The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Watch and Wait”

Forums General Melanoma Community “Watch and Wait”

Participant

ALOHA!

Greetings from the sunshine state.

ALOHA!

Greetings from the sunshine state.

Does anyone know a good dermatologist in Ohau? I am having an issue with mine. I have had one primary, stage 2, 42 years ago. My appts are now once a year. I have not had another primary since my first mel. Knock on wood. My last dermatologist was very aggressive with my care and I was with him 22 years before he retired. Now, my new dermatologist is a "wait and watch" type of guy. My last dermatologist did at least 4-5 biopsies a visit, this guy, has not yet done one. I am not a huge fan of this "wait and watch" type of thing. I would hate to wait and having something turn invasive before I saw him next.  Is this a new type of practice? My last guy was a little old school. This guy used a flash light and even inspects between my cheeks! Poor guy. I have no idea what he wants to see in there, but it can't be pretty.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        paul
        Participant

Aloha mai,

I see Dr. Joseph McKindlay (528-1717) and would recommend him enthusiastically. He's proactive, thorough, and great about getting back with results of biopsies.

Paul

paul
          Participant

Aloha mai,

I see Dr. Joseph McKindlay (528-1717) and would recommend him enthusiastically. He's proactive, thorough, and great about getting back with results of biopsies.

Paul

paul
            Participant

Aloha mai,

Paul

Janner
              Participant

You realize that only about 8% of the melanoma population will ever have a second melanoma primary?  Do you have tons of dysplastic nevi (atypical moles)?  I'd suggest taking photos of your moles and only biopsying those that change.  I'd also remove the moles that bother you (gut feeling).  Other than that, I personally do "watch and wait" and only remove those that change.  I don't care for unnecessary biopsies myself.  YOU need to do what makes YOU the most comfortable, not your derm or anyone else!

Aloha,

Janner

Stage I since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Janner
                Participant

You realize that only about 8% of the melanoma population will ever have a second melanoma primary?  Do you have tons of dysplastic nevi (atypical moles)?  I'd suggest taking photos of your moles and only biopsying those that change.  I'd also remove the moles that bother you (gut feeling).  Other than that, I personally do "watch and wait" and only remove those that change.  I don't care for unnecessary biopsies myself.  YOU need to do what makes YOU the most comfortable, not your derm or anyone else!

Aloha,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Aloha,

Janner

Taiyla
                    Participant

I don't know a good dermatologist in Ohau but I would definitely get rid of watch and wait. If that would have been the case with me I would have had full blow melanoma rather that having my dr. who caught it early. She does 2-3 biopsy's every 3 months and sure enough they were all Clarks or the beginnings of melanoma even though they didn't even look suspicious. Even my melanoma's didn't look suspicious. She has told me I need to be checked consistantly every 3 months for the rest of my life. I am 55 and was diagnosed last year. I would much rather be safe and have biopsies than sorry. Then the doc just goes oops missed that.  I have dealt with undiagnosed lyme disease for 12 yrs. I certainly don't want to miss a melanoma. Find a different doc.

Taiyla
                      Participant

I don't know a good dermatologist in Ohau but I would definitely get rid of watch and wait. If that would have been the case with me I would have had full blow melanoma rather that having my dr. who caught it early. She does 2-3 biopsy's every 3 months and sure enough they were all Clarks or the beginnings of melanoma even though they didn't even look suspicious. Even my melanoma's didn't look suspicious. She has told me I need to be checked consistantly every 3 months for the rest of my life. I am 55 and was diagnosed last year. I would much rather be safe and have biopsies than sorry. Then the doc just goes oops missed that.  I have dealt with undiagnosed lyme disease for 12 yrs. I certainly don't want to miss a melanoma. Find a different doc.

Taiyla
                        Participant

Rochester_Mike
                          Participant

I agree with the mind set of "wait and see", which is the program I am on now.

Although I'm in the doctors office twice a year for the skin exam, I have no interest in just waiting for another mole to turn on me – then to have another large scar on my body.

I'd much rather have a few small marks from the mole removal in advance. I'd like to find another doctor that's more willing to biopsy.

I am in upstate (rochester) NY.

Rochester_Mike
                              Participant

I meant to say "I disagree" with the watch and wait mind set….

Rochester_Mike
                                Participant

Rochester_Mike
                                  Participant

Rochester_Mike
                                  Participant

Although I'm in the doctors office twice a year for the skin exam, I have no interest in just waiting for another mole to turn on me – then to have another large scar on my body.

I'd much rather have a few small marks from the mole removal in advance. I'd like to find another doctor that's more willing to biopsy.

Rochester_Mike
                                    Participant

MichaelFL
                                      Participant

So how many biopsies have you had over the last 42 years that turned out to be benign?

Watch and wait is a term used for stage three patients. I am sure you are aware that the term applied to the ABCD's of melanoma are to watch for "change" in moles.

Not sure I understand why after 42 years you have become more concerned even after switching derms, as the chances of having another melanoma are about 8%. So at 42 years out at stage 2 you should certainly count your blessings.

MichaelFL
                                        Participant

So how many biopsies have you had over the last 42 years that turned out to be benign?

Watch and wait is a term used for stage three patients. I am sure you are aware that the term applied to the ABCD's of melanoma are to watch for "change" in moles.

Not sure I understand why after 42 years you have become more concerned even after switching derms, as the chances of having another melanoma are about 8%. So at 42 years out at stage 2 you should certainly count your blessings.

MichaelFL
                                          Participant

patinkerbell2011
                                            Participant

Hello their! Your subject had caught my eye of  "Watch and Wait" and I couldn't agree with you more!!!! I had the same sorta exerience with a surgeon who wanted to do the same until my mother and I insisted on having the nodule in my small intestine surgically removed! Guess what…..it was 3 TIMES LARGER and 4 new nodules popped up!!!!! I NEVER agree with the "Watch and Wait" method as Melanoma is an extremely rapid spreading and cancer with a mind of it's own! I firmly believe that I am still alive due to the fact that I have been so aggressive with my treatment and have not fooled around nor waited. I just found out last Wednesday that my Stage 4 Melanoma has returned and you can believe me when I say that I have a PET/CT scan scheduled for tomorrow and Wed.(day before Thanksgiving) I have an appt. ith my oncologist to go over the reults. I wish you all the best and may we keep each other in our prayers : ) 

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                              Participant

Hello their! Your subject had caught my eye of  "Watch and Wait" and I couldn't agree with you more!!!! I had the same sorta exerience with a surgeon who wanted to do the same until my mother and I insisted on having the nodule in my small intestine surgically removed! Guess what…..it was 3 TIMES LARGER and 4 new nodules popped up!!!!! I NEVER agree with the "Watch and Wait" method as Melanoma is an extremely rapid spreading and cancer with a mind of it's own! I firmly believe that I am still alive due to the fact that I have been so aggressive with my treatment and have not fooled around nor waited. I just found out last Wednesday that my Stage 4 Melanoma has returned and you can believe me when I say that I have a PET/CT scan scheduled for tomorrow and Wed.(day before Thanksgiving) I have an appt. ith my oncologist to go over the reults. I wish you all the best and may we keep each other in our prayers : ) 

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                                Participant

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics