The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WBR and STR

Forums General Melanoma Community WBR and STR

I am wondering about side effects of the STR. I have been wheelchair bound ever since the
    WBR the middle of of March.
    I begin the linac treatment (STR) this week, 5-10 doses. My left foot does not cooperate at ALL!

I want to fly to Seattle. Anybody out there who has regained use of their limbs?

Basically I am wanting to know length of recovery time after STR.
    Am I crazy?

Shelly
    There is no will but God’s will. Today I seek his peace.

I am wondering about side effects of the STR. I have been wheelchair bound ever since the
    WBR the middle of of March.
    I begin the linac treatment (STR) this week, 5-10 doses. My left foot does not cooperate at ALL!

I want to fly to Seattle. Anybody out there who has regained use of their limbs?

Basically I am wanting to know length of recovery time after STR.
    Am I crazy?

Shelly
    There is no will but God’s will. Today I seek his peace.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Replies
      nickmac56
      Participant

My wife had STR (Cyberknife) here in Seattle (5 sessions each 45 minutes) through Swedish Hospital Radiaology Center. This was a mop up operation after brain surgery for two tumors, in which she lost function of a variety of cognitive things  – from a physical perspective only losss of right peripheral vision.

The Cyberknife treatent itself was very easy, calm, no pain. The after-effects for her were awful.  First, she had a series of grand mal seizures due to brain inflammation and ended up in the ICU for five days. Even though she was on 4mg of steroids per day. They had her up to 8 mgs of steroids per day for two weeks after the seizures, now she is back to 4mg. But she is also on three differtent anti-seizure meds – and they and the combo suck. They make her fuzzy, forgetful, highly emotional and somewhat more cognitively impaired. So I would definitely discuss the possiblity of seizures based on irritation of the brain at the radiation target site. They did go after additional margin from the surgery, so it is also possible that some of these effects are related to brain loss and not the meds.

And she is losing her hair in the areas of radiation concentration, basically the whole back half of her head. This ocurred about three weeks after her final treatment. Her head was already shorn after her brain surgery but was growing back. But where it has fallen out it is smooth as a babies butt, so this morning I gave her another buzz cut so it doesn't look as funky. But she has pulled out her wig and is wearing it.

For the five days between her STR treatment and her seizures she was fine. There was no "recovery". She walked, ate, slept well – minor headache for a few days. She even underwent day surgery to remove two skin tumors on her back and tummy. So if all goes well, it realy is a piece of cake treatment and recovery. But you will probably lose your hair in patches.

Hope this helps.  Good luck,

Nick

Being stuck here inSwitzerland really sucks! 

I had seizures also after the WBR and tumor bleeding. I am on 16 mg of steroids as well as keppra.   it sounds like a lot.  I don't have much time after the STR to recover before we are supposed to fly to Seattle, maybe one week. They will either do 5 zaps or 10, depending on tolerabilty I assume. 

Thanks for the reply.  I pray that your wife is doing well.

Love and light,

Shelly

Being stuck here inSwitzerland really sucks! 

I had seizures also after the WBR and tumor bleeding. I am on 16 mg of steroids as well as keppra.   it sounds like a lot.  I don't have much time after the STR to recover before we are supposed to fly to Seattle, maybe one week. They will either do 5 zaps or 10, depending on tolerabilty I assume. 

Thanks for the reply.  I pray that your wife is doing well.

Love and light,

Shelly

nickmac56
        Participant

My wife had STR (Cyberknife) here in Seattle (5 sessions each 45 minutes) through Swedish Hospital Radiaology Center. This was a mop up operation after brain surgery for two tumors, in which she lost function of a variety of cognitive things  – from a physical perspective only losss of right peripheral vision.

The Cyberknife treatent itself was very easy, calm, no pain. The after-effects for her were awful.  First, she had a series of grand mal seizures due to brain inflammation and ended up in the ICU for five days. Even though she was on 4mg of steroids per day. They had her up to 8 mgs of steroids per day for two weeks after the seizures, now she is back to 4mg. But she is also on three differtent anti-seizure meds – and they and the combo suck. They make her fuzzy, forgetful, highly emotional and somewhat more cognitively impaired. So I would definitely discuss the possiblity of seizures based on irritation of the brain at the radiation target site. They did go after additional margin from the surgery, so it is also possible that some of these effects are related to brain loss and not the meds.

And she is losing her hair in the areas of radiation concentration, basically the whole back half of her head. This ocurred about three weeks after her final treatment. Her head was already shorn after her brain surgery but was growing back. But where it has fallen out it is smooth as a babies butt, so this morning I gave her another buzz cut so it doesn't look as funky. But she has pulled out her wig and is wearing it.

For the five days between her STR treatment and her seizures she was fine. There was no "recovery". She walked, ate, slept well – minor headache for a few days. She even underwent day surgery to remove two skin tumors on her back and tummy. So if all goes well, it realy is a piece of cake treatment and recovery. But you will probably lose your hair in patches.

Hope this helps.  Good luck,

Nick

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics