The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Visit to Moffitt

Forums General Melanoma Community Visit to Moffitt

Participant
      Good morning everyone – Hope everyone is doing well and had a nice July 4th

Well, I had my visit to Moffitt and met with Dr. Khushalani and I feel it was for nothing and left me confused.  He said the mel had a 40% chance of reoccurring (standard) and he restaged me to 3B from 3C… big whoop.  He said I had four options (actually 5).

Option #1 – High dose Interferon for 1 year; which he highly recommends. He says it would reduce the 40% by 12% (big deal) and I would feel crappy the whole time from side effects. He also said that 50% of the country doctors are for Interferon and 50% for Ipi.

Option #2 – Low dose Interferon for five years….no way

Option #3 – Ipi; which he doesn't recommend for me for two reasons. One is that I have IBS and the concern for the colitis. The other is the study was done in the UK but the EU has not approved the drug or dosing where the US did and there is no long term data for survival until 2017.

Option #4 – His trial with high dose Interferon or Ipi to Pembrolizumab but I would have to get a CLND; which I don't want to do

Option #5 – Do nothing.  He didn't bring it up but I did.

So, I'm back to square one.  Right now I feel like screw it and not do anything…wait, watch and see.  The choices suck and for what real benefit????  Maybe I will one of the 60% and not the 40%.
      Thank you again for listening to my rambling but I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
      Best to everyone
      Patti

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

I'm 3b as well since 2013. I go to mayo. I would get a new melanoma doctor if you are not 100% with this one. I would run from any dr that said interferon. I chose watch and wait and so far so good. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for melanoma as of yet and personally I don't want to poison myself with the single digit chance that it might help something that may never occur. 

Toby0987
          Participant

I'm 3b as well since 2013. I go to mayo. I would get a new melanoma doctor if you are not 100% with this one. I would run from any dr that said interferon. I chose watch and wait and so far so good. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for melanoma as of yet and personally I don't want to poison myself with the single digit chance that it might help something that may never occur. 

Chance16
              Participant

Thank you for responding. So as I understand, you have not done any drug treatment? What kind of follow-up are you doing? Unfortunately, I live in Florida and Moffitt is the only place that has cutaneous oncologists.  Right now I dont like the options he gave me and I'm leaning towards wait, watch and see.

Thank you again

Toby0987
                Participant

Mayo is in Jacksonville. Not sure how they compare to mayo in Rochester MN. I have done zero drugs. I did the wide local and they took out 40 nodes. 1 node was nice and plump with melanoma. I went to pets every 3 months the first year and now every 6 months. So far so good. Watch and wait is not giving up-it is a good way to stay on top of melanoma. 

Chance16
                  Participant

I also did the WLE on my left ankle and SLNB with the node positive. Both my onc surgeon and medical onc at Moffitt want to do the CLND in my left groin; which I don't want to do. I don't like the drug treatment options.  I might consider Ipi but I'm not sure what the incidence of colitis is during treatments. I still think I'm going wait and watch.

Thank you again

Chance16
                    Participant

I also did the WLE on my left ankle and SLNB with the node positive. Both my onc surgeon and medical onc at Moffitt want to do the CLND in my left groin; which I don't want to do. I don't like the drug treatment options.  I might consider Ipi but I'm not sure what the incidence of colitis is during treatments. I still think I'm going wait and watch.

Thank you again

Chance16
                      Participant

Thank you again

Toby0987
                        Participant

Mayo is in Jacksonville. Not sure how they compare to mayo in Rochester MN. I have done zero drugs. I did the wide local and they took out 40 nodes. 1 node was nice and plump with melanoma. I went to pets every 3 months the first year and now every 6 months. So far so good. Watch and wait is not giving up-it is a good way to stay on top of melanoma. 

Toby0987
                          Participant

Chance16
                            Participant

Thank you for responding. So as I understand, you have not done any drug treatment? What kind of follow-up are you doing? Unfortunately, I live in Florida and Moffitt is the only place that has cutaneous oncologists.  Right now I dont like the options he gave me and I'm leaning towards wait, watch and see.

Thank you again

Chance16
                              Participant

Thank you again

Toby0987
                              Participant

ed williams
                                Participant

Hi Patti, isn't adjuvant stage 3 melanoma fun!!!!! You almost need to have an advanced medical degree just to be able to compare the choices which are not great at present. I think the future with Pd-1 drugs might be the best choice but without the data being mature it is still a guessing game. Not every one is ready to try a clinical trial especially when some of the Pd-1 trials are set up with Interferon and not placebo, so that they can say which is better for patients? I have a video with Dr. Jason Luke of Chicago talking to Catherine Poole of the Melanoma International Foundation. He still recommend watch and wait as the standard and he gives a pretty detailed description of the choices for stage 3 folk. If you want to skip over some of the details and get to the good stuff, I would recommend starting at either the 25min mark or the 35min mark. Best wishes with making a decision!!!!Ed      http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2016/01/decision-making-for-melanoma-stage-iii-beyond/#.V30JMM6cHIX       

P.S. you might have to register on the Melanoma International Foundation!!!! They don't send out junk mail afterwards!!!!   

Chance16
                                    Participant

Thank you Ed….yes I agree with you and it actually sucks!! I will definitely watch the video. Thank you again

Chance16
                                      Participant

Thank you Ed….yes I agree with you and it actually sucks!! I will definitely watch the video. Thank you again

Chance16
                                        Participant

Chance16
                                          Participant

Ed, I watched the video.  It did help answer some of my questions and making a decision.

Thanks again, Patti

Chance16
                                            Participant

Ed, I watched the video.  It did help answer some of my questions and making a decision.

Thanks again, Patti

Chance16
                                              Participant

Thanks again, Patti

ed williams
                                              Participant

Hi Patti, isn't adjuvant stage 3 melanoma fun!!!!! You almost need to have an advanced medical degree just to be able to compare the choices which are not great at present. I think the future with Pd-1 drugs might be the best choice but without the data being mature it is still a guessing game. Not every one is ready to try a clinical trial especially when some of the Pd-1 trials are set up with Interferon and not placebo, so that they can say which is better for patients? I have a video with Dr. Jason Luke of Chicago talking to Catherine Poole of the Melanoma International Foundation. He still recommend watch and wait as the standard and he gives a pretty detailed description of the choices for stage 3 folk. If you want to skip over some of the details and get to the good stuff, I would recommend starting at either the 25min mark or the 35min mark. Best wishes with making a decision!!!!Ed      http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2016/01/decision-making-for-melanoma-stage-iii-beyond/#.V30JMM6cHIX       

P.S. you might have to register on the Melanoma International Foundation!!!! They don't send out junk mail afterwards!!!!   

ed williams
                                                Participant

Bradley75
                                                  Participant

When I graduated to stage 3B, there were no good choices available for me either.  There was one clinical trial I was interested in, but I was not HLA2A positive.  Therefore, I didn't qualify.  The other trial offered at that time had a placebo wing to it and I didn't like the chance of going through treatment for nothing.  I was going to opt for watch and wait until my onc discussed Leukine.  It is not the preferred treatment, but it is the same as Interferon without the side effects.  I have been on it for 8 months and had had little to no issues.  There are better options out there, but none worked out for me at the time of my diagnosis.  I wouldn't have done Interferon either.  The Leukine may not provide much benefit, but the potential benefit is worth going after since the side effects are minimal. 

So sorry you have to go through this… 

Brad

Bradley75
                                                    Participant

When I graduated to stage 3B, there were no good choices available for me either.  There was one clinical trial I was interested in, but I was not HLA2A positive.  Therefore, I didn't qualify.  The other trial offered at that time had a placebo wing to it and I didn't like the chance of going through treatment for nothing.  I was going to opt for watch and wait until my onc discussed Leukine.  It is not the preferred treatment, but it is the same as Interferon without the side effects.  I have been on it for 8 months and had had little to no issues.  There are better options out there, but none worked out for me at the time of my diagnosis.  I wouldn't have done Interferon either.  The Leukine may not provide much benefit, but the potential benefit is worth going after since the side effects are minimal. 

Brad

Bradley75
                                                      Participant

Brad

Chance16
                                                          Participant

Thank you Brad for the info.  Yes, I agree with you but actually it sucks. I glad you found an option that is working for you.  I guess I will have to find a local oncologist since I won't be dealing with Moffitt.  Who ordered the drug for you; a general oncologist or a cutaneous oncologist? Did your insurance approve or was it out of pocket? One other question. Did you have a CLND?

Once again, thank you!

Patti

Chance16
                                                            Participant

Thank you Brad for the info.  Yes, I agree with you but actually it sucks. I glad you found an option that is working for you.  I guess I will have to find a local oncologist since I won't be dealing with Moffitt.  Who ordered the drug for you; a general oncologist or a cutaneous oncologist? Did your insurance approve or was it out of pocket? One other question. Did you have a CLND?

Once again, thank you!

Patti

Chance16
                                                              Participant

Once again, thank you!

Patti

Bradley75
                                                                Participant

The RN for my Melanoma Cancer Care Team ordered it.  It was mentioned and recommended by the two doctors I met with as well.  My insurance covered all of it.  It is FDA approved and that matters to my insurance I learned.  Without insurance coverage, I wouldn't have done it.  It is really expensive if your insurance doesn't cover the cost.

I did have CLND in May of 2015.  They removed 28 lymph nodes from my right arm pit.  2 of those nodes contained melanoma.  NY scan before the surgery was clear.  The lymph nodes were too small to detect according to the doctor I had at that time. 

Brad

Bradley75
                                                                  Participant

The RN for my Melanoma Cancer Care Team ordered it.  It was mentioned and recommended by the two doctors I met with as well.  My insurance covered all of it.  It is FDA approved and that matters to my insurance I learned.  Without insurance coverage, I wouldn't have done it.  It is really expensive if your insurance doesn't cover the cost.

I did have CLND in May of 2015.  They removed 28 lymph nodes from my right arm pit.  2 of those nodes contained melanoma.  NY scan before the surgery was clear.  The lymph nodes were too small to detect according to the doctor I had at that time. 

Brad

Bradley75
                                                                    Participant

Brad

Chance16
                                                                      Participant

Thank you Brad for sharing your experiences.  Wishing you the best. Patti

Chance16
                                                                        Participant

Chance16
                                                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                          Participant

This roller coaster is fun, huh? Ugh, I totally understand not wanting Interferon, don't blame you there. I also understand the doctors concern about Ipi since you already have IBS, your chance of getting colitis is probably higher than someone without gastro issues already. Watch and wait is still the number one recommended treatment for our stage. My onc, who does a lot of research and study on melanoma and the different immunotherapy drugs, told me watch and wait was #1 and Yervoy was #2, but that it was totally up to whatever I was comfortable with doing. If you're comfortable with watch and wait, doing scans and follow up appointments for a while, then you'll be able to move on with life a lot faster than us that are stuck dealing with possible side effects and scheduling life around the next infusion. 

It's your body and your life, you know in your gut what you feel most comfortable doing.

jennunicorn
                                                                            Participant

This roller coaster is fun, huh? Ugh, I totally understand not wanting Interferon, don't blame you there. I also understand the doctors concern about Ipi since you already have IBS, your chance of getting colitis is probably higher than someone without gastro issues already. Watch and wait is still the number one recommended treatment for our stage. My onc, who does a lot of research and study on melanoma and the different immunotherapy drugs, told me watch and wait was #1 and Yervoy was #2, but that it was totally up to whatever I was comfortable with doing. If you're comfortable with watch and wait, doing scans and follow up appointments for a while, then you'll be able to move on with life a lot faster than us that are stuck dealing with possible side effects and scheduling life around the next infusion. 

It's your body and your life, you know in your gut what you feel most comfortable doing.

Chance16
                                                                                Participant

Thank you Jenn, your posts have been supportive, informational and helpful.  Tell you a secret I don't like roller coasters so I'm sure you can guess I how feel about all this. I guess for now I will wait. My concern now is who do I follow-up with.  I'm sure once I tell Moffitt I'm not doing any of their options they won't bother with me. I will have to find a local general oncologist.

Once again thank you,

Patti

Chance16
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you Jenn, your posts have been supportive, informational and helpful.  Tell you a secret I don't like roller coasters so I'm sure you can guess I how feel about all this. I guess for now I will wait. My concern now is who do I follow-up with.  I'm sure once I tell Moffitt I'm not doing any of their options they won't bother with me. I will have to find a local general oncologist.

Once again thank you,

Patti

Chance16
                                                                                    Participant

Once again thank you,

Patti

jennunicorn
                                                                                      Participant

Any good melanoma oncologist will be happy to continue treating you, even with watch and wait. It is still best to have a melanoma specialist on your "team" since you'll be getting frequent scans and if something ever showed up on your scans you'd want a melanoma specialist on the ready to help figure out what it is and if it's something that needs further investigating. If that one Moffitt onc you saw says he doesn't want to "bother" with you, try a different one. 

Hopefully this roller coaster starts to slow down for you.

jennunicorn
                                                                                        Participant

Any good melanoma oncologist will be happy to continue treating you, even with watch and wait. It is still best to have a melanoma specialist on your "team" since you'll be getting frequent scans and if something ever showed up on your scans you'd want a melanoma specialist on the ready to help figure out what it is and if it's something that needs further investigating. If that one Moffitt onc you saw says he doesn't want to "bother" with you, try a different one. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

Jennab0525
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Patti! I too am a Stage 3B and was diagnosed in October of last year so I'm about 9 months out. I am in MN and I have seen two melanoma oncologists. The first was hard core pushing interferon and CLND. My family and I all did not feel comfortable with that oncologist so I chose to get a second opinion. My second onc went through all of the same options you discussed above in great detail and in the end said he strongly felt the best option was no CLND (he felt it was less than a 5% chance it would be in any other nodes) and watch and wait. I am very comfortable with that approach. I feel the same as you, why do a treatment or surgery that could cause horrible side effects and possible life long issues to treat something that isn't there and may never be back. Plus I am being watched so closely by my onc, dermatologist and surgeon that if it does come back we will catch it extremely early and I will cross that road when I get there. 

No matter what, the treatment is whatever you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different and everyone's melanoma is different. Example, my coworker and I were ironically diagnosed with melanoma a few weeks apart. He is a 3A. He had the CLND and interferon (forced upon him from the first onc I saw that I didn't like) and now he just had a PET that showed it spread. So really the interferon and CLND was for nothing because it came back anyway and he has suffered so much in the last 9 months.

Currently I am having CT scans and bloodwork every 3 months with my onc, skin checks with my dermatologist every 3 months and I see my surgeon who did my WLE every 3 months to check my incision (although I think my next visit with him will be the last he will need to see me). All the doctor visits are extremely terrifying and stressful but I am also so grateful to be monitored so closely. 

Watch and wait is a completely acceptable treatment plan in my opinion but again, do what you feel comfortable with and please don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I am so happy I did! It is so important to have doctors that you trust 100%! It makes this journey a little less stressful.

Jenna

Jennab0525
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Patti! I too am a Stage 3B and was diagnosed in October of last year so I'm about 9 months out. I am in MN and I have seen two melanoma oncologists. The first was hard core pushing interferon and CLND. My family and I all did not feel comfortable with that oncologist so I chose to get a second opinion. My second onc went through all of the same options you discussed above in great detail and in the end said he strongly felt the best option was no CLND (he felt it was less than a 5% chance it would be in any other nodes) and watch and wait. I am very comfortable with that approach. I feel the same as you, why do a treatment or surgery that could cause horrible side effects and possible life long issues to treat something that isn't there and may never be back. Plus I am being watched so closely by my onc, dermatologist and surgeon that if it does come back we will catch it extremely early and I will cross that road when I get there. 

No matter what, the treatment is whatever you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different and everyone's melanoma is different. Example, my coworker and I were ironically diagnosed with melanoma a few weeks apart. He is a 3A. He had the CLND and interferon (forced upon him from the first onc I saw that I didn't like) and now he just had a PET that showed it spread. So really the interferon and CLND was for nothing because it came back anyway and he has suffered so much in the last 9 months.

Currently I am having CT scans and bloodwork every 3 months with my onc, skin checks with my dermatologist every 3 months and I see my surgeon who did my WLE every 3 months to check my incision (although I think my next visit with him will be the last he will need to see me). All the doctor visits are extremely terrifying and stressful but I am also so grateful to be monitored so closely. 

Watch and wait is a completely acceptable treatment plan in my opinion but again, do what you feel comfortable with and please don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I am so happy I did! It is so important to have doctors that you trust 100%! It makes this journey a little less stressful.

Jenna

Jennab0525
                                                                                                Participant

Jenna

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Hey Patti. Doesn’t this decision making suck?! Having to make these big decisions is so difficult! It seems like you’re approaching it the right way, though – collect as much info as you possibly can and go with your gut. We all have an individual journey, and you are the only one who has to walk in your shoes, so do what is best for you and don’t look back. If you choose “watch and wait” as your path, you can still be proactive – ultrasound of the groin lymph nodes is an option and increase your immune system naturally (exercise, good sleep habits, eat well, decrease stress). The choices for stage 3 do suck, but your outlook on your prognosis doesn’t have to. Whatever you choose, believe in your medicine!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Hey Patti. Doesn’t this decision making suck?! Having to make these big decisions is so difficult! It seems like you’re approaching it the right way, though – collect as much info as you possibly can and go with your gut. We all have an individual journey, and you are the only one who has to walk in your shoes, so do what is best for you and don’t look back. If you choose “watch and wait” as your path, you can still be proactive – ultrasound of the groin lymph nodes is an option and increase your immune system naturally (exercise, good sleep habits, eat well, decrease stress). The choices for stage 3 do suck, but your outlook on your prognosis doesn’t have to. Whatever you choose, believe in your medicine!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                      Participant

Lauren

Lee Parlier
                                                                                                        Participant

I had the exact same discussion with my Dr. in May of this year. I received the exact statistics and options you received. He was not a melanoma Dr. I felt strongly enough that I demanded Yervoy 10 mg treatment. I also have IBS.

He delayed and tried to get me to change my mind. I finally recieved my first dose in late May. I know everyone reacts different but I have been ok so far in my treatments with one more left. I am going to go to Duke to see a melanoma Dr. My personal feeling was that I at least want to try and if the side effects of yervoy are intolerable then so be it. I was not going to accept, lets do interferon because it is traditional. 

I am stage 3 c and do not want to think that I passed up my chance. Ultimately it is my life and as I left my Doc appointment literally more confused than when I was the day before, I wanted the best chance, not the traditional. I chose my treatment.

Lee Parlier
                                                                                                          Participant

I had the exact same discussion with my Dr. in May of this year. I received the exact statistics and options you received. He was not a melanoma Dr. I felt strongly enough that I demanded Yervoy 10 mg treatment. I also have IBS.

He delayed and tried to get me to change my mind. I finally recieved my first dose in late May. I know everyone reacts different but I have been ok so far in my treatments with one more left. I am going to go to Duke to see a melanoma Dr. My personal feeling was that I at least want to try and if the side effects of yervoy are intolerable then so be it. I was not going to accept, lets do interferon because it is traditional. 

I am stage 3 c and do not want to think that I passed up my chance. Ultimately it is my life and as I left my Doc appointment literally more confused than when I was the day before, I wanted the best chance, not the traditional. I chose my treatment.

Lee Parlier
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics