The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Wall thickening of small bowel on PET scan / previously treated with ili

Forums General Melanoma Community Wall thickening of small bowel on PET scan / previously treated with ili

Participant

Just an update on my husband who moved from Stage IIIC to Stage 4 last May. He had a tumor wrapped around his spine that was resected. He then had radiation and ipilimumab after that. One of his treatments was delayed due to some bowel issues and the need to go on steroids for a week or so but he got all four in.

His PET scan in October showed some areas that were lit up (shoulder, thighs) – none too significantly – and the oncologist was hopeful that that was his body's immune system attacking those free-ranging cancer cells. He had his last PET Jan. 28. We didn't get the report but the onc called to say they need to do an upper GI/small bowel through to evaluate small bowel wall thickening. Everything else that was lit up before looks all clear. 

I'm being cautiously optimistic. I'm wondering if what's lit up on his PET could be some ulcerative colitis or something like that as opposed to a return of the melanoma. My husband previously had been on the MAVIS vaccine trial and every now and then (almost cyclical in nature) those "bumps" where he got the vaccine trial flare up and itch like crazy. Sometimes they turn purple too – and his vaccine shots ended almost a year ago! (This kind of reaction happened during his ipi treatments too. His tattoos also had a weird reaction to the ipi – search "tattoos" in the MPIP search field to read about that!) He also has some transient bowel issues when that happens. (Wondering if that's his body's immune system ramping up.)

Anyway, I'll post an update tomorrow or Wednesday. But if anybody has any insight (i.e., had small bowel issue on PET that then got the all clear) – feel free to comment away. Meanwhile, if you can spare some prayers and/or good vibes – I'll take those too. I'm really hoping he's an ipi success story that I can soon share with you all.

Take care,

Kimberly

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        tschmith
        Participant

Hi Kimberly,

I wish I had some info on the small bowel issue but I don't.  However, I certainly can spare some prayers and good vibes.  

Praying that he's an ipi success story!  All my best to you too as I know this is so hard on spouses.

Terrie

tschmith
          Participant

Hi Kimberly,

I wish I had some info on the small bowel issue but I don't.  However, I certainly can spare some prayers and good vibes.  

Praying that he's an ipi success story!  All my best to you too as I know this is so hard on spouses.

Terrie

HopefulOne
              Participant

Hi Terrie – thank you for taking the time to write this note and to send prayers and good vibes!! I very much appreciate it. Take care! Kimberly

HopefulOne
                Participant

Hi Terrie – thank you for taking the time to write this note and to send prayers and good vibes!! I very much appreciate it. Take care! Kimberly

HopefulOne
                  Participant

tschmith
                  Participant

Hi Kimberly,

Terrie

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

No direct knowledge, but there are so many false positives on PET scans and enough Intestional problems from IPI that the IPI ccould be a problem that will hopefully clear up without major surgery needed.  What kind of follow up do they propose?  Awaiting hat the Doc's say!

HopefulOne
                        Participant

Hopefully we'll find out the results when we see oncologist a couple hours after the test. Then I know she'll go through next steps with us. She did say if it's melanoma they'll resect it. Not sure about radiation and next treatment. She always assures us she's got more tools in her toolbox to choose from but obviously really hoping ipi is working. Thanks for your comments. 

HopefulOne
                          Participant

Hopefully we'll find out the results when we see oncologist a couple hours after the test. Then I know she'll go through next steps with us. She did say if it's melanoma they'll resect it. Not sure about radiation and next treatment. She always assures us she's got more tools in her toolbox to choose from but obviously really hoping ipi is working. Thanks for your comments. 

HopefulOne
                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

No direct knowledge, but there are so many false positives on PET scans and enough Intestional problems from IPI that the IPI ccould be a problem that will hopefully clear up without major surgery needed.  What kind of follow up do they propose?  Awaiting hat the Doc's say!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

kpcollins31
                                Participant
                                  Kimberly,

I had a thickening of the small bowel identified with a CT scan right before Christmas. That led to a PET scan which confirmed an issue. I am actually typing this from the hospital as I am scheduled for a bowel resection tomorrow to remove the issue… I will not know for sure what it is until after surgery, but they expect it is a metastasis of the melanoma.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                  Participant
                                    Kimberly,

I had a thickening of the small bowel identified with a CT scan right before Christmas. That led to a PET scan which confirmed an issue. I am actually typing this from the hospital as I am scheduled for a bowel resection tomorrow to remove the issue… I will not know for sure what it is until after surgery, but they expect it is a metastasis of the melanoma.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                    Participant
                                      Kimberly,

Kevin

HopefulOne
                                        Participant

Good luck, Kevin. I hope everything goes well for you. I'm here in cyberspace sending lots of positive energy your way. 

HopefulOne
                                          Participant

Good luck, Kevin. I hope everything goes well for you. I'm here in cyberspace sending lots of positive energy your way. 

HopefulOne
                                            Participant

HopefulOne
                                              Participant

Hi Kevin – how are you healing from your latest surgery? My husband's further testing confirmed what the oncologist feared – he has a small mass on his small bowel – surgery is March 20. Hope you are doing well. Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                                Participant

Hi Kevin – how are you healing from your latest surgery? My husband's further testing confirmed what the oncologist feared – he has a small mass on his small bowel – surgery is March 20. Hope you are doing well. Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics