The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Very scared. Today PET results to see if there are melanoma in lymph nodes. In previous PET SUV 2.7 and 2.5.

Forums General Melanoma Community Very scared. Today PET results to see if there are melanoma in lymph nodes. In previous PET SUV 2.7 and 2.5.

Participant

Hi! My husband was diagnosed in 2012 stage3a melanoma , because he had micrometastasis in the sentinel node , the rest (12)  were clean. He had in 2012, 38 years old. He started in October 2012 with high doses of pegylated interferon for two months and after that continuous average dose to date. He was positive despite the side effects of pegylated interferon and was determined to complete the two years of treatment. He had from the diagnostic CT every 6 months thank God for all normal except when some nodes increased in size. So the oncologist  decided to make a pet. The result was very bad, there are many hot spots in the pelvis iliac chains, with SUV 2,7  other 2,1 other 1,5. The internal organs are clean.

The oncologist said he can not be certain that these nodes have melanoma and he can not make biopsy because nodes are too small. So he recommended repeat the pet in two months.  The oncologist believes nodes shine in the pet because they are inflamed by interferon. Also said that the iliac nodes can not be removed with surgery, that's very bad news….. you know if iliac nodes can not be removed with surgery?

So, Today we have the report of the second PET, and I am very very nervous … If you increase suv is very bad news, your prognostic will be worse. I have fear because they can not remove the lymph. My husband has no options? my husband is very worn by treatment with pegylated interferon. He's not in good physical condition even though he has 40 years old.

Someone had a recurrence in nodes that can not be removed with surgery?

I have much fear. I feel that the situation has no control.

Regards

Gaby (from argentina)

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Gaby –  the nodes may  light up from interferon as your oncologist said. I'm sure it is also affecting your husband's physical condition.      

I don't know the answer to the iliac nodes question so I hope someone else posts. 

Please let us know the results of the PET when you get them.  Thinking of both of you.

Fen

gaby
            Participant

hi guys.  Yesterday we received the report of PET. I think I have good news. We are not doctors but the nodes have equal size and equal level SUV two months ago. We understand that if  he has melanoma,  SUV level had increased significantly.  The more elevated SUV is 2.9.  Two months ago the same node was 2.7 SUV. I think they are swollen glands by interferon and is not the beast. We had two months very difficult so I try to be positive. Next Tuesday we have an appointment with the doctor.

My husband started with pegylated interferon 19 months ago.

I thank God and you for the support. This battle never ends …

What do you t about think the report of PET ?

Regards

gaby (from argentina)

gaby
              Participant

hi guys.  Yesterday we received the report of PET. I think I have good news. We are not doctors but the nodes have equal size and equal level SUV two months ago. We understand that if  he has melanoma,  SUV level had increased significantly.  The more elevated SUV is 2.9.  Two months ago the same node was 2.7 SUV. I think they are swollen glands by interferon and is not the beast. We had two months very difficult so I try to be positive. Next Tuesday we have an appointment with the doctor.

Regards

gaby (from argentina)

gaby
                Participant

Regards

gaby (from argentina)

Fen
                Participant

Gaby –  the nodes may  light up from interferon as your oncologist said. I'm sure it is also affecting your husband's physical condition.      

I don't know the answer to the iliac nodes question so I hope someone else posts. 

Please let us know the results of the PET when you get them.  Thinking of both of you.

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

Fen

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics