The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Website Feedback on Social Media Toolbar

Forums General Melanoma Community Website Feedback on Social Media Toolbar

Participant

Is anyone else finding the new "social media toolbar" (buttons to post to Facebook, Twitter, etc.) that's been appearing on the left-hand side of the site for the past several days or more to be extremely distracting and disruptive?  I know that I'm sometimes using my older laptop with 1024×768 resolution, but that isn't an unheard of resolution, even today, and the toolbar encroaches and overlaps some of the text down the left side of the page.  And frankly, I don't think it's necessary or wise to make it so easy to quickly share the posts, specifically here from MPIP over to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.  

I'm using Chrome, but I see the same thing in Internet Explorer.  The bar appears to run along the bottom of the page in Safari on my iPad, but when I'm writing a post, it pops up in the middle of the page where I'm typing, so it's even more disruptive there.

I don't know if there are site moderators or administrators who might be reading this, but is there any way to at least get rid of the toolbar completely within MPIP?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hi Joe,

I agree this bar that you mentioned should not be on here and it is always in the way.

Since it never used to be here and now is only a bother or distraction.

Maybe Tim can enlighten us or Shelly, if they see this post.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Gene_S
          Participant

Hi Joe,

I agree this bar that you mentioned should not be on here and it is always in the way.

Gene_S
            Participant

Hi Joe,

kylez
              Participant

Tim et al, 

While we're at it, the Find a Melanoma Treatment Center is broken right now on every platform I've tried it.

kylez
                Participant

Tim et al, 

While we're at it, the Find a Melanoma Treatment Center is broken right now on every platform I've tried it.

kylez
                  Participant

Tim et al, 

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

AGREE.  The bottom of the page is taken up.  We have to page down from the top to even get to the posts, so much space is taken up at the top as well.  Then after posting something, we have to go to the top and then go down again to get to the Return to BB button.  To much of a bother!

kylez
                        Participant

On a cell phone screen the social media icons really take up a lot of space.

kylez
                          Participant

kylez
                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

AGREE.  The bottom of the page is taken up.  We have to page down from the top to even get to the posts, so much space is taken up at the top as well.  Then after posting something, we have to go to the top and then go down again to get to the Return to BB button.  To much of a bother!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Tim–MRF

Couple of comments on this.  We added the bar on the left to make it easier for people to share pages on the web with their network. On my screen, both on a tablet and a laptop, the bar is well clear of any text and doesn't infringe on or change anything about the text I see in posts or on other sites.. Hearing that for some of you it does encroach is news and something we need to consider.  Thanks for the heads up on this.

Also, the tool for finding a treatment center has been glitchy lately.  We are working with the vendor to try to fix this but they have had a change in personnel and that has slowed things down.  Hopefully will have that up and running soon.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Couple of comments on this.  We added the bar on the left to make it easier for people to share pages on the web with their network. On my screen, both on a tablet and a laptop, the bar is well clear of any text and doesn't infringe on or change anything about the text I see in posts or on other sites.. Hearing that for some of you it does encroach is news and something we need to consider.  Thanks for the heads up on this.

Also, the tool for finding a treatment center has been glitchy lately.  We are working with the vendor to try to fix this but they have had a change in personnel and that has slowed things down.  Hopefully will have that up and running soon.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

RJoeyB
                                        Participant

Thanks for the reply and explanation Tim.  On my main PC with a wide screen resolution, it isn't an issue either, but I sometimes hop on an older laptop with a lower resolution where it's a problem.  Again, granted, it's older, but 1024×768 isn't unheard of and a relatively common resolution for folks who might be on netbooks or other similar devices.  Not sure why it happens on my iPad, it's inconsistent, but when it occurs I have to minimize and then reopen the keyboard, otherwise the toolbar banner appears on top of what I'm trying to type.

I also understand the desire by some to share links via social media and I know that what I post here is not private in any way, plus I have the option of posting here anonymously if I desire.  However, I'm not completely comfortable with just anyone being able to conveniently tweet something I write here out for the world to see.  It's not going to drive me away from the site, just a personal preference about how I've chosen to communicate with others about my disease and situation.  Again, that could just be me, and I do appreciate the efforts you're making to enhance the experience for others and for taking the time to reply and look at the "encroachment" issue.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                          Participant

Thanks for the reply and explanation Tim.  On my main PC with a wide screen resolution, it isn't an issue either, but I sometimes hop on an older laptop with a lower resolution where it's a problem.  Again, granted, it's older, but 1024×768 isn't unheard of and a relatively common resolution for folks who might be on netbooks or other similar devices.  Not sure why it happens on my iPad, it's inconsistent, but when it occurs I have to minimize and then reopen the keyboard, otherwise the toolbar banner appears on top of what I'm trying to type.

I also understand the desire by some to share links via social media and I know that what I post here is not private in any way, plus I have the option of posting here anonymously if I desire.  However, I'm not completely comfortable with just anyone being able to conveniently tweet something I write here out for the world to see.  It's not going to drive me away from the site, just a personal preference about how I've chosen to communicate with others about my disease and situation.  Again, that could just be me, and I do appreciate the efforts you're making to enhance the experience for others and for taking the time to reply and look at the "encroachment" issue.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                            Participant

Joe

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Thank you Tim for checking this out and giving us some information.

The bar on the left is right in the middle of my page and I have to reply or read below it because it comes out to far and otherwise blocks the first words.  It was gone for a short while after you replied on here but I see it is back.

I have tried on 3 different desk top computers and have this problem on all three.

Gene_S
                                                Participant

The bar on the left is right in the middle of my page and I have to reply or read below it because it comes out to far and otherwise blocks the first words.  It was gone for a short while after you replied on here but I see it is back.

I have tried on 3 different desk top computers and have this problem on all three.

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Tim–MRF

We have removed the social media bar from the MPIP pages, so hopefully that resolves the problem. I do notice, though, that it pops in while typing a reply. Hopefully we can fix that as well in short order.

Please keep the input and suggestions coming. We can't do everything that is requested–some things are not possible and some things are just a difference of perspective from various users–but we do want to keep improving this resource.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

We have removed the social media bar from the MPIP pages, so hopefully that resolves the problem. I do notice, though, that it pops in while typing a reply. Hopefully we can fix that as well in short order.

Please keep the input and suggestions coming. We can't do everything that is requested–some things are not possible and some things are just a difference of perspective from various users–but we do want to keep improving this resource.

Tim–MRF

RJoeyB
                                                        Participant

Thanks again Tim for the quick response.  The site is a terrific resource, made all that much better by the fact that you are listening and responding to the users in a timely fashion.  I started "lurking" not long after my Stage IV diagnosis 4 years ago.  We've been through much and still have much ahead, but for whatever reason, I finally felt ready just over the past couple of months to participate here more actively and perhaps give back in some small way by sharing my own experiences — it's been rewarding to be able to join the conversation.  Please know your efforts are appreciated.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                                          Participant

Thanks again Tim for the quick response.  The site is a terrific resource, made all that much better by the fact that you are listening and responding to the users in a timely fashion.  I started "lurking" not long after my Stage IV diagnosis 4 years ago.  We've been through much and still have much ahead, but for whatever reason, I finally felt ready just over the past couple of months to participate here more actively and perhaps give back in some small way by sharing my own experiences — it's been rewarding to be able to join the conversation.  Please know your efforts are appreciated.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                                            Participant

Joe

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics