The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Waiting just ain’t easy…..

Forums General Melanoma Community Waiting just ain’t easy…..

Participant

I had the scans today, PET and Brain MRI.  Originally, I was going to find out the results and talk about a plan on Tuesday, but the Doctor is now going to call me at home tomorrow with the results.  I'm glad to know what I am dealing with it, but hearing those results and waiting on those results……Well, you guys are the only one who understand what that means and feels like.

I appreciate the advice on doctors.  I have an appoint with Dr. Richard White it Charlotte, NC coming up.  I was wondering if anyone would be willing to talk about where they were when they got those results.  Is there anything that could make the situation easier?  I am planning on being alone for the call.  That's my choice.  I have only told one other person that it is happening tomorrow because up until yesterday, we all thought it was going to be Tuesday.

Thanks to all the people in this forum.  Its been a Godsend being able to come to this site.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Delora!

Yes, the hurry up and wait is absolutely one of the hardest parts of dealing with all of this. And unfortunately, aside from seeking refuge in my faith, family and friends, I don't have any good way of making it any easier.  

I found out my results after a derm appointment.  I went in alone, on a busy day, inbetween two other appointments.  In many ways I went because it was on my list of things to do and I'd already paid for the tests.  I didn't  expect any bad news, I expected the appointment to just be a formality.  I sure didn't expect to be completely blown out of the water and have my whole life changed.  I didn't take notes, I didn't'[t think, I didn't even have any questions (a rarity for me, I'm afraid) I also didn't know anything, zilch, squat, about melanoma.  So I very much felt as if I got dropped down the rabbit hole that day.

That was 5 years ago.  I know more now.  For me, I don't go to any mel related appointments alone.  I bring my best friend. And if she can't go, I take another best friend.   I need someone else there to hear what the dr says, help me remember, take notes and make sure I've asked my questions, even if they are now, because of new news, irrelevant.  I think if for some reason I had to go alone (and actually I thought I would have to go alone, tomorrow, to get my pathology results) not only would I bring my notes with my questions and comments written out, but  I would record the interaction, so I could remember how and what was said.  I'm usually fairly quick on the uptake, (I have a social science research Ph.D. where my job is to listen, record and analyze interaction and conversation) but for me there's something about being that vulnerable and real that I'm not really able to keep a researcher's distance.  Fortunately, another best friend (I am blessed with a good handful) has come through Bangkok this weekend, and offered to go with me tomorrow.  

Know you're not alone in this.  Make your plan for what you'll do when you get the call (sit down, have pen/paper in hand with questions…). Think it through ahead of time, so when the call comes you are prepared and present for it. Think about what you want to do after you've heard the news (either way), so again you have a fall back plan for finding your way out of where ever you've landed.  Then if you want to ditch the plan, no worries, it's your plan.  But you are the one making the decisions for you.

Anyway, this is what I do and whatever wisdom I have.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow as I wait in the hospital, and praying that you can find islands of peace and refuge where ever you are.

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Hi Delora!

Yes, the hurry up and wait is absolutely one of the hardest parts of dealing with all of this. And unfortunately, aside from seeking refuge in my faith, family and friends, I don't have any good way of making it any easier.  

I found out my results after a derm appointment.  I went in alone, on a busy day, inbetween two other appointments.  In many ways I went because it was on my list of things to do and I'd already paid for the tests.  I didn't  expect any bad news, I expected the appointment to just be a formality.  I sure didn't expect to be completely blown out of the water and have my whole life changed.  I didn't take notes, I didn't'[t think, I didn't even have any questions (a rarity for me, I'm afraid) I also didn't know anything, zilch, squat, about melanoma.  So I very much felt as if I got dropped down the rabbit hole that day.

That was 5 years ago.  I know more now.  For me, I don't go to any mel related appointments alone.  I bring my best friend. And if she can't go, I take another best friend.   I need someone else there to hear what the dr says, help me remember, take notes and make sure I've asked my questions, even if they are now, because of new news, irrelevant.  I think if for some reason I had to go alone (and actually I thought I would have to go alone, tomorrow, to get my pathology results) not only would I bring my notes with my questions and comments written out, but  I would record the interaction, so I could remember how and what was said.  I'm usually fairly quick on the uptake, (I have a social science research Ph.D. where my job is to listen, record and analyze interaction and conversation) but for me there's something about being that vulnerable and real that I'm not really able to keep a researcher's distance.  Fortunately, another best friend (I am blessed with a good handful) has come through Bangkok this weekend, and offered to go with me tomorrow.  

Know you're not alone in this.  Make your plan for what you'll do when you get the call (sit down, have pen/paper in hand with questions…). Think it through ahead of time, so when the call comes you are prepared and present for it. Think about what you want to do after you've heard the news (either way), so again you have a fall back plan for finding your way out of where ever you've landed.  Then if you want to ditch the plan, no worries, it's your plan.  But you are the one making the decisions for you.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow as I wait in the hospital, and praying that you can find islands of peace and refuge where ever you are.

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Hi Delora!

Blessings,

Julie

kpcollins31
              Participant

I have scans coming up in two weeks myself so will be going through the same thing. I am also in NC (Mooresville) and have heard a lot of positive things about Dr. White. My advice on the call… glass/bottle of wine to take the edge off :). Hope all goes well.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                Participant

I have scans coming up in two weeks myself so will be going through the same thing. I am also in NC (Mooresville) and have heard a lot of positive things about Dr. White. My advice on the call… glass/bottle of wine to take the edge off :). Hope all goes well.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                  Participant

Kevin

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics