The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vitamin D supplement?

Forums General Melanoma Community Vitamin D supplement?

Participant

Hello all – I'm wondering if anyone has advice on whether to take a vitamin D supplement.  Since being diagnosed with stage 2A one year ago, I've been significantly limiting my sun exposure.  Thinking I might need to take a vitamin D supplement.  Had a CT scan recently that also noted signs of osteopenia.  Any recommendations?

~ Mary

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        KimberlyVU
        Participant

My dermatologist recommended I take 1000mg per day.

MoiraM
            Participant

Are you sure it is 1000mg? My tablets are 1000 iu (25 micrograms).

MoiraM
              Participant

jenny22
                Participant

More than likley is IUs…

For whatever its worth, I take 2000 IUs daily also!

Jenny

jenny22
                  Participant

More than likley is IUs…

Jenny

jenny22
                    Participant

More than likley is IUs…

Jenny

MoiraM
                      Participant

KimberlyVU
                      Participant

KimberlyVU
                        Participant

Bubbles
                          Participant

Just happened to post this today:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/vit-d-and-melanoma-part-2.html

For what it's worth.  I wish you well.  Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

Just happened to post this today:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/vit-d-and-melanoma-part-2.html

Bubbles
                              Participant

DZnDef
                                Participant

Everyone likely has different requirements for supplementation.  Excess vitamin D causes problems as well.  You can get excess vitamin D via supplementation but not via sunshine.   My doc has me on 3,000 units of D3 based on blood tests showing I was low.  I plan to get outside more so I can hopefully reduce my supplementation.  Each person needs to weigh the risks and benefits themselves of sun exposure.

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Everyone likely has different requirements for supplementation.  Excess vitamin D causes problems as well.  You can get excess vitamin D via supplementation but not via sunshine.   My doc has me on 3,000 units of D3 based on blood tests showing I was low.  I plan to get outside more so I can hopefully reduce my supplementation.  Each person needs to weigh the risks and benefits themselves of sun exposure.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Hello Mary,

First low Vitamin D3 levels are bad for everyone and if you had signs of ostopenia then my guess you are low.  If you live north of Atlanta, GA then you have a second chance of being low.  You don't have a profile set up so not sure where you live but if I were you I would have it tested.

A simple blood test called 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Blood Test can be preformed just ask any doctor to order it.  You should be between 50 and 70 on the new scale it used to be between 30 and 50.  If you are deficient in Vitamin D3 it robs calcium for your bones to try to replace what you are deficient in.  I was at 17 when I fell in the summer and had a double compound fracture, my first broken bone ever and I was in my 60's.  They started me on 50,000 a week for 8 weeks to bring it up more in the normal range.  I then continued to take 5,000 a day to keep it up. I do live above Atlanta, GA.  I take more supplementation in the winter as your skin is always covered because of the weather.  In the summer I take less but try to go outside for 10-20 minutes at least twice a day with my arms and legs exposed.

My husband took Vitamin D3 supplementation as well and his research oncology nurse said everyone should be taking it.  She worked in Pediatrics before becoming a research nurse and said most babies are born Vitamin D3 deficient as their mothers are deficient.

In a report my husband found said you should take 35 X's your weight.  So if you weigh 100 pounds you should take 3500 a day supplementation.  Those with cancer should have their 25 Hydroxy test done often to make sure their numbers are up above 70 and his oncologist did the test along with other blood work 2 times a year.

In case you didn't know Vitamin D3 is not really a Vitamin but is a hormone your body needs to function properly and in some cases you have to teach your doctor.  Maybe a lot of people that suffer depression should have theirs checked as when you numbers are higher you do feel better.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                        Participant

Hello Mary,

First low Vitamin D3 levels are bad for everyone and if you had signs of ostopenia then my guess you are low.  If you live north of Atlanta, GA then you have a second chance of being low.  You don't have a profile set up so not sure where you live but if I were you I would have it tested.

A simple blood test called 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Blood Test can be preformed just ask any doctor to order it.  You should be between 50 and 70 on the new scale it used to be between 30 and 50.  If you are deficient in Vitamin D3 it robs calcium for your bones to try to replace what you are deficient in.  I was at 17 when I fell in the summer and had a double compound fracture, my first broken bone ever and I was in my 60's.  They started me on 50,000 a week for 8 weeks to bring it up more in the normal range.  I then continued to take 5,000 a day to keep it up. I do live above Atlanta, GA.  I take more supplementation in the winter as your skin is always covered because of the weather.  In the summer I take less but try to go outside for 10-20 minutes at least twice a day with my arms and legs exposed.

My husband took Vitamin D3 supplementation as well and his research oncology nurse said everyone should be taking it.  She worked in Pediatrics before becoming a research nurse and said most babies are born Vitamin D3 deficient as their mothers are deficient.

In a report my husband found said you should take 35 X's your weight.  So if you weigh 100 pounds you should take 3500 a day supplementation.  Those with cancer should have their 25 Hydroxy test done often to make sure their numbers are up above 70 and his oncologist did the test along with other blood work 2 times a year.

In case you didn't know Vitamin D3 is not really a Vitamin but is a hormone your body needs to function properly and in some cases you have to teach your doctor.  Maybe a lot of people that suffer depression should have theirs checked as when you numbers are higher you do feel better.

keepthefaith11
                                            Participant
                                              Great info Judy! Wanted to add that for me it took taking 6000IU/day to get levels from 28 to 43. When dealing with cancer you want levels AT LEAST to be 70, like Judy said. Getting to those levels is going to take much more than 1000IU/day. Also remember it is crucial to take vitamin K2 along with vitamin D. Natto based K2 is the best. It helps with absorbtion of vitamin D.
                                              My dad was diagnosed with stage 3C and is taking 6000 IU vitamin D, curcumin, COq 10, probiotics and reishi mushrooms.I tried different kinds of vitamin D and had the best success with the brand BIOTICS which was recommended by my MD. Have levels checked regulary since people absorb vitamin D differently and you want to make sure you are at the optimum level.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                              Participant
                                                Great info Judy! Wanted to add that for me it took taking 6000IU/day to get levels from 28 to 43. When dealing with cancer you want levels AT LEAST to be 70, like Judy said. Getting to those levels is going to take much more than 1000IU/day. Also remember it is crucial to take vitamin K2 along with vitamin D. Natto based K2 is the best. It helps with absorbtion of vitamin D.
                                                My dad was diagnosed with stage 3C and is taking 6000 IU vitamin D, curcumin, COq 10, probiotics and reishi mushrooms.I tried different kinds of vitamin D and had the best success with the brand BIOTICS which was recommended by my MD. Have levels checked regulary since people absorb vitamin D differently and you want to make sure you are at the optimum level.

Annie

Gene_S
                                                Participant

Annie concerning Reishi mushrooms, check out information on the Chaga Mushroom:

Famous mushroom mycologist Paul Stamets writes that the betulin concentrations in chaga have shown potential in curing malignant melanoma, fully inhibiting tumor in mice, inducing apoptosis of damaged cells. Chaga extracts are also used as an antiviral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory natural remedy. Inonotus obliquus is widely used as an immune-enhancer and a liver tonic (Stamets 2005). In 2011, a study published in the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, noted that “Chaga fraction elicited anticancer effects which were attributed to decreased tumor cell proliferation, motility and induced morphological changes”.

Chaga is one of the best melanin sources known in any herb or food. The mushroom’s melanin has a powerful DNA protective effect on the body. This constituent also makes up the main pigment in human skin, the pigment-bearing neurons within the brain stem and the eye retina. Natural melanin supplementation via this mushroom can shield the skin from sun damage and enhance beauty, plus it is beneficial for the hair and the eyes.

Source: http://organicpowerfoods.com/healthy/host-defense-organic-chaga-capsules

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Famous mushroom mycologist Paul Stamets writes that the betulin concentrations in chaga have shown potential in curing malignant melanoma, fully inhibiting tumor in mice, inducing apoptosis of damaged cells. Chaga extracts are also used as an antiviral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory natural remedy. Inonotus obliquus is widely used as an immune-enhancer and a liver tonic (Stamets 2005). In 2011, a study published in the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, noted that “Chaga fraction elicited anticancer effects which were attributed to decreased tumor cell proliferation, motility and induced morphological changes”.

Chaga is one of the best melanin sources known in any herb or food. The mushroom’s melanin has a powerful DNA protective effect on the body. This constituent also makes up the main pigment in human skin, the pigment-bearing neurons within the brain stem and the eye retina. Natural melanin supplementation via this mushroom can shield the skin from sun damage and enhance beauty, plus it is beneficial for the hair and the eyes.

Source: http://organicpowerfoods.com/healthy/host-defense-organic-chaga-capsules

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Annie this was on the MIF Forum about NIH site:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19041933

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

Annie this was on the MIF Forum about NIH site:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19041933

keepthefaith11
                                                        Participant
                                                          Awesome, thank you! Is anybody taking it, and if so, how much?
                                                          keepthefaith11
                                                          Participant
                                                            keepthefaith11
                                                            Participant
                                                              Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                  Participant

Annie

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Hello Mary,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics