The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Walked in for my yearly came out shaken..

Forums General Melanoma Community Walked in for my yearly came out shaken..

Participant
      Hey everyone 32 year old male who tries to avoid the sun put sun screen on constantly etc. I decided to go in for my yearly check up with the derm.He was looking over my body and i guess in my inner thigh close to my groin id say smaller then a pencil eraser head was a black flat mole which he said looks suspicious and we should remove it and biopsy it. Well let me tell you, I deal with anxiety and hypochondria bad to a point where i go see someone and i just started to have a melt down in the office. He said i wouldnt lose sleep over it but im freaking out thinking i got cancer in a spot that never seen the sun! So im getting it removed this monday and on the paper it said melanocytic nevus which i have no idea what that is and im to scared to google it. Am i over reacting just a bit?Any feedback would be great so i never dealt with this before. I am  just focusing on worse case scenario.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        QuietPoet
        Participant
          Hi Stephen Anthony:

Welcome! You are probably focusing on the worst case scenario. Most likely it’s not melanoma, but if it is, and it’s caught early, you should be in good shape. I had a 1A taken out four years ago, and all has been well since. I just stick around and try to calm the fears of new people here who aren’t already in the trenches with this. And reading everyone’s post makes me want to see that their stories came out okay — and nowadays, they come out okay more and more. But that is if it is melanoma.

Waiting is the hardest part, as Tom Petty said. Try to take a deep breath, and just wait to see what the doctor says and do something you enjoy to get your mind off the waiting. Hopefully you’ll find out soon. Chances are, though, that it’s just a melanocytic nevi (a mole), and that’s it. Take good care, and let us know how it turns out and if you need any help with the lab results when they come along.

Best,

Erika

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics