The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Weight Gain

Forums General Melanoma Community Weight Gain

Participant
      My husband is stage 4 but is currently not doing treatment. He’s not had any treatments in several months. He’s unable to eat very much and doesn’t have an appetite what so ever. For some reason he’s been gaining weight. We aren’t sure what would be causing this and his dr’s aren’t quite sure either. He’s not on any steroids or any medicine that has a side effect of weight gain. He tries to eat but has a lot of stomach pain so therefore he just doesn’t eat due to that and the loss of appetite. Has anyone ever experienced this or know what would call the weight gain?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I have had pretty significant weight gain from Opodivo. It is possible he still gaining weight from previous treatments.
          jjanekroll1
          Participant
            I have had 15 infusions with Opdivo now; the treatment had no side effects initially but gradually i feel more bloated. As a weightlifter and athlete, gaining muscle weight is fine but bloat is not helpful and extremely uncomfortable. I have been eating small amounts throughout the day, mostly fat based like nuts and seeds, that help with inflammation. Several times a day, i also have 1/2 lemon juiced with water and ginger tea as well. The herbs peppermint, ginger, fennel, cinnamon bark and rose hip (can be found in teas for digestion) are also beneficial. Lastly, ensure that he stays away from foods that promote inflammation, especially high sugar (or any sugar). Reishi and cordyceps mushrooms are also helpful!
            Debbiem
            Participant
              Thank you for posting this! I’ve gained so much weight since starting Opdivo and tried to manage it with exercise and diet but it doesn’t help. So far the doctors have no medical reason for it except for possibly inflammation. I would love to hear any ways to counter this side effect.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics