

Warrens Daughter
                                      Participant

Thank you so much Wendy.  His positive attitude I think was the best medicine he ever gave himself.  He literally had that to the very end. 

I pray for you and your mom as you continue the fight. 

You live in Fort Lauderdale also?  If you ever need anything my email is [email protected] – or if you just want to get coffee one day ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                        Participant

Thank you so much Wendy.  His positive attitude I think was the best medicine he ever gave himself.  He literally had that to the very end. 

You live in Fort Lauderdale also?  If you ever need anything my email is [email protected] – or if you just want to get coffee one day ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                          Participant

Take care,

Nicole

WendyPam
                                          Participant

Hugs,

Wendy

lhaley
                                            Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Warren has passed away.  We started e-mailing occaisionally when Val entered the same trial at NIH. I know that Warren was very concerned when he developed Merkel Cell.

He has given so much hope on this board and I know he guided several on how to get into the TIL trial.  If possible every few months, if able you could re-post one of his posts about how he becomes NED with melanoma. I'm sure that it would help others and he would be smiling down that he is still able to be helpful.

Linda

lhaley
                                              Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Warren has passed away.  We started e-mailing occaisionally when Val entered the same trial at NIH. I know that Warren was very concerned when he developed Merkel Cell.

He has given so much hope on this board and I know he guided several on how to get into the TIL trial.  If possible every few months, if able you could re-post one of his posts about how he becomes NED with melanoma. I'm sure that it would help others and he would be smiling down that he is still able to be helpful.

Linda

Warrens Daughter
                                                  Participant

Thank you Linda.  And I think that is an excellent idea – I will do that.  That would certainly make him smile. 

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                    Participant

Thank you Linda.  And I think that is an excellent idea – I will do that.  That would certainly make him smile. 

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                      Participant

Nicole

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Linda

hope4cure1
                                                        Participant

You are an incredible testament to your father's strength, courage, and positive attitude.  My prayers are with you and your family as you cherish your dad's precious gifts to you, and learn to go forward in a way that would make him so proud.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                          Participant

You are an incredible testament to your father's strength, courage, and positive attitude.  My prayers are with you and your family as you cherish your dad's precious gifts to you, and learn to go forward in a way that would make him so proud.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                            Participant

Hope

Warrens Daughter
                                                                Participant

Thank you, Hope for your kind words.  We certainly appreciate the prayers.

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                  Participant

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                    Participant

Nicole

MeNDave
                                                                    Participant

I am so very saddened to hear of your dad's passing.  He has been such an inspiration to so many people here.  I hope you and your family find some peace.  He will be greatly missed here on the board. 

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                      Participant

I am so very saddened to hear of your dad's passing.  He has been such an inspiration to so many people here.  I hope you and your family find some peace.  He will be greatly missed here on the board. 

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                        Participant

Maria

Warrens Daughter
                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Maria.  He is greatly missed, that is for sure.  We hope to carry his spirit with us until we see him again in heaven.

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                              Participant

Thank you, Maria.  He is greatly missed, that is for sure.  We hope to carry his spirit with us until we see him again in heaven.

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                Participant

Nicole

dian in spokane
                                                                                Participant

ah! thank you for writing to us. Your father was an inspiration to many people here, and offered his help and advice to everyone.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                                                                                  Participant

ah! thank you for writing to us. Your father was an inspiration to many people here, and offered his help and advice to everyone.

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                                                                                    Participant

Dian in spokane

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                        Participant

Thank you, Dian.  He is our inspiration as well.  His will to fight was greater than I would have thought humanly possible – and he did it with such an amazing attitude.

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                          Participant

Thank you, Dian.  He is our inspiration as well.  His will to fight was greater than I would have thought humanly possible – and he did it with such an amazing attitude.

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                            Participant

Nicole

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                            Participant

My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow. Warren was truly inspirational to all those fighting late stage melanoma.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                              Participant

My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow. Warren was truly inspirational to all those fighting late stage melanoma.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Frank.  We really appreciate it. 

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                      Participant

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                        Participant

Fen
                                                                                                        Participant

I'm so sorry about your dad.  I know you and the rest of his family and friends will miss him, but we'll miss him on the board also.  His posts were both thoughtful and inspirational.  Please accept my deepest sympathy.  Thank you so much for posting the sad news.

Fen
                                                                                                          Participant

I'm so sorry about your dad.  I know you and the rest of his family and friends will miss him, but we'll miss him on the board also.  His posts were both thoughtful and inspirational.  Please accept my deepest sympathy.  Thank you so much for posting the sad news.

Fen
                                                                                                            Participant

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you, Fen.  It meant so much to him to be a part of this community – you all truly inspired him. 

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you, Fen.  It meant so much to him to be a part of this community – you all truly inspired him. 

Nicole

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                    Participant

Nicole

Sherron
                                                                                                                    Participant

He lives forever in your heart!  God Bless.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                                                                                                      Participant

Take Care,

Sherron
                                                                                                                        Participant

Take Care,

NYKaren
                                                                                                                            Participant

I am so sorry for the loss of a wonderful man and a wonderful father.

Be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                              Participant

Be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                Participant

Be well,

karen

Karin L
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I am so sorry. His blog picture always made me smile.  May your greatest of memories comfort you and your family.

(((hugs)))

Karin

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Karin for your kind words ๐Ÿ™‚

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Karin L
                                                                                                                                          Participant

I am so sorry. His blog picture always made me smile.  May your greatest of memories comfort you and your family.

(((hugs)))

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                                                            Participant

(((hugs)))

Karin

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Thank you, Karen.  He was a wonderful man, and the best father one could ask for. 

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you, Karen.  He was a wonderful man, and the best father one could ask for. 

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Amen!

Thank you, Sherron

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Amen!

Thank you, Sherron

Warrens Daughter
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Amen!

Thank you, Sherron

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

i'm so sorry to hear about warren's passing.  i've known warren since our days at marriott, my last communication with him was in january.  he was amazing and i will continue to gain so much strength from him.  he was such a good man.

becky

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

i'm so sorry to hear about warren's passing.  i've known warren since our days at marriott, my last communication with him was in january.  he was amazing and i will continue to gain so much strength from him.  he was such a good man.

becky

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

becky

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

becky

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

becky

gateswine
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

becky

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics