The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

vacationing in Mexico, should I get some color before I go?

Forums General Melanoma Community vacationing in Mexico, should I get some color before I go?

Participant

We will be vacationing in Mexico, a beach vacation, for 14 days.  We are spending two days on a boat so will be very exposed to sun.  Would it be a good idea to get 10 minutes of sun a day before I go, so that my skin has a little natural protection?  I won't burn in 10 minutes, I will simply develop some protective color.  I had melanoma years ago, earliest stage.  I tried to find information on google but everything was conflicting. 

We will be vacationing in Mexico, a beach vacation, for 14 days.  We are spending two days on a boat so will be very exposed to sun.  Would it be a good idea to get 10 minutes of sun a day before I go, so that my skin has a little natural protection?  I won't burn in 10 minutes, I will simply develop some protective color.  I had melanoma years ago, earliest stage.  I tried to find information on google but everything was conflicting. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

A "base tan" is sun damage.  No other words for it.  The goal is to avoid color and a base tan defies that.  I think it would be better just to cover up and/or reapply sunscreen OFTEN (every two hours at the minimum or more often if in the water).  Most people don't apply enough sunblock or reapply often enough.  Using blocks with a physical barrier (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) are best for preventing UVA damage.  You basically don't see UVA damage on the skin and it is the damage most implicated with melanoma.

You're asking this on a BB with people actively fighting melanoma so the tolerance for a "tan" is probably less than you might find elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Janner

mlbjab
            Participant

Interesting.  So are you saying that the most dangerous rays do not even give the skin a brown color?  I always thought a burn was bad, but a light tan was actually safe and healthy.  Shows what I know.

Janner
              Participant

UVB rays are the rays that cause "color".  UVB causes the other forms of skin cancer.  UVA is thought mostly responsible for melanoma.  Certainly, bad burns increase your risk of melanoma, but any color raises your risks for skin cancer.  Having had a melanoma already, you are also at higher risk for the other skin cancers as well as another melanoma.  You get to make your own choices about sun exposure, but I'd do a little more research on a "safe tan" if I was you.  Have a good trip!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

UVB rays are the rays that cause "color".  UVB causes the other forms of skin cancer.  UVA is thought mostly responsible for melanoma.  Certainly, bad burns increase your risk of melanoma, but any color raises your risks for skin cancer.  Having had a melanoma already, you are also at higher risk for the other skin cancers as well as another melanoma.  You get to make your own choices about sun exposure, but I'd do a little more research on a "safe tan" if I was you.  Have a good trip!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

mlbjab
                    Participant

Interesting.  So are you saying that the most dangerous rays do not even give the skin a brown color?  I always thought a burn was bad, but a light tan was actually safe and healthy.  Shows what I know.

mlbjab
                      Participant

Bob B.
                        Participant

Strictly from personal experience growing up on the beach in Southern California, living most of my life in the tropics (Brazil, Costa Rica), ozone hole/high melanoma areas like SW Australia- you already know what I think.   As I've confessed, I know next to nothing about melanoma.  That is, other than two primaries the last two years and the recent biopsies revealing malignancies of one kind or another.   For this reason and because I've been 'burned' in a quite different way for doing so, I'm reluctant to venture an opinion.   Strictly from my own experience again, I continue to feel concern about regular, moderate sun exposure is nonsense.   Sorry.   If it helps assuage anger at the tyro Stage 1 with the temerity to speak out, it's just my opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Bob B.
                          Participant

Strictly from personal experience growing up on the beach in Southern California, living most of my life in the tropics (Brazil, Costa Rica), ozone hole/high melanoma areas like SW Australia- you already know what I think.   As I've confessed, I know next to nothing about melanoma.  That is, other than two primaries the last two years and the recent biopsies revealing malignancies of one kind or another.   For this reason and because I've been 'burned' in a quite different way for doing so, I'm reluctant to venture an opinion.   Strictly from my own experience again, I continue to feel concern about regular, moderate sun exposure is nonsense.   Sorry.   If it helps assuage anger at the tyro Stage 1 with the temerity to speak out, it's just my opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Bob B.
                            Participant

Bob B.
                              Participant

"Tolerance for (the word) 'tan'"?    Sorry, politically correct nonsense.   Check recent studies.  Not decades of received wisdom from the heliophobic health & sunblock establishment.   Common sense, please? 

Bob B.
                                Participant

"Tolerance for (the word) 'tan'"?    Sorry, politically correct nonsense.   Check recent studies.  Not decades of received wisdom from the heliophobic health & sunblock establishment.   Common sense, please? 

Bob B.
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

A "base tan" is sun damage.  No other words for it.  The goal is to avoid color and a base tan defies that.  I think it would be better just to cover up and/or reapply sunscreen OFTEN (every two hours at the minimum or more often if in the water).  Most people don't apply enough sunblock or reapply often enough.  Using blocks with a physical barrier (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) are best for preventing UVA damage.  You basically don't see UVA damage on the skin and it is the damage most implicated with melanoma.

You're asking this on a BB with people actively fighting melanoma so the tolerance for a "tan" is probably less than you might find elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

natasha
                                      Participant

Hi!

I am thinking about summer vacations as well. My husnabds#'s parents live in Cyprus ,and it is very hot and sunny in where.

I do know about all protection I need,but I am so scared ,I even think do not go at all. Is it best option do not go to sunny countries ?

Natasha

natasha
                                        Participant

Hi!

I am thinking about summer vacations as well. My husnabds#'s parents live in Cyprus ,and it is very hot and sunny in where.

I do know about all protection I need,but I am so scared ,I even think do not go at all. Is it best option do not go to sunny countries ?

Natasha

natasha
                                          Participant

Hi!

Natasha

Janner
                                              Participant

I don't agree.  If you change your plans because of melanoma, then it has already won!  I do what I want in life, then try to do it smarter.  If I go to somewhere sunny, I just make sure I have sun clothing and sun block.  Then I go have fun!  I give melanoma the respect it deserves and then I do what I want. 

Janner

Janner
                                                Participant

I don't agree.  If you change your plans because of melanoma, then it has already won!  I do what I want in life, then try to do it smarter.  If I go to somewhere sunny, I just make sure I have sun clothing and sun block.  Then I go have fun!  I give melanoma the respect it deserves and then I do what I want. 

Janner

Janner
                                                  Participant

Janner

natasha
                                                    Participant

Thank you , Janner!

You said in previuos posts ,melanoma increase risk of another cancers.

It is interesting question for me . My melanoma was on the breast ,so I spoke with my Doc about breast or another cancers possibility ,and he says it is no correlation between one cancer and another,

Sometimes it seems to me my Doctor just very kind and polite and sometimes he says what I want to hear.Or am I wrong ?

Janner
                                                      Participant

There are studies that suggest some correlation between melanoma and breast cancer but it's been a long time since I've looked at the data.  People who have a genetic defect for melanoma are at higher risk for other cancers, too.  But the cancers I was referring to in my posts were Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) and Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC).  These are the other common skin cancers.  Once you've had melanoma, your risk for both these other skin cancers increases.  And while they may not seem like a big deal to most, they can cause a lot of tissue destruction and removal can be disfiguring.  BCC lacks the ability to metastasize, but SCC can.  I know people whose scars for removal of these types of cancer are larger than their WLE's for melanoma. 

Janner
                                                        Participant

There are studies that suggest some correlation between melanoma and breast cancer but it's been a long time since I've looked at the data.  People who have a genetic defect for melanoma are at higher risk for other cancers, too.  But the cancers I was referring to in my posts were Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) and Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC).  These are the other common skin cancers.  Once you've had melanoma, your risk for both these other skin cancers increases.  And while they may not seem like a big deal to most, they can cause a lot of tissue destruction and removal can be disfiguring.  BCC lacks the ability to metastasize, but SCC can.  I know people whose scars for removal of these types of cancer are larger than their WLE's for melanoma. 

Janner
                                                          Participant

natasha
                                                            Participant

Thank you , Janner!

It is interesting question for me . My melanoma was on the breast ,so I spoke with my Doc about breast or another cancers possibility ,and he says it is no correlation between one cancer and another,

Sometimes it seems to me my Doctor just very kind and polite and sometimes he says what I want to hear.Or am I wrong ?

natasha
                                                              Participant

Thank you , Janner!

Linny
                                                                Participant

I agree with Janner. Don't let melanoma run your life. If you want to go someplace sunny on vacation, then go. We went to Jamaica last November and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We did go to the beach, which had ample shade that we took advantage of. Our beach time generally was from 10:30 – noon-ish and/or 3:00-4:30. Basically we tried to avoid the beach when the sun was at its peak.  Even with all the shade we had, I still wore sunblock. I went swimming, I snorkeled — no way was I not going to enjoy myself. I went home as lily-white as when I arrived…LOL.

If you go someplace sunny on vacation, you need to be smart about it: bring sun block, wear a hat, wear sun clothing, stay in the shade when possible, and above all, have a good time!

Bob B.
                                                                  Participant

Covered in dubious goop shrouded like a vampire in disguise dreading the daylight?   For a "good time" like this, how about Alaska in winter.   πŸ™‚

Bob B.
                                                                    Participant

Covered in dubious goop shrouded like a vampire in disguise dreading the daylight?   For a "good time" like this, how about Alaska in winter.   πŸ™‚

Bob B.
                                                                      Participant

Linny
                                                                        Participant

I agree with Janner. Don't let melanoma run your life. If you want to go someplace sunny on vacation, then go. We went to Jamaica last November and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We did go to the beach, which had ample shade that we took advantage of. Our beach time generally was from 10:30 – noon-ish and/or 3:00-4:30. Basically we tried to avoid the beach when the sun was at its peak.  Even with all the shade we had, I still wore sunblock. I went swimming, I snorkeled — no way was I not going to enjoy myself. I went home as lily-white as when I arrived…LOL.

If you go someplace sunny on vacation, you need to be smart about it: bring sun block, wear a hat, wear sun clothing, stay in the shade when possible, and above all, have a good time!

Linny
                                                                          Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                          Participant

Remember, no tan is a healthy tan! πŸ™‚ 

One of the best things my doctor told me was "Don't fear the sun." I'm sun safe, but not paranoid! Just be smart…AND HAVE A GOOD TIME!

CLPrice31
                                                                            Participant

One of the best things my doctor told me was "Don't fear the sun." I'm sun safe, but not paranoid! Just be smart…AND HAVE A GOOD TIME!

CLPrice31
                                                                              Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                Participant

More conflicting information:   Yes!

Bob B.
                                                                                  Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics