The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wary of Splitting WLE Stitches

Forums General Melanoma Community Wary of Splitting WLE Stitches

Participant

I had a WLE in upper mid back last week.  7 disolving internal stitches and 9 on the surface.  The 9 stitches will be cut out in 4 weeks time.

I have been on a weight loss program for the last few months, through a mixture of cardio and clean eating.   It's been pretty successful, helped my self esteem, and I am keen to keep up the momentum.  I have already entered and paid for a cycling event in Italy in 50 days time.  So being sedentry is driving me crazy!

I went for a 3 mile walk this AM (day 4), and felt OK.  The stitches do feel tight, but not too painful.  But I am unsure how much to push it.  I realise that bike rides would be the last thing I should be doing, as reaching forward would be foolish – but think I would be OK doing increasing amount cardio that isolate my lower body (e.g. step machine, upright stationary bike and maybe gentle jogging in a week or two etc).

I guess I am more wary of when the stitches are taken out in 4 weeks.  Would butterfly stitches help to lessen chances of scar splitting open as I increase activity.  Could I ride a bike in 4 weeks time?

Is it just a case of increasing a little day by day and seeing what works and what doesn't?

Does anyone have any tips for increasing the rate of healing WLE?  Supplements?  Diets?            

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

If you feel any excessive "pulling", you should immediately ease off on whatever you are doing, particularly since you do not want any damage / tearing of the internal sutures.

I have had very good luck with Steri Strips on my last two WLEs, with no external sutures, and I am sure that you could add these yourself to stabilize any damge which you may have inadvertantly caused (i.e., if wound is exhibitng new "weeping").

Jamie1960
            Participant

PS – Last August I had a minor internal tear after a surgery the prior May

KatieB
              Participant

I am in the exact same boat! I had WLE  on my mid to upper back last week.   I run 6 days a week and haven't taken this much time off in 9 years. It's making me crazy.  I'm planning to walk 5 miles today.   My dr said no running for two weeks but I'd really love to do a slow jog before then if possible.   Perhaps I'll try butterfly Band-Aids around it to see if that helps it feel more stable.   But, I also partly think I should just be patient and wait so that I don't create a bigger scar or problem…  I have been training to run a marathon in June – not sure if I still can but no big deal. 

I did just order a couple of new sports bras that hopefully will avoid the scar site as my scar runs right under my typical sports bras – I am thinking less pressure on the site will be important for months.   Anyhow, I don't have any answers but I'm in the same boat.     Wishing you all good health and a fast recovery.

Rags McRags
                Participant

Thanks Katie – sounds like we are two peas in a pod – except I dont wear a bra!

My cycle ride in Italy is a 300km all day event.  And i really dont want to lose all the investment in time and money Ive put in.

I did a 8km walk on treamill yesterday (day 5) at a 5.5 gradient – and the scar is a little sore today.  I'm going to see nurse tomorrow to get it checked out. 

I did try a few minites on the eliptical trainer (arms not moving) and the upright exercise bike  – and both felt like they were not pulling on the stitches at all when done at a gentle pace.

I think a two week break sounds like sensible, bar walking.  But will drive me crazy. 

Do you have internal and external stitches?  I have 7 internal (disolvable) and 9 external ( taken out after 4 weeks).  Is that similar to you?

I have ordered some Steri Strips for when the stitches come out to help secure the area.

Best to luck

KatieB
                  Participant

Hi Rags, I walked 5 miles on Tuesday and I jogged yesterday (7 days out) and it felt good.  To me, I think the key is slowing down and taking much more time to exercise but trying to cover the same distance as I would have.  I do have to get a long run in during the next week if I want to stay on the marathon training path- but maybe I'll do that 14 days out.  

I have all dissolvable stitches inside and out and glue on top of that.  It was really ugly and painful for the first five days but looks a lot better now.

I'm conflicted because I'd really like to run this marathon but I don't want to cause a problem or cause excessive scarring because I couldn't be patient.

I'll watch tv on the treadmill today and give myself a lot of time so that I can get the distance in, hopefully without hurting anything. 🙂

geriakt
                  Participant

You should really ask your Doctor a question like this since he did the cutting and would know better than anyone on here. 

Jamie1960
                      Participant

+1

Bethharte
                        Participant

You could also talk to your surgeons nurse or the nurse who is monitoring your wound care.  Everyone heals at a different pace.  What is the size of the incision and depth ? How long has it been since your surgery? What kind of dressing is on the site? Is the site still dry after it "pulls" No heat, redness or swelling right? Some minor pulling would be within normal limits as the skin heals.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics