The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

VATS surgery is done! Right lung is clear!

Forums General Melanoma Community VATS surgery is done! Right lung is clear!

Participant

My husband compled his second VATS surgery this morning. His first VATS surgery was in October 2013. They removed a 4 cm nodule and a very tiny one. The right lung is cancer free for now and hopefully ever. He is at NIH and they are taking the tissue and making TIL cells to freeze in case he needs them.

There are a few very tiny nodules in the left lung and hopefully when he restarts Opdivo they will vanish!! We are feeling cautiously optimistic!! After so many ups and downs, it feels great to be in this place!! Best wishes to everyone!!

Maureen

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Awesome news Maureen. Happy for you two. Where are you doing the Opdivo?

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Brian

Maureen038
              Participant

Thanks Brian! He will hopefully be able to have the Opdivo in Md with his oncologist. We are thrilled about the right lung being clear, but we are not sure yet if he can restart the Opdivo after four weeks because there is no measurable disease now. If anyone knows the answer to this, that would be great. Right now, we are just enjoying his status and praying it stays this way. I hope things are still well with you Brian!

Maureen

Maureen038
                Participant

Thanks Brian! He will hopefully be able to have the Opdivo in Md with his oncologist. We are thrilled about the right lung being clear, but we are not sure yet if he can restart the Opdivo after four weeks because there is no measurable disease now. If anyone knows the answer to this, that would be great. Right now, we are just enjoying his status and praying it stays this way. I hope things are still well with you Brian!

Maureen

Maureen038
                  Participant

Maureen

BrianP
                  Participant

Brian

JoshF
                    Participant

This is great news….and I'm praying it's only good news to come for years!!!

Josh

Maureen038
                        Participant

Thanks Josh!! I very much appreciate that! 

Maureen

Maureen038
                          Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
                            Participant

Maureen

JoshF
                            Participant

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Josh

Mat
                                Participant

Maureen, congratulations.  Interesting to hear that the NIH was willing to grow and freeze your husband's cells knowing that he is going back to PD-1.  

Cooper
                                    Participant

Wow, you've been through so much with your husband.  But didn't he do the TIL/ACT already and have tumors come back?  Will they do it again?

Cooper
                                      Participant

Wow, you've been through so much with your husband.  But didn't he do the TIL/ACT already and have tumors come back?  Will they do it again?

Cooper
                                        Participant

Maureen038
                                          Participant

Hopefully, my husband will never have the TIL therapy again, But it's an important back-up plan for him just in case.  Since he has had the TIL therapy NOTHING new has appeared. The only big concern was the lymph nodes were getting bigger during theTIL therapy and the Ipi/nivolumbab trial, but the nodes are all stable or have shrunk.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                            Participant

Hopefully, my husband will never have the TIL therapy again, But it's an important back-up plan for him just in case.  Since he has had the TIL therapy NOTHING new has appeared. The only big concern was the lymph nodes were getting bigger during theTIL therapy and the Ipi/nivolumbab trial, but the nodes are all stable or have shrunk.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                              Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                Participant

Thanks Mat! I think the whole process has changed since we were there in the summer of 2014. My husband's roommate is having surgery tomorrow for the TIL therapy and I believe he will be back in 7-10 days to start the trial. It use to be at least three weeks to grow the cells for  TIL therapy. The roommate was on the yervoy/nivolumbab trial and it hadn't worked. I hope this works for him.

There will be a PBS special on cancer the last days of March and the beginning of April. One part is on Dr. Rosenberg's work.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                  Participant

Thanks Mat! I think the whole process has changed since we were there in the summer of 2014. My husband's roommate is having surgery tomorrow for the TIL therapy and I believe he will be back in 7-10 days to start the trial. It use to be at least three weeks to grow the cells for  TIL therapy. The roommate was on the yervoy/nivolumbab trial and it hadn't worked. I hope this works for him.

There will be a PBS special on cancer the last days of March and the beginning of April. One part is on Dr. Rosenberg's work.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                    Participant

Maureen

JoshF
                                                      Participant

How do you qualify for TIL…is NIH only place doing it? The little bit I've read about it is that it can be real effective. What qualifies you fo it?

Josh

JoshF
                                                        Participant

How do you qualify for TIL…is NIH only place doing it? The little bit I've read about it is that it can be real effective. What qualifies you fo it?

Josh

JoshF
                                                          Participant

Josh

Mat
                                                            Participant

Josh, the NIH is the leading institution for TIL, though they are known to be selective.  That said, younger and otherwise healthy patients should qualify.  You need to have a resectable tumor that they can use to grow cells.  I think that it needs to be in the range of 2 cm or greater.  TIL is also available at MDA, Moffitt and Seattle, but they have less experience with the treatment.  Much like with other treatments, there are both home runs and sad stories.

Mat
                                                              Participant

Josh, the NIH is the leading institution for TIL, though they are known to be selective.  That said, younger and otherwise healthy patients should qualify.  You need to have a resectable tumor that they can use to grow cells.  I think that it needs to be in the range of 2 cm or greater.  TIL is also available at MDA, Moffitt and Seattle, but they have less experience with the treatment.  Much like with other treatments, there are both home runs and sad stories.

Mat
                                                                Participant

Maureen038
                                                                  Participant

Josh,

I would highly recommend NIH!! If you go on their website, look for clinical trials just at NIH for metastatic melanoma. You can personally write Dr. Rosenberg at [email protected] or Linda Williams at [email protected] or call 1-866-820-4505. I know you can't have more than three brain metastasis less than 1 cm. Also, they need a respectable lesion. My husband skin nodule was just 1 cm.

My husbands surgery was yesterday. Everyone there was so kind and professional!! Twice, the head nurse called me during the surgery to let me know that they started and when they were finished. We have never been treated as well anywhere else and the level of caution and safety is very high! I wish you the very best Josh!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                    Participant

Josh,

I would highly recommend NIH!! If you go on their website, look for clinical trials just at NIH for metastatic melanoma. You can personally write Dr. Rosenberg at [email protected] or Linda Williams at [email protected] or call 1-866-820-4505. I know you can't have more than three brain metastasis less than 1 cm. Also, they need a respectable lesion. My husband skin nodule was just 1 cm.

My husbands surgery was yesterday. Everyone there was so kind and professional!! Twice, the head nurse called me during the surgery to let me know that they started and when they were finished. We have never been treated as well anywhere else and the level of caution and safety is very high! I wish you the very best Josh!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                      Participant

Josh,

Maureen

Mat
                                                                      Participant

Maureen, congratulations.  Interesting to hear that the NIH was willing to grow and freeze your husband's cells knowing that he is going back to PD-1.  

Mat
                                                                        Participant

Bubbles
                                                                          Participant

Congrats!  Hope this marks a turn-around that you and your husband certainly deserve!!!  c

Bubbles
                                                                            Participant

Congrats!  Hope this marks a turn-around that you and your husband certainly deserve!!!  c

Bubbles
                                                                              Participant

Maureen038
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you so much Celeste!! Thank you too for your blog post on my complaint about patients rights for clinical trials!! You have done so much to inform people and I'm tremendously grateful to you and many others!!

By the way, here's GREAT NEWS!!!! My husbands 4 cm tumour that kept growing since last spring with a very high SUV of 19.5 was MOSTLY DEAD, but there are SO many lymphocytes that they are having no trouble making TIL cells.

WOW!!!

Maureen

Brendan
                                                                                    Participant

Great news!!!!  Glad to hear it.  

Good luck to you both.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                      Participant

Good luck to you both.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                        Participant

Good luck to you both.

Brendan

Bubbles
                                                                                          Participant

Maureen,

That is GREAT news!!!!  I am so happy!!!! c

Maureen038
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you Brendan and Celeste!!! Even though we feel it's such fantastic news, we also feel guilty too. It sucks that all these news drugs don't work on everyone. I remember you wrote about survivor's guilt on your blog Celeste. It's definitely a day of mixed emotions, but mostly joy. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you Brendan and Celeste!!! Even though we feel it's such fantastic news, we also feel guilty too. It sucks that all these news drugs don't work on everyone. I remember you wrote about survivor's guilt on your blog Celeste. It's definitely a day of mixed emotions, but mostly joy. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                                                                Participant

Maureen 

Bubbles
                                                                                                  Participant

Maureen,

Bubbles
                                                                                                    Participant

Maureen,

Maureen038
                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you so much Celeste!! Thank you too for your blog post on my complaint about patients rights for clinical trials!! You have done so much to inform people and I'm tremendously grateful to you and many others!!

By the way, here's GREAT NEWS!!!! My husbands 4 cm tumour that kept growing since last spring with a very high SUV of 19.5 was MOSTLY DEAD, but there are SO many lymphocytes that they are having no trouble making TIL cells.

WOW!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                        Participant

WOW!!!

Maureen

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics