The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vitiligo Advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Vitiligo Advice

Participant
      I’ve just got back from a weekend camping with a very red face.
      I spent Saturday outside on a fairly cloudy day in England in the type of weather where I wouldn’t normally bother with suntan lotion. Part way through the day I felt my face was warm and my wife commented about it so suntan lotion applied by too late. The reason I mention this is having looked at my face the redness is only in certain places (forehead, nose and part of cheeks) and the rest of my face is the normal colour and appear patchy. When I mentioned this to my wife she said that she thought my skin had looked a bit patchy for a few months and thought I had previously applied suntan lotion poorly causing this patchiness!!! We were with some friends one of which gets sunburn if she looks at a candle for too long so the sunburn iI now have seems a bit unusual.

I was wondering if this might be the start of Vitiligo and wondered how this started for other people?? As best i can tell this is only on my face – i have had a few grey eyebrow hairs recently but am going grey anyway so don’t know if that’s relevant or not
      Thanks
      Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        lkb
        Participant
          Mark, I’m getting vitiligo on my hands and back and slightly on my face. Also, my eyelashes and eyebrows have gone white. Lastly, a patch of hair on my head has gone white near the injection site. My oncologist warned me to take extra precautions because these places on the skin will burn easily due to less pigment. So, I think your observations and those of your wife are probably spot on. I’ve been wearing UV protective fingerless gloves and use sunscreen every day, even when sky is overcast (as it often is where I live in San Francisco). Cover up and be safe.
          ed williams
          Participant
            Hi Mark, this is the exact way I first noticed my Vitiligo after starting Nivo back in Jan of 2014. We went on a family trip to Cuba and end of first day even after sun screen my hands were patchy red and burnt, some lesson we learn the hard way and in my case lesson always seem to come the hard way!!! There is a silver lining with this lesson and that is of all the negative side effects that us immunotherapy folks can get, Vitiligo seems to be correlated with positive responses for the most part. Best Wishes!!Ed
            MarkR
            Participant
              Thanks both – comparing your experiences to mine it seems quite similar so will wait to see what my Onc says. In many ways I will be pleased if it is vitiligo given the encouraging connections. As I have thought about it this evening I have thought of a few other times when I have caught a bit of colour on my face in recent months when I really shouldn’t have so will be extra careful from now on
                Mark_DC
                Participant
                  Mark – my US dermatologist is pretty strict with me on sun lotion, even in winter. i dont follow his advice early mornings, but wear a hat and cover up instead. at lunchtime i definitely lotion up, with my hat too. In the UK the weather is easier and less sunny, but still i think the UV can be strong, so lotion and hat and covering up I believe are essential.
                  Still, I think the vitiligo is potentially great news, so that should cheer you up! (Unfortunately, i keep looking but dont seem to have it :-()
                  hope this will be a good sign
                  mark
                  MarkR
                  Participant
                    Thanks Mark – I’m generally pretty good with sun tan lotion but this was a day for fleeces and a coat (July in the Uk eh!!) so really didn’t think it would be an issue. Lesson learned now and will be a lot more vigilant. Am hopeful this is a sign of good things and hope it gets me through the til the next scan!
                    Hope things are still going well for you
                    Mark
                    stevek1959x
                    Participant
                      Ah yes, vitiligo. I had two treatments of Nivo left out of 24 and the vitiligo started to show. I’m sure it was there earlier but just coming out of Minnesota’s winter, I had not had much exposure to sun. All of a sudden blotcihes started to show on the back of my hand. I started to where a short sleeve shirt and blotches appeared on my arms as well. Most recently, I was outside and used sunscreen on my arms and hands. I was out in the sun for about two hours and my neck started to burn. Holy crap, my neck was completely red with a little brown below my collar line. vitiligo had turned my neck completely white and it proceeded to wipe out most of the color on the front of my neck. I also have a few spots on the side of my face. So yea, I learned the hard way – use sun screen liberally. I also have had a rash (lichen planus) which just loves the vitiligo skin. I used a cream to stop some of the itching but now if I scrape my arm, it peels the skin back(thin skin). My onco said the only way to stop the vitiligo was with an Immunosuppressant and said there is no way he was approving that. My dermatologist decided to recommend UVB light therapy for both the vitiligo and lichen planus. and my onco was ok with that. I’ve had two treatments and will check in with the dermatologist in 6 week (3/week).. It’s one heck of a time commitment and if it seems to be helping after the six week trial, people usually go for at least 6 months to 1 year. The vitiligo is a pain and it would not looks so bad if I just completely avoided the sun. I’m really hoping this treatment takes care of the lichen planus. I guess considering the alternative, it’s certainly manageable.

Steve

MarkR
                      Participant
                        Hi Steve
                        Thanks for the input – mine isn’t particularly noticeable at this point but I get the impression it gets worse over time. I would sooner it hadn’t occurred on my face but it’s a small price to pay if the treatment works
                        Cheers
                        Mark
                        MarkR
                        Participant
                          Hi Steve
                          Thanks for the input – mine isn’t particularly noticeable at this point but I get the impression it gets worse over time. I would sooner it hadn’t occurred on my face but it’s a small price to pay if the treatment works
                          Cheers
                          Mark
                    Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics