The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WEbMD – Cancer fighting foods

Forums General Melanoma Community WEbMD – Cancer fighting foods

• Replies
      JC
      Participant

is this to fight getting cancer in the first place. . or also if you already have/had it, helps to prevent recurrence/metastasis?

JC
        Participant

is this to fight getting cancer in the first place. . or also if you already have/had it, helps to prevent recurrence/metastasis?

JC
          Participant

Webbie73
              Participant
                Here is my take on diet preventing cancer. It can’t hurt but a healthy diet will not cure cancer or prevent you from getting cancer. In my personal opinion we are fighting genes.
                Webbie73
                Participant
                  Here is my take on diet preventing cancer. It can’t hurt but a healthy diet will not cure cancer or prevent you from getting cancer. In my personal opinion we are fighting genes.
                  Webbie73
                  Participant
                  JC
                  Participant

As far as genes, I don't feel my genes would have done this were it not for the sunburns I had as a kid. But, also, if our immune systems can fight it, wouldn't the foods we eat help our immune system be stronger to do that? 

Webbie73
                      Participant
                        Following that logic, wouldn’t the healthy diet keep you from getting melanoma in the first place or other cancers?

I just hate reading things like”eat a good diet and no cancer” articles. You can do all the right things in life and still get cancer. LOL we should be eating a healthy diet anyway.

Webbie73
                        Participant
                          Following that logic, wouldn’t the healthy diet keep you from getting melanoma in the first place or other cancers?

I just hate reading things like”eat a good diet and no cancer” articles. You can do all the right things in life and still get cancer. LOL we should be eating a healthy diet anyway.

Webbie73
                          Participant

islandbreeze
                            Participant

I just read yall's conversation..and thats what everybody says oh just eat right ,eat the immune building foods and the cancer will go away..gee not even getting knowledge about it & just believe what others say and take it as the gospel truth,thats how it is on the island i live,more people have died of cancer on this little island over the past 10 years.Money couldnt save them,eating right couldnt save them.My aunt passed away a year ago.She was a woman that ate all the right healthy foods,the homeopathic foods and meds,exercised..many years she lived this way..until her leg began to hurt and the doctors sent her to florida where she found out she had a tumor on her thigh and lung cancer,they say the lung cancer come from the radiation from having mammograms[is this right?}cause she never smoked.  they wanted to begin chemo and when they told her that she couldnt be aroiund her grandchildren with germs cause it would threaten her health rather immune system..she decided to go to hippocrates health institute  and eat greens and stuff she lived 18 months longer then the chemo doctors said she would but she was miserable she wanted to eat bahamian foods and shed cry over all that..im saying all this to point out..that she spent thousands on her health all my life of knowing her and she be's the one to get cancer and die..cancer is no respector of persons..we just got to deal with it the best we can and believe me I know it isnt easy…if i wasnt on anti depressants i would have done gone crazy..

islandbreeze
                              Participant

I just read yall's conversation..and thats what everybody says oh just eat right ,eat the immune building foods and the cancer will go away..gee not even getting knowledge about it & just believe what others say and take it as the gospel truth,thats how it is on the island i live,more people have died of cancer on this little island over the past 10 years.Money couldnt save them,eating right couldnt save them.My aunt passed away a year ago.She was a woman that ate all the right healthy foods,the homeopathic foods and meds,exercised..many years she lived this way..until her leg began to hurt and the doctors sent her to florida where she found out she had a tumor on her thigh and lung cancer,they say the lung cancer come from the radiation from having mammograms[is this right?}cause she never smoked.  they wanted to begin chemo and when they told her that she couldnt be aroiund her grandchildren with germs cause it would threaten her health rather immune system..she decided to go to hippocrates health institute  and eat greens and stuff she lived 18 months longer then the chemo doctors said she would but she was miserable she wanted to eat bahamian foods and shed cry over all that..im saying all this to point out..that she spent thousands on her health all my life of knowing her and she be's the one to get cancer and die..cancer is no respector of persons..we just got to deal with it the best we can and believe me I know it isnt easy…if i wasnt on anti depressants i would have done gone crazy..

islandbreeze
                                Participant

swissfarm7
                                  Participant

"I just hate reading things like "eat a good diet and no cancer articles.  You can do all the right things in life and still get cancer. LOL we should be eating a healthy diet anyway."

Agreed.  We operate an organic farm and eat an all-organic diet that's heavily plant-based.  Now that Hans, my husband, has cancer, you can imagine the reactions from those who think we're wack-o for eating as we do.  Basically, "See?  It doesn't do any good anyway!"  On the other end of the spectrum, our well-intentioned crunchy friends and acquaintances think more of this or that food will magically melt the cancer away. 

Bottom line, eat a diet focused on healthy, sustainably-produced foods.  Do it for yourself, your family, your community, your planet.  But accept that even with all our good intentions, life may throw you a curve ball.

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                    Participant

"I just hate reading things like "eat a good diet and no cancer articles.  You can do all the right things in life and still get cancer. LOL we should be eating a healthy diet anyway."

Agreed.  We operate an organic farm and eat an all-organic diet that's heavily plant-based.  Now that Hans, my husband, has cancer, you can imagine the reactions from those who think we're wack-o for eating as we do.  Basically, "See?  It doesn't do any good anyway!"  On the other end of the spectrum, our well-intentioned crunchy friends and acquaintances think more of this or that food will magically melt the cancer away. 

Bottom line, eat a diet focused on healthy, sustainably-produced foods.  Do it for yourself, your family, your community, your planet.  But accept that even with all our good intentions, life may throw you a curve ball.

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                      Participant

Warmly,

Colleen

JC
                                      Participant

As far as genes, I don't feel my genes would have done this were it not for the sunburns I had as a kid. But, also, if our immune systems can fight it, wouldn't the foods we eat help our immune system be stronger to do that? 

JC
                                        Participant

Jim M.
                                          Participant

Hi Jerry,

I haven't been here for awhile. I appreciate you posting this information. Since I was diagnosed I changed my eating habits and believe nutritious eating to be one of the most important home treatments we can do. Numerous books point out how these and other foods fight cancer. I'm not as strict as I was but why would I want to eat unhealthy foods that weaken my immune system and give cancer a foothold?

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                            Participant

Hi Jerry,

I haven't been here for awhile. I appreciate you posting this information. Since I was diagnosed I changed my eating habits and believe nutritious eating to be one of the most important home treatments we can do. Numerous books point out how these and other foods fight cancer. I'm not as strict as I was but why would I want to eat unhealthy foods that weaken my immune system and give cancer a foothold?

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                              Participant

Hi Jerry,

God Bless,

Jim M.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics