The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

very sad update about our friend Cass

Forums General Melanoma Community very sad update about our friend Cass

Participant

I don't want to write these words, but feel I should tell everyone now that our dear friend Cass passed away this week. She was known here for her brilliant scientific mind, and her equally brilliant soul. She emailed practical advice and encouragement to many people  – gently coaching them to never ever give up. Cass was a strategic fighter, and one of the first responders to PLX4032 -and it granted her one of the longest periods of stable disease thus far.

I don't want to write these words, but feel I should tell everyone now that our dear friend Cass passed away this week. She was known here for her brilliant scientific mind, and her equally brilliant soul. She emailed practical advice and encouragement to many people  – gently coaching them to never ever give up. Cass was a strategic fighter, and one of the first responders to PLX4032 -and it granted her one of the longest periods of stable disease thus far. Even when the mel came back with a vengeance she refused to let doctors tell her her situation was dire, as she believed wholeheartedly that she would beat melanoma.  And in spite of hospital screw ups, and the trials and tribulations of everyday life, she succeeded for a very long time.
      I apologize for saying this here, but I hate melanoma so f'n much, and know Cass is with me on that. She will be missed.

Viewing 25 reply threads
    • Replies
        James from Sydney
        Participant

Linda thank you for letting us know. Cass was incredible support to me when  Michael was struggling. I will never forget her. You were a great friend to her. 

It might take a little more time but Melanoma just wait…….. we will have the last laugh!

James

James from Sydney
          Participant

Linda thank you for letting us know. Cass was incredible support to me when  Michael was struggling. I will never forget her. You were a great friend to her. 

It might take a little more time but Melanoma just wait…….. we will have the last laugh!

James

NicOz
            Participant

Oh $hit. I'm hearing you on that, love. Gwyn Will be sorely missed and I'll think about her everytime I watch that scene in that Star Trek movie 🙂 My love goes out to her daughter. I am really just devastated to hear this, what a fantstic people and support she's been for many here over the years. In fact, I might just go and put it on now and raise a glass- I know she'd know exactly what I'm about by doing it 🙂

xxx

NicOz
              Participant

Oh $hit. I'm hearing you on that, love. Gwyn Will be sorely missed and I'll think about her everytime I watch that scene in that Star Trek movie 🙂 My love goes out to her daughter. I am really just devastated to hear this, what a fantstic people and support she's been for many here over the years. In fact, I might just go and put it on now and raise a glass- I know she'd know exactly what I'm about by doing it 🙂

xxx

KellieSue
                Participant

I'm so sad to hear this! I so looked forward to her posts. She was so knowledgable and really seemed to know what was going on. My thoughts to her family.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV since June 2008

KellieSue
                  Participant

I'm so sad to hear this! I so looked forward to her posts. She was so knowledgable and really seemed to know what was going on. My thoughts to her family.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV since June 2008

lhaley
                    Participant

Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear about Cass.  There are no words that can make it easier. Just know that she fought such a difficult fight and is now at peace. You are definitely not alone hating melamona!!!!

Thank you for letting us know,

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear about Cass.  There are no words that can make it easier. Just know that she fought such a difficult fight and is now at peace. You are definitely not alone hating melamona!!!!

Thank you for letting us know,

Linda

glewis923
                        Participant

I'm very sorry to hear about Cass.  I'm glad you informed us.  There are quite a few posts (posters) that I read from archives or in past 2 yrs. that  I wonder:  How are these people who helped me??   ….as many either quit posting often or worse yet, have died from this FU@#%NG disease,  And I for one do not apoligize for saying what I think- know- IT is.  

I recently email Bill58, who, like me now, had multiple brain tumors.  His last post was on 11-5-10 i think.  He still sounded optimistic, and the picture of him, probably younger than I, on a wagon in a giant Mid-Western pumpkin patch, really got to me for some reason.  This was last week I inquired thru his contact email.  His wife informed me that he died in January.  It just sucks.  I wonder about his children.  I don't even know if he had any yet.  

Since I've gotten "worse" I have tried to talk more to all of ya'll.  I feel more of a bond than ever, and appreciate ALL of you on this board !    Also,  I get hope and more of a stubborn will to fight the THING;  like win one for Cass, or bill58, or Sharon in Reno, or others no longer with us.  I'm sure they'd want us to win one for them.  I know I would.

Love,  Grady & Family.

SusanE
                            Participant

Hang in there Grady and I am sorry to hear about Cass. This disease is so very frustrating. It can make you feel so helpless and completely terrified- at least for me.

I wish people wouldn't stop posting. MichaelFL and Charlie rarely post. I miss Sharon from Reno. I loved her. She was so positive.

You take care and you better win one for them!

Susan wife to Jerry

SusanE
                              Participant

Hang in there Grady and I am sorry to hear about Cass. This disease is so very frustrating. It can make you feel so helpless and completely terrified- at least for me.

I wish people wouldn't stop posting. MichaelFL and Charlie rarely post. I miss Sharon from Reno. I loved her. She was so positive.

You take care and you better win one for them!

Susan wife to Jerry

glewis923
                              Participant

I'm very sorry to hear about Cass.  I'm glad you informed us.  There are quite a few posts (posters) that I read from archives or in past 2 yrs. that  I wonder:  How are these people who helped me??   ….as many either quit posting often or worse yet, have died from this FU@#%NG disease,  And I for one do not apoligize for saying what I think- know- IT is.  

I recently email Bill58, who, like me now, had multiple brain tumors.  His last post was on 11-5-10 i think.  He still sounded optimistic, and the picture of him, probably younger than I, on a wagon in a giant Mid-Western pumpkin patch, really got to me for some reason.  This was last week I inquired thru his contact email.  His wife informed me that he died in January.  It just sucks.  I wonder about his children.  I don't even know if he had any yet.  

Since I've gotten "worse" I have tried to talk more to all of ya'll.  I feel more of a bond than ever, and appreciate ALL of you on this board !    Also,  I get hope and more of a stubborn will to fight the THING;  like win one for Cass, or bill58, or Sharon in Reno, or others no longer with us.  I'm sure they'd want us to win one for them.  I know I would.

Love,  Grady & Family.

Eileen L
                                Participant

Linda, thanks so much for letting us know about Cass. She was an incredible fighter and I will always have a place for her in my heart.  She taught me the value of persistence and courage. I remember her once telling me that fighting mel was like playing "wap a mole." Every time it pops up its ugly little head you have to hit it as hard as you can.  That funny little image has helped me through many of my own treatment decisions, heated discussions with my oncologist, etc. I will miss her. My prayers go out to her family, especially her daughter.

Eileen L

Stage IV

Eileen L
                                  Participant

Linda, thanks so much for letting us know about Cass. She was an incredible fighter and I will always have a place for her in my heart.  She taught me the value of persistence and courage. I remember her once telling me that fighting mel was like playing "wap a mole." Every time it pops up its ugly little head you have to hit it as hard as you can.  That funny little image has helped me through many of my own treatment decisions, heated discussions with my oncologist, etc. I will miss her. My prayers go out to her family, especially her daughter.

Eileen L

Stage IV

Sharyn
                                    Participant

Oh, Linda, this is sooo sad!  Gwyn became a great friend over the past few years, was always up for a looong chat or a lengthy email, and in the midst of ther own setbacks, (both personal and medical), still reached out to others to offer as much help and advice to others as she possibly could. I will miss her so very much. Rest in pease, my friend. I'll never forget you.

Sharyn, Stage IV 

Sharyn
                                      Participant

Oh, Linda, this is sooo sad!  Gwyn became a great friend over the past few years, was always up for a looong chat or a lengthy email, and in the midst of ther own setbacks, (both personal and medical), still reached out to others to offer as much help and advice to others as she possibly could. I will miss her so very much. Rest in pease, my friend. I'll never forget you.

Sharyn, Stage IV 

ValinMtl
                                        Participant

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Although I never knew her personally I know many here thought highly of her and how bravely she fought.  So sad. Val

ValinMtl
                                          Participant

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Although I never knew her personally I know many here thought highly of her and how bravely she fought.  So sad. Val

Suzan AB
                                            Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and the loss of another Warrior…It hurts!

Sending you healing prayers for your grief.

My best to you and yours,

Suzan AB

Stage IV

Suzan AB
                                              Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and the loss of another Warrior…It hurts!

Sending you healing prayers for your grief.

My best to you and yours,

Suzan AB

Stage IV

Bonnie Lea
                                                Participant

Linda I know how hard this was for you to post.   thankyou very much for everyone here.  I know also how hard it was for you when folks asked you about her state.  It is hard on those who are close to a member, and then ends being the bearer of bad news.    I also hate it when folks just stop posting, as we never know if they really have decided to move on, and live their lives, or have passed away, and it is hard to simply 'cold write' only to be told they have died.

On another board for another disease, I once went through that, trying to find someone who was part of a group, and she simply just stopped writing.  that board did not allow personal contact.  that was a board that both Kurk and I met, and he directed most deviously I might add (hahah) to here, where great friendshhips and bonds have formed for me.  However, I pleaded with the moderators and she finally added a 'sticky' to ask everyone to at least let the board members know if they are planning on moving on.  the girl in question never did, and non of us (still friends) know what happened to her.  She was on the verge of having a mental breakdown, due to thyroid issues.  we were not allowed to use our personal names or stuff, though several of us managed to work magic.  I always will wonder about her.

So even though we end up finding out in hard ways of the passing of one of our friends here, We do appreciate those who end up having to inform us.  I have instructed my daughter and my husband both to post here, when I am unable, for what ever reason, and I believe Jennifer did during one of my hospital times.  also on a board I belong to for the brain stuff.

I will miss Cass  (dear Cassandra)  how at times her humour made even me laugh out loud.  She had such good thoughts and ideas, and I have missed her over these past many months.

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                  Participant

Linda I know how hard this was for you to post.   thankyou very much for everyone here.  I know also how hard it was for you when folks asked you about her state.  It is hard on those who are close to a member, and then ends being the bearer of bad news.    I also hate it when folks just stop posting, as we never know if they really have decided to move on, and live their lives, or have passed away, and it is hard to simply 'cold write' only to be told they have died.

On another board for another disease, I once went through that, trying to find someone who was part of a group, and she simply just stopped writing.  that board did not allow personal contact.  that was a board that both Kurk and I met, and he directed most deviously I might add (hahah) to here, where great friendshhips and bonds have formed for me.  However, I pleaded with the moderators and she finally added a 'sticky' to ask everyone to at least let the board members know if they are planning on moving on.  the girl in question never did, and non of us (still friends) know what happened to her.  She was on the verge of having a mental breakdown, due to thyroid issues.  we were not allowed to use our personal names or stuff, though several of us managed to work magic.  I always will wonder about her.

So even though we end up finding out in hard ways of the passing of one of our friends here, We do appreciate those who end up having to inform us.  I have instructed my daughter and my husband both to post here, when I am unable, for what ever reason, and I believe Jennifer did during one of my hospital times.  also on a board I belong to for the brain stuff.

I will miss Cass  (dear Cassandra)  how at times her humour made even me laugh out loud.  She had such good thoughts and ideas, and I have missed her over these past many months.

Bonnie Lea

Jim M.
                                                    Participant

Cassandra was a big support for me and I remember giving her info. on the Ipi trial. She was not afraid to say what was on her mind. If I remember correctly she was a single mom and was caring for her mother on limited resources. I admired her openness about her struggles and life experiences. Yes, she was knowledgeable about so much regarding melanoma.

Cassandra, may you rest in peace always in the loving arms of our Savior.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                      Participant

Cassandra was a big support for me and I remember giving her info. on the Ipi trial. She was not afraid to say what was on her mind. If I remember correctly she was a single mom and was caring for her mother on limited resources. I admired her openness about her struggles and life experiences. Yes, she was knowledgeable about so much regarding melanoma.

Cassandra, may you rest in peace always in the loving arms of our Savior.

Jim M.

Amy Busby
                                                        Participant

I am heartbroken, yet again.  I had the pleasure of meeting her on the phone, of hearing her determination.  But also hearing the frustration and fear.  She was in SO much pain.  And yes, she was a single mother.  I wish her daughter well, and will be praying for her.  Also the rest of her family & friends.  I wish that when she called I had been able to offer her more hope, more leads for some treatments.  But like me she was reaching the end of the line.

Rest in Peace warrior.

Amy Busby
                                                          Participant

I am heartbroken, yet again.  I had the pleasure of meeting her on the phone, of hearing her determination.  But also hearing the frustration and fear.  She was in SO much pain.  And yes, she was a single mother.  I wish her daughter well, and will be praying for her.  Also the rest of her family & friends.  I wish that when she called I had been able to offer her more hope, more leads for some treatments.  But like me she was reaching the end of the line.

Rest in Peace warrior.

Amy Busby
                                                            Participant

Rest in Peace warrior.

Amy Busby
                                                              Participant

Rest in Peace warrior.

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics