The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Wait and See” or Thoracic surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community “Wait and See” or Thoracic surgery

Participant

Hello everyone, I’m back for the next phase of my journey…

I was on the Ipi vs Nivo trial for 7 months until the cancer came back in my arm at the site of my SNB.

I had recent scans and a lung nodule that was not growing during the trial went from 4mm to 10mm. Docs suggested a lung biopsy to see if it’s melanoma. Did the biopsy (!!!Ouch!!!) Still in pain two weeks later. Unfortunately, results came back inconclusive.

Now, Doctor (A) suggests wait and see approach; scan in 2 months then possibly biopsy again or something else, depending of what shows up.

Doctor (B) suggests removing the nodule via thoracic surgery and be done with it.

I kind of have this uneasy feeling that melanoma is lurking… I guess we probably all do angry

So gang, any thoughts on A vs B? Does anyone have any experience with thoracic surgery to remove lung nodules… what’s the good, bad and ugly?

Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

Juan

You should reach out to Bubbles. https://www.melanoma.org/community/profiles/bubbles.

She had a Melanoma met in her lung and had her lung removed. Read her profile.

I am sure she can reply to your question

Tom 

geriakt
          Participant

Juan

You should reach out to Bubbles. https://www.melanoma.org/community/profiles/bubbles.

Tom 

geriakt
            Participant

Juan

Tom 

Kim K
              Participant

IMHO, waiting 2 months won't make a difference and will give good info to see if it continues to grow or not.  It is still very small.  If anything else pops up in 2 months, it would have probably done so anyway.  If not, then have it removed and become NED once again.  Then again there are other trials for people who failed previous treatment like the PD-1 or MEK combo inhibitors.

They would need to have a melanoma present to monitor progression or response and so you may want to leave it in.

I had a VATS wedge resection to my right lung.  The only issue I had was throwing a pulmonary embolus and blistering of my skin due to the adhesive and a full blown latex allergy (think of where they put a latex foley catheter).  Other than those two issues and an extra day in the hospital because of the clot, it was a cake walk for me.

I had surgery in January 2010, IL-2 that summer, and have been NED since July 2010.  OMG!  I am coming up on my 6th year NED and didn't even realze it!

Best of luck.

FWIW – in this case it may be worth the wait.

Kim K
                Participant

IMHO, waiting 2 months won't make a difference and will give good info to see if it continues to grow or not.  It is still very small.  If anything else pops up in 2 months, it would have probably done so anyway.  If not, then have it removed and become NED once again.  Then again there are other trials for people who failed previous treatment like the PD-1 or MEK combo inhibitors.

They would need to have a melanoma present to monitor progression or response and so you may want to leave it in.

I had a VATS wedge resection to my right lung.  The only issue I had was throwing a pulmonary embolus and blistering of my skin due to the adhesive and a full blown latex allergy (think of where they put a latex foley catheter).  Other than those two issues and an extra day in the hospital because of the clot, it was a cake walk for me.

I had surgery in January 2010, IL-2 that summer, and have been NED since July 2010.  OMG!  I am coming up on my 6th year NED and didn't even realze it!

Best of luck.

Kim K
                  Participant

Best of luck.

jvictoria
                      Participant

Kim… Thanks for your story and thoughts!

jvictoria
                        Participant

jvictoria
                          Participant

geriakt
                            Participant

I had an alergic reaction to the adhisive on my bandage too from my liver biopcy.  The blister lasted weeks. I find the trouble when the adhisive is on longer than 6 hours. The plastic bandage on my power port does not blister,however it is only on about 3 hours at a time.

Tom

geriakt
                              Participant

I had an alergic reaction to the adhisive on my bandage too from my liver biopcy.  The blister lasted weeks. I find the trouble when the adhisive is on longer than 6 hours. The plastic bandage on my power port does not blister,however it is only on about 3 hours at a time.

Tom

geriakt
                                Participant

Tom

Bubbles
                                Participant

Hi Jaun,

Sorry for all that you are dealing with. I am a bit unclear about your history… As best as I can tell…right thumb issue basically 2014…but positive biopsy 2015. Then, with your SNB you had a positive node to the LEFT elbow?? (I'm a bit confused because of your 'primary' being on the right…but nodal basin on the left…that is a bit unusual….but melanoma is odd. Just makes me wonder if the right nail bed was really your primary lesion.) Then you started a clinical trial with ipi vs nivo?? In July ? 2015? Do you know which drug you were getting for sure? Patients can be unblinded when they leave a study. At any rate, 7 months into the study…you developed side effects…and was placed on steroids and removed from the trial June 2016? Ok…so now after a new 2 cm nodule appeared and was removed from left elbow and was positive for melanoma…an additional 10 mm nodule has shown up in your lung. Biopsy inconclusive. I presume all scans of other body parts are negative and MRI of brain clear? Are docs talking about giving any additional systemic therapy? What is your BRAF status?

I ask all this because:

1. If I only developed a lung "lesion" while on immunotherapy I might consider watching and waiting….because it is known that some folks can develop inflammation that can look hazy with a 'ground glass' apperance on scans or even nodular. During my trial of nivo back in 2010, Dr.Weber relayed how some folks developed these things…were biopsied…only to find they were inflammatory in nature…not melanoma.

2. But, if I am understanding correctly, while on the trial/treatment..you did develop another lesion (left elbow) that was actually positive for melanoma. Such things can happen while on immunotherapy and still subsequently resolve…but it does make your lung nodule a bit more concerning.

3. If your are BRAF positive…that therapy could be an option rather than watching and waiting or surgery.

4. SRS is also an option I would talk to my docs about. That (or gamma knife) can actually be used on lung lesions as well as brain.

5. How your lung surgery will go depends a lot on where your lesion is located. Let me know where it is and I can better tell you what you might expect should you have the surgery.

I wish you well. Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hi Jaun,

Sorry for all that you are dealing with. I am a bit unclear about your history… As best as I can tell…right thumb issue basically 2014…but positive biopsy 2015. Then, with your SNB you had a positive node to the LEFT elbow?? (I'm a bit confused because of your 'primary' being on the right…but nodal basin on the left…that is a bit unusual….but melanoma is odd. Just makes me wonder if the right nail bed was really your primary lesion.) Then you started a clinical trial with ipi vs nivo?? In July ? 2015? Do you know which drug you were getting for sure? Patients can be unblinded when they leave a study. At any rate, 7 months into the study…you developed side effects…and was placed on steroids and removed from the trial June 2016? Ok…so now after a new 2 cm nodule appeared and was removed from left elbow and was positive for melanoma…an additional 10 mm nodule has shown up in your lung. Biopsy inconclusive. I presume all scans of other body parts are negative and MRI of brain clear? Are docs talking about giving any additional systemic therapy? What is your BRAF status?

I ask all this because:

1. If I only developed a lung "lesion" while on immunotherapy I might consider watching and waiting….because it is known that some folks can develop inflammation that can look hazy with a 'ground glass' apperance on scans or even nodular. During my trial of nivo back in 2010, Dr.Weber relayed how some folks developed these things…were biopsied…only to find they were inflammatory in nature…not melanoma.

2. But, if I am understanding correctly, while on the trial/treatment..you did develop another lesion (left elbow) that was actually positive for melanoma. Such things can happen while on immunotherapy and still subsequently resolve…but it does make your lung nodule a bit more concerning.

3. If your are BRAF positive…that therapy could be an option rather than watching and waiting or surgery.

4. SRS is also an option I would talk to my docs about. That (or gamma knife) can actually be used on lung lesions as well as brain.

5. How your lung surgery will go depends a lot on where your lesion is located. Let me know where it is and I can better tell you what you might expect should you have the surgery.

I wish you well. Celeste

jvictoria
                                      Participant

Bubbles Thanks 🙂

Little clarification first on the history

– Primary on right thumb originaly noticed in 06/2014 but misdiagnosed as not being melanoma.

– Primary positivly diagnosed as ulcerated melanoma 06/2015

– Amputation of right thumb and SNB (3 positive nodes); Complete disection of right axilla

– Begin trial of ipi vs nivo 10/2015… assuming nivo, have requested drug from BMS

– 06/2016 significant side effect appear in addition to growing nodule on right elbow. Nodule removed, melanoma positive. Taken off clinical trial and put on steroids to manage side effects.

– Scans performed; lung nodule that had been stable at 4mm has grown to 10mm; lung biopsy performed; results inconclusive.

– Recent tests from elbow nodule show BRAF, EGFR and KRAS no mutations

Obviosly, like everyone else. Waiting is the worse thing…

Heading up to NYU to visit Dr. Weber for an opinion on next steps.

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Got cha!!!  All being on the right makes a lot more sense.  Had looked on some of your prior posts that noted left elbow…so I found that really concerning.

Ok.  Dr. Weber is one of the smartest men I have ever met.  He has been my oncologist for the past 6 years.  I traveled to Moffit to see him for my trial and will be seeing him for f/u in NY in September.  He is a straight shooter…so his advice would probably be what I would follow…no matter what anybody else said…were it me.

As far as lung surgery.  The lobe it is in makes a difference (middle, upper, lower – lower are more at risk for problems affecting the diaphragm).  Whether the nodule is in lung tissue (most common) versus the bronchus (inside one of the tubes…as mine was)…makes a difference.  Being in the tissue is easiest to deal with surgically.  Usually a VAT's procedure is done.  Here's a description:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video-assisted_thoracoscopic_surgery

VAT's is good because they work between the ribs and other structures, often going in through the armpit area (though that depends on the location of the tumor)…and allows the patient to heal more quickly and with less pain than if a big incision, esp through bone, had to be used.  Again, depending on location they can just take out a "wedge" or portion of the lobe, rather than the entire lobe of the lung.

Because my melanoma was inside the bronchus (tube) going to my right lung – there was a real risk that I would lose the entire right lung…if the tumor was at such a level that there was not enough space to remove the tumor and right upper lobe….then reattach the remaining lower bronchus and it's lobes back onto the main right bronchus.  Given those complicating factors…I was also at risk of having to have a very large incision curving around the entire scapula (shoulder blade on my right back) if they could not manage to do what they needed to do via the VAT's procedure.  I got lucky, and had an amazing surgeon, who was able to do my procedure via VAT's and only remove the upper lobe of my lung.

So…all that being said.  Hopefully, you can just have a wedge removed via VAT's procedure.  GIven the issues I had, I was told to expect to be in the intensive care unit and on the ventilator for some time after surgery.  However, I had to do neither!  So, if you can just have VAT's and a wedge…you will not be likely to need such either.  You probably will have a chest tube after surgery. You will probably have a urinary catheter and central line in for a bit after surgery. I highly recommend that you talk to your docs about a "walking epidural" post op.  It is a line to the spinal cord that gives you a steady flow of anesthesia to the lung area (much like women have when they deliver babies…just different location) so that you will not have the systemic effects of pain meds but will have the ability to cough and move without terrible pain so that you can heal from the surgery more quickly.

It wasn't fun, but I lived to tell the tale.  I started back on my elliptical as soon as I was cleared to do so (it was a sad act for a while there…gotta say!!!) but I am back to myself and my running and all the things I ever did.  The multiple scars to my right axillae where multple surgeries for SNB, CLND, and the VAT's all took place let me know they are there…but it is a small price to pay.

If need be, you can do this!!!  Hopefully, should you have to do it…your procedure will be even simpler than mine.  However, I hope Weber can give you even better info and options.  Will be thinking of you.  Keep us posted. Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Got cha!!!  All being on the right makes a lot more sense.  Had looked on some of your prior posts that noted left elbow…so I found that really concerning.

Ok.  Dr. Weber is one of the smartest men I have ever met.  He has been my oncologist for the past 6 years.  I traveled to Moffit to see him for my trial and will be seeing him for f/u in NY in September.  He is a straight shooter…so his advice would probably be what I would follow…no matter what anybody else said…were it me.

As far as lung surgery.  The lobe it is in makes a difference (middle, upper, lower – lower are more at risk for problems affecting the diaphragm).  Whether the nodule is in lung tissue (most common) versus the bronchus (inside one of the tubes…as mine was)…makes a difference.  Being in the tissue is easiest to deal with surgically.  Usually a VAT's procedure is done.  Here's a description:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video-assisted_thoracoscopic_surgery

VAT's is good because they work between the ribs and other structures, often going in through the armpit area (though that depends on the location of the tumor)…and allows the patient to heal more quickly and with less pain than if a big incision, esp through bone, had to be used.  Again, depending on location they can just take out a "wedge" or portion of the lobe, rather than the entire lobe of the lung.

Because my melanoma was inside the bronchus (tube) going to my right lung – there was a real risk that I would lose the entire right lung…if the tumor was at such a level that there was not enough space to remove the tumor and right upper lobe….then reattach the remaining lower bronchus and it's lobes back onto the main right bronchus.  Given those complicating factors…I was also at risk of having to have a very large incision curving around the entire scapula (shoulder blade on my right back) if they could not manage to do what they needed to do via the VAT's procedure.  I got lucky, and had an amazing surgeon, who was able to do my procedure via VAT's and only remove the upper lobe of my lung.

So…all that being said.  Hopefully, you can just have a wedge removed via VAT's procedure.  GIven the issues I had, I was told to expect to be in the intensive care unit and on the ventilator for some time after surgery.  However, I had to do neither!  So, if you can just have VAT's and a wedge…you will not be likely to need such either.  You probably will have a chest tube after surgery. You will probably have a urinary catheter and central line in for a bit after surgery. I highly recommend that you talk to your docs about a "walking epidural" post op.  It is a line to the spinal cord that gives you a steady flow of anesthesia to the lung area (much like women have when they deliver babies…just different location) so that you will not have the systemic effects of pain meds but will have the ability to cough and move without terrible pain so that you can heal from the surgery more quickly.

It wasn't fun, but I lived to tell the tale.  I started back on my elliptical as soon as I was cleared to do so (it was a sad act for a while there…gotta say!!!) but I am back to myself and my running and all the things I ever did.  The multiple scars to my right axillae where multple surgeries for SNB, CLND, and the VAT's all took place let me know they are there…but it is a small price to pay.

If need be, you can do this!!!  Hopefully, should you have to do it…your procedure will be even simpler than mine.  However, I hope Weber can give you even better info and options.  Will be thinking of you.  Keep us posted. Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                                            Participant

jvictoria
                                              Participant

Thanks Bubbles for everthing you do… 

jvictoria
                                                Participant

jvictoria
                                                  Participant

jvictoria
                                                    Participant

Anyone else have any experience with Lung surgery?

jvictoria
                                                      Participant

jvictoria
                                                        Participant

jvictoria
                                                          Participant

Bubbles Thanks 🙂

– Primary on right thumb originaly noticed in 06/2014 but misdiagnosed as not being melanoma.

– Amputation of right thumb and SNB (3 positive nodes); Complete disection of right axilla

– Begin trial of ipi vs nivo 10/2015… assuming nivo, have requested drug from BMS

– 06/2016 significant side effect appear in addition to growing nodule on right elbow. Nodule removed, melanoma positive. Taken off clinical trial and put on steroids to manage side effects.

– Scans performed; lung nodule that had been stable at 4mm has grown to 10mm; lung biopsy performed; results inconclusive.

jvictoria
                                                            Participant

Bubbles Thanks 🙂

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

Hi Jaun,

I ask all this because:

I wish you well. Celeste

kylez
                                                              Participant

Hi,

FWIW I had a VATS in 2010 for biopsy. They saw slow-growing lesions (8) in both lungs. But they needed positive confirmation to treat systemically as melanoma, with either biochemo or HD IL2 in 2010. They said none of the lesions were amenable to needle biopsy. Also, because they were spread in both lungs, and in that quantity, they felt there was probably more disease present than the 8 big enough to see. So surgery was for biopsy only. The biggest was just shy of 1cm.

For the VATS they "stopped" one lung, which is pretty far out, and did at least a couple of wedge resection I think. I believe they had a pathologist 'live' who was looking at the samples while I was lying there getting worked on. I could be wrong. Being in the hospital generically sucks. I was there for 2 days I think. The drain tube was weird. But I don't remember it being too bad. The worst part was being in a horribly understaffed ward for the 2 days. Getting out was wonderful. I have 3 small scars to show for it.

Hope that helps. – Kyle

kylez
                                                                Participant

Hi,

FWIW I had a VATS in 2010 for biopsy. They saw slow-growing lesions (8) in both lungs. But they needed positive confirmation to treat systemically as melanoma, with either biochemo or HD IL2 in 2010. They said none of the lesions were amenable to needle biopsy. Also, because they were spread in both lungs, and in that quantity, they felt there was probably more disease present than the 8 big enough to see. So surgery was for biopsy only. The biggest was just shy of 1cm.

For the VATS they "stopped" one lung, which is pretty far out, and did at least a couple of wedge resection I think. I believe they had a pathologist 'live' who was looking at the samples while I was lying there getting worked on. I could be wrong. Being in the hospital generically sucks. I was there for 2 days I think. The drain tube was weird. But I don't remember it being too bad. The worst part was being in a horribly understaffed ward for the 2 days. Getting out was wonderful. I have 3 small scars to show for it.

Hope that helps. – Kyle

kylez
                                                                  Participant

Hi,

Hope that helps. – Kyle

jvictoria
                                                                      Participant

Kyle,

This helps immensly. Thank you for sharing!

How long until you were back to normal? Did the lungs ever return to normal for you?

Thanks!

kylez
                                                                        Participant

Lung completely back to normal. Not right away. Probably pretty much back as far as noticing it after 2-3 weeks. Fully normal not much later.

jvictoria
                                                                          Participant

Thank You

jvictoria
                                                                            Participant

Thank You

jvictoria
                                                                              Participant

Thank You

kylez
                                                                                Participant

Lung completely back to normal. Not right away. Probably pretty much back as far as noticing it after 2-3 weeks. Fully normal not much later.

kylez
                                                                                  Participant

jvictoria
                                                                                    Participant

Kyle,

How long until you were back to normal? Did the lungs ever return to normal for you?

Thanks!

jvictoria
                                                                                      Participant

Kyle,

Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics