The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Watch and Wait

Forums General Melanoma Community Watch and Wait

Participant

Is anyone doing watch and wait after having brain mets 

is not logistically going to work to get to MD Anderson in the next few weeks as my husband is retiring on Friday and we don't won't have a home city to fly out of. Our condo in Seattle got sold and we're in hotels. I was thinking I had two months to get started but my Oncologist said no and said she would suggest close monitoring 

yikes

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        snow white
        Participant

Brain mets scare me.  Melanoma grows fast.  i always think with any cancer that time is of the essence.

Just my opinion.

vickiaa0529
            Participant

I just can't make it from Seattle to Houston in 2 weeks we have too much to wrap up 

vickiaa0529
              Participant

I just can't make it from Seattle to Houston in 2 weeks we have too much to wrap up 

vickiaa0529
                Participant

snow white
                Participant

Brain mets scare me.  Melanoma grows fast.  i always think with any cancer that time is of the essence.

Just my opinion.

snow white
                  Participant

Just my opinion.

Johnjk04
                    Participant

If I had to put it on a scale  wrapping it up w/ my life on the other side. I feel my life would outweigh everything

else.

Johnjk04
                      Participant

If I had to put it on a scale  wrapping it up w/ my life on the other side. I feel my life would outweigh everything

else.

vickiaa0529
                          Participant

We may make it! We didn't realize we had to be back in 2 weeks we thought I had to decide by two weeks 

craziness but it's getting better  

thanks

vickiaa0529
                            Participant

We may make it! We didn't realize we had to be back in 2 weeks we thought I had to decide by two weeks 

thanks

vickiaa0529
                              Participant

thanks

Johnjk04
                              Participant

else.

Bubbles
                                Participant

Sorry, Vicki. Hope things become more settled for you very soon! C

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                    Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                      Participant

Vicki…. glad to see your final post that you "may make it". From my personal experience, and that of Jennifer's dad (snowwhite), brain tumors are nothing to watch and wait. Neither I, nor her dad, waited on treatment, and yet still cropped up nearly double the initial number of lesions by the time the high resolution MRI was done, just minutes prior to radiation. Brain metastasis is super frightening, because the little buggers can be there with absolutely ZERO symptoms. I had 40 of them (over a 2 year span), and only ONE ever gave me any neurological indication that it was there. I understand that it comes at an incredibly poor time for you… but this is the kind of thing that can literally kill you. 

cancersnewnormal
                                        Participant

Vicki…. glad to see your final post that you "may make it". From my personal experience, and that of Jennifer's dad (snowwhite), brain tumors are nothing to watch and wait. Neither I, nor her dad, waited on treatment, and yet still cropped up nearly double the initial number of lesions by the time the high resolution MRI was done, just minutes prior to radiation. Brain metastasis is super frightening, because the little buggers can be there with absolutely ZERO symptoms. I had 40 of them (over a 2 year span), and only ONE ever gave me any neurological indication that it was there. I understand that it comes at an incredibly poor time for you… but this is the kind of thing that can literally kill you. 

cancersnewnormal
                                          Participant

Polymath
                                            Participant

Hi Vicki,

Although I may not understand all the details, MD Anderson is not the only game in town.  I would think you could get GK in Seattle.  In fact when I was looking into Proton Beam radiation therapy it turned out Seattle was one two top centers for that very advanced form of radiation.  I would think there would be local options for you.

Gary

Polymath
                                              Participant

Hi Vicki,

Although I may not understand all the details, MD Anderson is not the only game in town.  I would think you could get GK in Seattle.  In fact when I was looking into Proton Beam radiation therapy it turned out Seattle was one two top centers for that very advanced form of radiation.  I would think there would be local options for you.

Gary

Polymath
                                                  Participant

oops, Sorry, I just saw an older post and realized you already treated the brain mets.  In that case, it would seem 2-weeks is not that long before starting another treatment.

Gary

Polymath
                                                    Participant

oops, Sorry, I just saw an older post and realized you already treated the brain mets.  In that case, it would seem 2-weeks is not that long before starting another treatment.

Gary

vickiaa0529
                                                      Participant

Thanks Gary

i start ipi on 11/1 or 3 

Not sure of the logistics but I'll be there

vickiaa0529
                                                        Participant

Thanks Gary

i start ipi on 11/1 or 3 

vickiaa0529
                                                          Participant

Thanks Gary

i start ipi on 11/1 or 3 

Polymath
                                                            Participant

Gary

Polymath
                                                            Participant

Hi Vicki,

Gary

vickiaa0529
                                                              Participant

Just heard from MDA I start ipi 11/1 or 11/3

i have to drop my Boomer dog off with friends in Austin on 10/26 I hope we get there in time

Thanks for putting up with my freak out!!

vickiaa0529
                                                                Participant

i have to drop my Boomer dog off with friends in Austin on 10/26 I hope we get there in time

Polymath
                                                                    Participant

Vicki,

Good for you, and adding immunotherapy in conjunction with radiation appears to have a synergistic effect. You might inquire about doing anti PD-1 instead of ipi.  Celeste's blog has info on the response rates and doing pembro or nivo prior to ipi has a significantly higher overall response rate and generally fewer side-effects.  Best in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                      Participant

Vicki,

Good for you, and adding immunotherapy in conjunction with radiation appears to have a synergistic effect. You might inquire about doing anti PD-1 instead of ipi.  Celeste's blog has info on the response rates and doing pembro or nivo prior to ipi has a significantly higher overall response rate and generally fewer side-effects.  Best in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                        Participant

Vicki,

Gary

vickiaa0529
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics