The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vomiting five days post chemo

Forums General Melanoma Community Vomiting five days post chemo

Participant

I am worried about Will (as always, but more right now than usual).  He had chemo (taxol & carboplatin) on Tuesday.  His appetite has not been great on this treatment but he's done okay.  He had a brain scan (clean, thankfully) because he'd had a few bouts of vomiting.  He was nauseated this morning and has been retching on and off all day.  Very weak and tired as a result.  I have a call into his nurse's voice mail.

I'm giving him sips of ginger ale, etc.  We'll try toast later.

Is this possibly a chemo side effect?

I am worried about Will (as always, but more right now than usual).  He had chemo (taxol & carboplatin) on Tuesday.  His appetite has not been great on this treatment but he's done okay.  He had a brain scan (clean, thankfully) because he'd had a few bouts of vomiting.  He was nauseated this morning and has been retching on and off all day.  Very weak and tired as a result.  I have a call into his nurse's voice mail.

I'm giving him sips of ginger ale, etc.  We'll try toast later.

Is this possibly a chemo side effect?

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

This isn't his first round, is it Lori?   I can't speak for this type of chemo, but when I had breast cancer the treatment would make me sick. Got progressively worse the first 3 treatments then leveled off.  I hope the nurse gets back to you soon. 

Fen

Lori C
            Participant

Thanks.  This is his fourth round.  He's had some vomiting before but not like this.  It's not violent but it's retching every hour or so.  His stomach just seems so upset. 

I'm giving him sips of ginger ale and will try some soup or toast soon.    Maybe the toxicity of this is cumulative.

Lori C
              Participant

Thanks.  This is his fourth round.  He's had some vomiting before but not like this.  It's not violent but it's retching every hour or so.  His stomach just seems so upset. 

I'm giving him sips of ginger ale and will try some soup or toast soon.    Maybe the toxicity of this is cumulative.

Fen
              Participant

This isn't his first round, is it Lori?   I can't speak for this type of chemo, but when I had breast cancer the treatment would make me sick. Got progressively worse the first 3 treatments then leveled off.  I hope the nurse gets back to you soon. 

Fen

W.
                Participant

I googled a bit and found out that there is something called "Delayed Chemotherapy-induced Nausea and Vomiting" (CINV) and carboplatin is one of the drugs associated with it.  So I guess it is entirely possible that it is chemo side effect.

W.
                  Participant

I googled a bit and found out that there is something called "Delayed Chemotherapy-induced Nausea and Vomiting" (CINV) and carboplatin is one of the drugs associated with it.  So I guess it is entirely possible that it is chemo side effect.

molly
                    Participant

Lori,

Is he taking anything for nausea? Just be careful about dehydration…..it can happen quickly. I've always heard it's more important to drink than eat…but I'm no doctor. I hope the nurse will get back with you quickly and get him something for the nausea….that is so miserable.molly

molly
                      Participant

Lori,

Is he taking anything for nausea? Just be careful about dehydration…..it can happen quickly. I've always heard it's more important to drink than eat…but I'm no doctor. I hope the nurse will get back with you quickly and get him something for the nausea….that is so miserable.molly

Kevin from Atlanta
                        Participant

I requesed the anti-nausea drug Zofran after hearing about it here. It worked quite well. With a clean brain MRI, it is the chemo. I am glad you got the MRI done.One less thing to worry about.

Kevin from Atlanta
                          Participant

I requesed the anti-nausea drug Zofran after hearing about it here. It worked quite well. With a clean brain MRI, it is the chemo. I am glad you got the MRI done.One less thing to worry about.

EricNJill
                            Participant

Eric did a treatment of Carboplatin, Avastin & Abraxane and the ONLY thing that helped with his vomitting was Emend.  They give you a dose with your chemo and then you take a pill the next two days.  It was WONDERFUL!  He didn't get sick for that entire week, which was a miracle for him.  They also gave it to him when he was receiving IL-2.  The first week he did IL-2 he vomitted the entire week.  The next week they tried Emend (because I begged them too) and it worked and from then on he never got sick when he took Emend. 

EricNJill
                                Participant

I forgot to say that Compazine, Zofran, or Kytril never worked for him.  They always try to give it to him but those drugs just don't work for him so if you don't find anything working for Will, be sure to ask for Emend.  There is also a patch that is supposed to be very good.  It's called the Sarcuso Patch but it's very expensive and Eric's insurance doesn't cover it so it wasn't an option for us.  You might want to ask about it too. 

Good luck to you.

JuleFL
                                  Participant
                                    Just an FYI on the Emend; my husband had hiccups when he took it so you might need to get some Baclophen for them if it is a problem.
                                    Good luck,
                                    Jule
                                    JuleFL
                                    Participant
                                      Just an FYI on the Emend; my husband had hiccups when he took it so you might need to get some Baclophen for them if it is a problem.
                                      Good luck,
                                      Jule
                                      EricNJill
                                      Participant

I forgot to say that Compazine, Zofran, or Kytril never worked for him.  They always try to give it to him but those drugs just don't work for him so if you don't find anything working for Will, be sure to ask for Emend.  There is also a patch that is supposed to be very good.  It's called the Sarcuso Patch but it's very expensive and Eric's insurance doesn't cover it so it wasn't an option for us.  You might want to ask about it too. 

Good luck to you.

EricNJill
                                        Participant

Good luck to you.

amybusby
                                          Participant

After I had biochem (the chemo elem. were cisplat. vinblast. and decarb. )  I was still vomitting daily 3 months after.  I did okay on an alternating schedule of Zofran and phenergren (often as a suppository)  I think it can also be done as a patch but my insurance would not cover that.  Doing it as a supp. was the least of my worries!

A

amybusby
                                            Participant

After I had biochem (the chemo elem. were cisplat. vinblast. and decarb. )  I was still vomitting daily 3 months after.  I did okay on an alternating schedule of Zofran and phenergren (often as a suppository)  I think it can also be done as a patch but my insurance would not cover that.  Doing it as a supp. was the least of my worries!

A

Kevin from Atlanta
                                              Participant

I forgot about Emend. I thought it was always given after chemo.

Kevin from Atlanta
                                                Participant

I forgot about Emend. I thought it was always given after chemo.

EricNJill
                                                  Participant

Good luck to you.

EricNJill
                                                  Participant

Eric did a treatment of Carboplatin, Avastin & Abraxane and the ONLY thing that helped with his vomitting was Emend.  They give you a dose with your chemo and then you take a pill the next two days.  It was WONDERFUL!  He didn't get sick for that entire week, which was a miracle for him.  They also gave it to him when he was receiving IL-2.  The first week he did IL-2 he vomitted the entire week.  The next week they tried Emend (because I begged them too) and it worked and from then on he never got sick when he took Emend. 

Lori C
                                                    Participant

Thank you all.  Will stopped the vomiting yesterday.  His chemo nurse said just to carefully monitor him for dehydration and next round (hopefully on the 12th of Oct. depending on scans) we'll try the Emend.  It knocked him around, though.  He was exhausted from the chemo anyway, let alone the disease, and then this.  Today he's slowly resuming solid foods and we're pushing fluids as much as possible. 

He's still with me at my place – I suspect this will soon be permanent, which would be my choice.  It has been MUCH easier caring for him this way. 

No way to really tell if it was a stomach bug or the chemo or what but at least the vomiting has stopped.  He was so exhausted and sore.  He was willing to drink Pedialyte (Gatorade was too awful tasting) and we've been doing a lot of ginger ale and peppermint tea, etc.  Being a coffee addict though, he desperately wanted a latte this morning, so I trepiditiously made him one….so far so good.

I truly appreciate the support and suggestions!

Lori C
                                                      Participant

Thank you all.  Will stopped the vomiting yesterday.  His chemo nurse said just to carefully monitor him for dehydration and next round (hopefully on the 12th of Oct. depending on scans) we'll try the Emend.  It knocked him around, though.  He was exhausted from the chemo anyway, let alone the disease, and then this.  Today he's slowly resuming solid foods and we're pushing fluids as much as possible. 

He's still with me at my place – I suspect this will soon be permanent, which would be my choice.  It has been MUCH easier caring for him this way. 

No way to really tell if it was a stomach bug or the chemo or what but at least the vomiting has stopped.  He was so exhausted and sore.  He was willing to drink Pedialyte (Gatorade was too awful tasting) and we've been doing a lot of ginger ale and peppermint tea, etc.  Being a coffee addict though, he desperately wanted a latte this morning, so I trepiditiously made him one….so far so good.

I truly appreciate the support and suggestions!

Lori C
                                                        Participant

Rats, the vomiting returned this afternoon.  His chemo nurse phoned in a compazine prescription so we are trying that.  He is so tired; but I am keeping watch over him.  Hopefully alternating the Zofran and Compazine will help.  We will try the Emend next round of chemo.

Lori C
                                                          Participant

Rats, the vomiting returned this afternoon.  His chemo nurse phoned in a compazine prescription so we are trying that.  He is so tired; but I am keeping watch over him.  Hopefully alternating the Zofran and Compazine will help.  We will try the Emend next round of chemo.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics